|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does Mary walk her first day away from the Indian camp?
(a) 10-12 miles.
(b) 20-26 miles.
(c) 5-10 miles.
(d) 15-20 miles .
2. Who do the Shawnee fight beside?
(a) The English.
(c) The French.
(d) The Spanish.
3. Who tells Will that Mary and the boys are alive when the Indians come through?
(a) Elenor Draper.
(b) Ms. Lyman.
(c) Mr. Barger.
(d) Gander Jack.
4. What does Mary do with her infant daughter's name?
(a) Erases it.
(b) Remembers it.
(c) Speaks it aloud.
(d) Changes it.
5. Why does Will lie awake at night?
(a) He's nervous.
(b) He's afraid of the Indians.
(c) He's worried.
(d) He's hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps Mary from running the gauntlet?
2. Who does Mary think about when sewing?
3. Who sets Bettie's broken arm?
4. How does Bettie survive the gauntlet?
5. What does Will plan to do to get his family back after the trail is lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary begin to erase her baby, Bettie Eleanor, from her memory and heart?
2. Goulart's makes the comment that a useful person is valued in the Indian village, while someone with nothing to offer will have a hard life. Describe how this is proven to be true during the slave auction.
3. Why does LaPlante buy Mary?
4. Why does Bettie Draper run directly to Mary's house when the Shawnee Indians attack in Chapter 1?
5. How are Mary and Ghetel similar?
6. Why does Mary give Bettie her seat on the horse?
7. How does Mary's pride make her blind to the situation with Chief Wildcat?
8. Why are Eleanor Draper and Casper Barrier killed by the Shawnee Indians?
9. Why does Mary believe that pride is essential to the captives' survival?
10. How do Mary's beliefs about Indians keep her safe throughout her experience living in Indian territory?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)