|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bettie spend her days doing?
(b) Lying on her stomach.
2. Who does Mary think about when sewing?
(a) Draper's Meadow.
(b) Chief Wildcat.
(c) Will and her family.
(d) Her mother.
3. What happens during Mary's first night away from camp?
(a) There is a storm.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She gets lost.
(d) A bear attacks.
4. Where do the Shawnee Indians and their captives spend the night on the second day after the attack on Draper's Meadow?
(a) In a farmhouse.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a tent.
(d) In a woods.
5. Who presents Mary with a business proposition?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian tribe do Gander Jack, Will Ingles, and Johnny Draper hope will help them ransom their families?
2. What do the Shawnee Indians create with hot water and herbs?
3. What does Mary eat for breakfast the first morning away from the Indians?
4. What does Mary use to create her two spears?
5. Who runs the gauntlet first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary fear the Indians will do to her unborn child when they attack?
2. What is the significance of Mary saying that there is a way to return if there is a way across the O-Y-O?
3. Gander Jack leads Will and Johnny Draper into the heart of Cherokee Indian country. Describe why Will had the "gollywobbles."
4. Why is Mary appalled by the thought that the Chief is "beauteous?"
5. Why does Bettie become angry with Mary during the trip to the Indians' village?
6. Why does Mary cry when she makes the decision to escape?
7. How does Mary begin to erase her baby, Bettie Eleanor, from her memory and heart?
8. Describe Mary's and Ghetel's first day away from the Indians.
9. Why are Eleanor Draper and Casper Barrier killed by the Shawnee Indians?
10. Why does Mary believe that pride is essential to the captives' survival?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)