|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will tells Snake Stick that in a year his family will be:
2. What happens to Mary's dress during her scuffle with Ghetel?
3. Which character's teeth are becoming loose?
4. How does the horse die?
5. Who brings in the slab of calf meat for Mary's broth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary say her hunger is worse after she eats the second turnip?
2. Explain why Mary doesn't care that the cabin she approaches in Chapter 28 may be home to Indians.
3. Why does Mary struggle to remain dedicated to getting home on her own without Ghetel?
4. What one impulsive act does Ghetel's massive hunger cause her to do?
5. Why is the loss of the tomahawk significant to Mary and Ghetel?
6. Explain why Ghetel suddenly attacks Mary.
7. Describe why Ghetel's threat to eat Mary is one Mary considers is justified?
8. Why does Mary believe she has prompted God's anger?
9. Why does Mary ask the Harmons to go search for Ghetel?
10. Why are the first few moments awkward when Will and Mary reunited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical facts and myths about Native Americans are incorporated throughout Follow the River. Using examples from the text, explain how Mary Ingles' beliefs about the Shawnees both help and hinder her survival.
Essay Topic 2
When the horse is injured on the bridge, Ghetel wants to go back to eat it. Mary is appalled and claims the horse as her friend. Describe how Mary's beliefs about what is edible changes.
Essay Topic 3
Why is it important to Mary that the two Harmon sons do not tell people at Drunkard's Bottom that Ghetel tried to eat her?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)