|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the two men on the train tell Twain he would like?
2. What was the first livestock kept in Australia?
3. What islands did Twain see in September?
4. Where did Twain live before he took this trip?
5. Why was Twain never able to fulfill his pledges to himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Twain learn about New Zealand before visiting there?
2. What kind of hunt did Twain watch, and how did he feel about it?
3. How did people in Australia communicate before they had roads?
4. Why did Twain like talking to the Englishman on the ship?
5. What did Twain do in Christchurch?
6. What happened in Ballaratt, and what did this cause?
7. What animal was introduced to New Zealand?
8. What was Twain's first impression of the culture in Australia, and why was he surprised by this?
9. What did Twain first see when he landed at Australia?
10. What was the story of Sir Roger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Twain was a very objective observer while on this trip. How did this objectivity in his writing and observation affect the narration of this trip?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the narrative. Why might Twain have chosen these particular places for his trip around the world?
Essay Topic 3
How did Twain feel about his native country after this trip, and what particular parts of this trip led to this feeling?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)