Short Essay Questions Key
1. Why does the narrator in the Introduction say you might call this novel a ghost story?
2. Why does the narrator say the story belongs to Chick Benetto?
3. Who tells the narrator about Chick Benetto?
4. What game does the narrator learn that Chick Benetto once played as a professional player?
5. What question does the narrator pose at the end of the Introduction?
6. What did the narrator later find belonging to Chick Benetto that was used in writing this book?
7. What event caused Chick Benetto to lose faith in himself?
8. To whose wedding is Chick Benetto not invited?
9. Why does Chick Benetto drive toward his home town?
10. What happens on the way to Chick's hometown?
11. Who does Chick see when he jumps from the water tower?
12. What phrase does Chick feel describes him completely?
13. Why did Posey refer to Chick as a Daddy's boy?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)