|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do when she walks away from the spring camp?
2. Who is taken away by Indians at the end of the slave auction?
3. What does Mary do to keep mosquitoes away from her newborn baby?
4. How does Will Draper feel about getting his family back in Chapter 3?
5. Who buys Mary during the slave auction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary's laughter at the Chief's joking about birth anger Bettie?
2. How do Mary's beliefs about Indians keep her safe throughout her experience living in Indian territory?
3. How does Mary begin to erase her baby, Bettie Eleanor, from her memory and heart?
4. Why is the horse an important tool for Mary and Ghetel?
5. What is the significance of Mary saying that there is a way to return if there is a way across the O-Y-O?
6. What does Bettie think of Mary for allowing Otter Girl to nurse the baby?
7. How are Mary's preconceived notions about the Indians challenged by her actual experiences with them?
8. Why does Bettie Draper run directly to Mary's house when the Shawnee Indians attack in Chapter 1?
9. What are some of the problems Mary may encounter on her trip home?
10. Why are Eleanor Draper and Casper Barrier killed by the Shawnee Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Will Ingles feel ashamed when the Shawnee Indians capture his family? Explain why he is both conflicted and encouraged by this act.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret the meaning of the tomahawk in Mary's and Ghetel's journey toward civilization.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Will Ingles feel that Mary and his children will be beyond "redemption" or ruined during their time with the Indians? How do you think this makes Snake Stick feel about the men's opinion of Indians?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)