1. What did the crew do four days out of Victoria and why?
When the ship was four days out of Victoria, the crew changed into light-weight white clothing to help with the heat.
2. What did the Maharajah do to provide entertainment on the ship?
The Maharajah of Mysore provided the entertainment on the ship with a memory game. He was a Brahman and memory expert.
3. Why was Twain not able to tour Honolulu?
The passengers on the ship were not able to set foot on Honolulu unless it was their final destination because of a recent cholera outbreak on the island.
4. How did Twain win a watch while on the ship?
Twain won a Waterbury watch by playing and winning a round of shovel board, also known as horse billiards.
5. What did Twain like to discuss with others at dinnertime on the ship?
Twain related a dinnertime discussion about the pronunciation of various Scottish words. He was entertained by the strange vernacular.
This section contains 2,070 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)