|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary wants to give up at the beginning of Chapter 23, but fears Will will one day find what?
2. Who does Ghetel blame for her hunger and miserable journey?
3. What does Mary spear on the third day with the horse?
4. What is applied to Mary's swollen limbs?
5. What do Mary and Ghetel eat that makes them sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Mary relies on the approval of others despite being the leader in control of the journey?
2. Explain why Ghetel suddenly attacks Mary.
3. Why does Mary struggle to remain dedicated to getting home on her own without Ghetel?
4. What one impulsive act does Ghetel's massive hunger cause her to do?
5. Why are Mary and Ghetel unable to pinpoint what roots have made them sick?
6. Why does Mary say her hunger is worse after she eats the second turnip?
7. When Mary finds the cabin and the two turnips, she only eats one. Explain why one turnip is enough to make Mary full.
8. Describe why Ghetel's threat to eat Mary is one Mary considers is justified?
9. Why are the first few moments awkward when Will and Mary reunited?
10. Why does Mary doubt her ability to get back to Draper's Meadow in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the antagonist in Follow the River and defend your opinion with details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why aren't the three Harmon men repulsed by Mary's haggard appearance and cry at the sight of her condition?
Essay Topic 3
How does the tomahawk become a symbol of Native Americans as a tool and a weapon in Follow the River? How are the Indians portrayed as both a threat and a useful people?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)