|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Johnny and Will go at the fork in the road?
2. What do the Harmons give Mary to eat to get well?
3. What does Mary have to follow to get back home?
4. What is the first landmark Mary and Ghetel come to that confirms they are traveling in the right direction?
5. What does Mary see in the distance after traversing the last steep cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will ask Mary for forgiveness?
2. How was Ghetel's attack on Mary foreshadowed in a previous chapter?
3. Why does it scare Mary when Ghetel eats the frog's tiny front legs?
4. Why are Mary and Ghetel unable to pinpoint what roots have made them sick?
5. Describe why Ghetel's threat to eat Mary is one Mary considers is justified?
6. Why are the first few moments awkward when Will and Mary reunited?
7. Explain why Ghetel suddenly attacks Mary.
8. Why does Mary ask the Harmons to go search for Ghetel?
9. Why does Mary doubt her ability to get back to Draper's Meadow in Chapter 19?
10. Describe Ghetel's state of mind when she threatens to eat Mary in Chapter 23.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is it important to Mary that the two Harmon sons do not tell people at Drunkard's Bottom that Ghetel tried to eat her?
Essay Topic 2
When the Shawnee Indians attack Draper's Meadown, Bettie Draper doesn't flee to safety, but runs to Mary's house. Explain why Mary is a symbol of safety and leadership throughout Follow the River.
Essay Topic 3
How does the tomahawk become a symbol of Native Americans as a tool and a weapon in Follow the River? How are the Indians portrayed as both a threat and a useful people?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)