|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What month did Twain leave Calcutta?
2. How did Twain get to Mauritius?
(a) They sailed on a ship.
(b) They rode on a carriage.
(c) They walked on foot.
(d) They took a train.
3. What was Calcutta known as?
(a) The City of Palaces.
(b) The City of Temples.
(c) The City of Jewels.
(d) The City of Gods.
4. What cliff did they view while in the mountains?
(a) Gammington Cliff.
(b) Gaulston Cliff.
(c) Gallivan Cliff.
(d) Gladstone Cliff.
5. What happened a year after Twain visited India?
(a) A flood.
(b) A famine.
(c) A fire.
(d) A plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the people in Benares bathe in the river?
2. What was Ochterlony?
3. How long did they spend hiking in the mountains?
4. Where did Twain travel to on the Rosetta?
5. Who did Twain lecture to in Baroda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Twain and his family do while traveling through the mountains?
2. Why did Twain dismiss Manuel?
3. Who were the Boers, and what did they do?
4. What did Twain have to do to get sleeping compartments on the train?
5. Who was Jameson, and what did he do?
6. How did Twain describe the river in Benares?
7. What did Twain say about Government House?
8. What did Twain do to pass the time while sailing to Africa?
9. What happened to Suttee widows?
10. Who was Ramzam and what happened to him?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)