|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, We Know That We are Supported at Home.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the discussion of "short-timers" psychology in the Union army, what was the name of the rule that prevented this phenomenon in the Confederate army?
(a) Richmond Confederacy.
(b) Richmond Congress.
(c) Southern Congress.
(d) Congress of Confederates.
2. In the discussion of Bell Wiley's study of Billy Yank, how many Union soldiers were interested in emancipation out of every ten surveyed?
3. McPherson says that one of the reasons for this famous Confederate general's invasion of Tennessee during November 1864 was a hope to revitalize the troops from that state. What was this general's name?
(a) General Braxton Bragg.
(b) General Jubal Early.
(c) General James Longstreet.
(d) General John B. Hood.
4. During the discussion of what sustained soldiers during the Civil War, what does McPherson say was a dominant theme in the letters home?
5. At the end of "Chapter Two: We Were in Earnest," readers find that the "we were in earnest" chapter title comes from a soldier in which of the following regiments?
(a) 36th Pennsylvania.
(b) 42nd Georgia.
(c) 23rd Virginia.
(d) 19th Massachusetts.
Short Answer Questions
1. From which state was the lieutenant who wrote in March 1862 that he would never "be instrumental in returning a slave to his master in any way shape or manner, I'll die first"?
2. In "Chapter 8: The Cause of Liberty," which immigrant group drew the clearest parallels between the fight for the Union and the fight for liberty in their home country?
3. While talking about the Emancipation Proclamation's effect on Union morale, McPherson says that, in comparison to enlisted men, what percentage of officers supported emancipation?
4. Toward the end of "Chapter 3: Anxious for the Fray," McPherson notes that men were shocked by war as most of them were in what age group?
5. During the discussion of what sustained soldiers during the Civil War, which of the following played a large part in maintaining morale?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)