|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bettie call Mary when they argue in Chapter 8?
(a) A leader.
(b) A slave.
(c) A traitor.
(d) A friend.
2. What do Mary and Ghetel find at the bottom of a creek?
(a) A catfish.
(b) A tuna.
(c) A trout.
3. What Indian tribe do Gander Jack, Will Ingles, and Johnny Draper hope will help them ransom their families?
4. Whose wound is beginning to fester in Chapter 4?
5. What does Mary decide to do when allowed to explore the woods?
(a) Take a nap.
(b) Pick flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Indians do with those who successfully complete the gauntlet?
2. What does Mary use to mark trees when she goes to collect berries and nuts?
3. Who said "Be naked."?
4. Who invites Mary to move into his home?
5. Where are the two translators who live among the Shawnee from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary appalled by the thought that the Chief is "beauteous?"
2. What is the significance of Mary saying that there is a way to return if there is a way across the O-Y-O?
3. How are Mary's preconceived notions about the Indians challenged by her actual experiences with them?
4. Why does Mary's laughter at the Chief's joking about birth anger Bettie?
5. Why is Mary surprised that Chief Wildcat sold her?
6. Describe the place that explodes when fire or something burning is dropped on it.
7. Gander Jack leads Will and Johnny Draper into the heart of Cherokee Indian country. Describe why Will had the "gollywobbles."
8. Why does Mary believe the bond between her daughter, Bettie Eleanor, and Otter Girl is for the best?
9. Describe Mary's and Ghetel's first day away from the Indians.
10. Why doesn't Mary scream out during the delivery of her baby?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)