|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the people in Benares bathe in the river?
2. What compartments would servants hold for their masters on trains?
3. What did Sir Colin Campbell lead?
4. What dangerous animal was attacking people in India?
5. What natural disaster damaged Port Louis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain describe Mauritius?
2. What happened to Suttee widows?
3. Who was Ramzam and what happened to him?
4. What did Twain find interesting about his ship to Mauritius?
5. Who were the Boers, and what did they do?
6. What did Twain say about Government House?
7. What disappointed Twain about his trip to Baroda?
8. What did Twain do during his layover on the way to Benares?
9. What did Twain and his family do while traveling through the mountains?
10. What did the people in Benares use the river for and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did religion fit in this narrative, and why were these instances so important to Twain to include in his travel journal?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why ? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Twain was a very objective observer while on this trip. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation affect the narration of this trip?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)