• The narrator introduces the main character, Chick Benetto.
• Chick is described as a one time professional baseball player.
• At one time, Chick attempted to kill himself.
• Chick was raised by a woman described as wild. Her name is Posey.
• The book's main theme will deal with the death of a loved one and a person's desire to speak to that loved one one more time.
• Chick's mother has been dead for two years, during which time Chick feels his life has deteriorated.
• Chick recieves a picture from his daughter's wedding and realized he was not invited to the wedding.
• Chick begins to drink heavily and becomes irresponsible in regards to his time spent at work.
• Chick calls his ex-wife and argues with her, implying he intends to commit suicide at the end of the conversation.
• Chick buys beer and begins driving to his childhood hometown.
This section contains 1,739 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)