Chapters 1, 2 and 3
• On Sunday, July 8, 1755, Mary Draper Ingles and her family are doing their regular chores when Shawnee Indians attack.
• At the time of the attack, Mary Ingles is pregnant with her third child.
• The Indians kill and scalp Eleanor Draper, Mary's mother.
• The Indians kill the baby of Bettie Draper, Mary's sister-in-law.
• The Indians take Mary, Mary's children, and Bettie as captives.
• The Indians go on to kill Casper Barrier and take Henry Lenard hostage.
• Colonel Patterson uses his sword to kill two of the Shawnees and the Indians then kill Colonel Patterson.
• The Indians behead Phillip Barger as they leave Draper's Meadow.
• After traveling for some time, Mary forces herself to pay attention to the landscape so that she can recognize it if she has the chance to escape.
• Mary tells her group that they should act with dignity because the Indians will respect that.
This section contains 2,041 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)