|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries Mary from the lodge where the slave auction occurs?
2. How does Will Draper feel about getting his family back in Chapter 3?
3. Why is Colonel Patton shot during the Shawnee Indians' attack at Draper's Meadow?
4. Whose wound is beginning to fester in Chapter 4?
5. Who says the Indians will "burn in eternal hell" for killing their child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ghetel's insatiable appetite problematic for Mary?
2. What is the significance of Mary saying that there is a way to return if there is a way across the O-Y-O?
3. What does Bettie think of Mary for allowing Otter Girl to nurse the baby?
4. How are Mary's preconceived notions about the Indians challenged by her actual experiences with them?
5. How does Mary's pride make her blind to the situation with Chief Wildcat?
6. Describe the place that explodes when fire or something burning is dropped on it.
7. Why does Mary cry when she makes the decision to escape?
8. How do Mary's beliefs about Indians keep her safe throughout her experience living in Indian territory?
9. Why does Bettie Draper run directly to Mary's house when the Shawnee Indians attack in Chapter 1?
10. What are some of the problems Mary may encounter on her trip home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary's mother used to tell her, "Any marnin' th' good Lord lets'ee open you eyes, that's a day he's got something' f'r ye t' do." Describe how this quote helped Mary throughout her journey.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Mary begins to refer to her daughter as "it," and how she feels that God punishes her for abandoning her daughter.
Essay Topic 3
Several times throughout the journey, Mary questions herself and tells herself she doesn't need Ghetel and then later recants. Explain why Mary needs Ghetel as much as Ghetel needs her.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)