|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary give her seat on the horse to?
2. Who mimics an Indian woman giving birth on the trail?
3. What happens to the two white captives marked for death?
4. Who carries Mary from the lodge where the slave auction occurs?
5. What does Mary eat her first night away from camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Will help protect his family when the Indians attack?
2. What is the significance of Mary saying that there is a way to return if there is a way across the O-Y-O?
3. What does Bettie think of Mary for allowing Otter Girl to nurse the baby?
4. Why does Mary want Ghetel go along to Draper's Meadow?
5. Why does LaPlante buy Mary?
6. Why does it upset Mary that the Indians are given a hero's welcome when they return?
7. Why does Mary cry when she makes the decision to escape?
8. How does Mary's pride make her blind to the situation with Chief Wildcat?
9. Why does Mary's laughter at the Chief's joking about birth anger Bettie?
10. How are Mary and Ghetel similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times throughout Follow the River, Mary states she won't tell certain things. Why would she want to keep those things secret?
Essay Topic 2
Describe why Mary's account does not mention the daughter she left behind. What may have been her reasoning, and what themes does this tie into?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Will Ingles feel that Mary and his children will be beyond "redemption" or ruined during their time with the Indians? How do you think this makes Snake Stick feel about the men's opinion of Indians?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)