|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says the Indians will "burn in eternal hell" for killing their child?
2. Where are the two translators who live among the Shawnee from?
3. Who does Mary think about when sewing?
4. Where do the Shawnee Indians and their captives spend the night on the second day after the attack on Draper's Meadow?
5. What does the spring smell like that the Indians come to on the twelfth day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary cry when she makes the decision to escape?
2. How are Mary and Ghetel similar?
3. How do Mary's beliefs about Indians keep her safe throughout her experience living in Indian territory?
4. Why doesn't Will help protect his family when the Indians attack?
5. Why is the horse an important tool for Mary and Ghetel?
6. Describe the place that explodes when fire or something burning is dropped on it.
7. Why is Mary given a basket at the beginning of Chapter 7?
8. Why does Mary give Bettie her seat on the horse?
9. Why doesn't Mary scream out during the delivery of her baby?
10. Why does Mary want Ghetel go along to Draper's Meadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical facts and myths about Native Americans are incorporated throughout Follow the River. Using examples from the text, explain how Mary Ingles' beliefs about the Shawnees both help and hinder her survival.
Essay Topic 2
Why is it important to Mary that the two Harmon sons do not tell people at Drunkard's Bottom that Ghetel tried to eat her?
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the journey, Mary questions herself and tells herself she doesn't need Ghetel and then later recants. Explain why Mary needs Ghetel as much as Ghetel needs her.
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)