Chapters I - IV
• Twain took a long trip on a ship that went along the equator as part of his lecture circuit.
• The captain was a nice man who did not smoke or allow others to smoke past 11:00 p.m.
• He had steered another ship into some rocks, and there were rumors surrounding the incident.
• The purser was an alcoholic Scotsman. Twain talked about desire being the root of all habits good and bad.
• The Maharajah of Mysore provided entertainment with a memory game. He was a Brahmin and memory expert.
• They were unable to go on land at Honolulu because of a cholera outbreak. Twain was disappointed as he loved Hawaii.
• They played shovel board as they neared the equator. Twain won a watch in one match.
• The passengers liked to look at the constellations at night. Twain enjoyed a Scottish accent.
• Twain talked...
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)