|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of place did Twain stay in while in Mauritius?
2. Why was Ramzam hired?
3. What cliff did they view while in the mountains?
4. What month did Twain leave Calcutta?
5. How long was the layover on the way to Benares?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain describe the Taj Mahal?
2. Who was Jameson, and what did he do?
3. What did the people in Benares use the river for and why?
4. What was Twain surprised by when he got to Port Louis?
5. What did Twain do during his layover on the way to Benares?
6. How did Twain describe the river in Benares?
7. What did Twain say about Government House?
8. What was The Great Mutiny?
9. Who were the Thuggees, and how did Twain know about them?
10. Why did Twain not see all he wanted in Calcutta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain was a very objective observer while on this trip. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation affect the narration of this trip?
Essay Topic 2
Where did religion fit in this narrative, and why were these instances so important to Twain to include in his travel journal?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the narrative. Why might Twain have chosen these particular places for his trip around the world?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)