|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the horse die?
(a) It drowns in the river.
(b) It is shot by Indians.
(c) A limb pierces its side on the makeshift bridge.
(d) Its broken leg becomes infected.
2. What thought keeps Mary traveling even though she's ill?
(a) Finding shelter.
(b) Brushing her teeth.
(c) Eating food.
(d) Returning to Will.
3. What does Mary do when Adam asks about the others who are kidnapped?
(a) She tells him everything.
(b) She runs out of the cabin.
(c) She cries herself to sleep.
(d) She screams.
4. Who is attacked at the beginning of Chapter 20?
(a) Snake Stick.
5. What does Will Ingles believe Snake Stick is missing?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Johnny and Will go at the fork in the road?
2. What animal does Mary notice is not afraid of humans?
3. What does Mary discover in the frozen garden?
4. What animal does Ghetel want to be so she can get Mary?
5. What do Mary and Ghetel do as they continue down river after Mary escapes to the other side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ghetel suddenly attacks Mary.
2. Mary's horse is injured when crossing a small stream. What does this accident foreshadow?
3. Why does Mary ask the Harmons to go search for Ghetel?
4. Why are Mary and Ghetel unable to pinpoint what roots have made them sick?
5. Why does Mary struggle to remain dedicated to getting home on her own without Ghetel?
6. Describe Ghetel's state of mind when she threatens to eat Mary in Chapter 23.
7. Describe why Ghetel's threat to eat Mary is one Mary considers is justified?
8. Why does Mary say her hunger is worse after she eats the second turnip?
9. Explain why Mary doesn't care that the cabin she approaches in Chapter 28 may be home to Indians.
10. Why is the loss of the tomahawk significant to Mary and Ghetel?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)