|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Harmon family in a hurry?
2. Where do Adam Harmon and his sons plan to go when they see Mary?
3. When does the horse become injured?
4. Where do Mary and Ghetel spend two nights?
5. Why does Ghetel say she is better off living in the Indian village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Mary and Ghetel unable to pinpoint what roots have made them sick?
2. What one impulsive act does Ghetel's massive hunger cause her to do?
3. Why does Mary believe she has prompted God's anger?
4. Why does Mary say her hunger is worse after she eats the second turnip?
5. How was Ghetel's attack on Mary foreshadowed in a previous chapter?
6. Explain why the Harmon men cry at Mary's condition instead of being repulsed by her.
7. Why is the loss of the tomahawk significant to Mary and Ghetel?
8. When Mary finds the cabin and the two turnips, she only eats one. Explain why one turnip is enough to make Mary full.
9. Why are the first few moments awkward when Will and Mary reunited?
10. Mary's horse is injured when crossing a small stream. What does this accident foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the tomahawk become a symbol of Native Americans as a tool and a weapon in Follow the River? How are the Indians portrayed as both a threat and a useful people?
Essay Topic 2
Mary's mother used to tell her, "Any marnin' th' good Lord lets'ee open you eyes, that's a day he's got something' f'r ye t' do." Describe how this quote helped Mary throughout her journey.
Essay Topic 3
Will Ingles admits that Mary's feat is one he could not have done. Explain why George Washington and the Harmon sons doubt Mary's story.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)