|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Twain stop with on the way down the mountain?
2. What did Twain use for transportation in India after seeing the Taj Mahal?
3. Who did Ramzam work for?
4. How did Twain get to Mauritius?
5. What compartments would servants hold for their masters on trains?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain describe the river in Benares?
2. How did Twain describe the Taj Mahal?
3. What did Twain like visiting in Benares?
4. Who controlled Mauritius, and how was the island affected?
5. What did Twain do during his layover on the way to Benares?
6. What did Twain do to pass the time while sailing to Africa?
7. What did Twain find interesting about his ship to Mauritius?
8. What did Twain have to do to get sleeping compartments on the train?
9. What disappointed Twain about his trip to Baroda?
10. What was The Great Mutiny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain was a very objective observer while on this trip. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation affect the narration of this trip?
Essay Topic 2
How did Twain's relationship with his wife and daughter change and progress over the course of this trip? What clues were given to the deepness of their relationship, and how do these change the feeling of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Samuel Clemens chose to use his pen name for a book that was so autobiographical in nature? How did this affect this narrative for the good and bad?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)