|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which lady suggests they light the room with candles?
2. What type of man does Greta believe the man to be?
3. Who asks Mrs. Stanton if she saw the duke?
4. What has Greta's mother planned for her birthday?
5. What are Greta's feelings about growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the time comparison like between Little Valley and Blue Cove?
2. For whom does Retha's mother believe Anthony is looking?
3. Why has Mrs. Stanton come to Little Valley?
4. Describe the man who is with Father Amiraux.
5. Why do the ladies find Greta's comment about the Duke of Kent surprising?
6. How does Retha's mother respond when Retha asks about Greta?
7. How does Mrs. Stanton get in to see the duke?
8. What does Mrs. Stanton say about Mrs. Trask from when she was in school?
9. What does Greta's father say when she asks him if there will be any more heavy fogs soon?
10. Why are there fancy items in Blue Cove homes not found in Little Valley homes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the circumstances under which Greta first sees a house in the fog.
Essay Topic 2
Talk about the role of Rosie, the cow, in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Although Greta was able to tell the people of Blue Cove that Ann's skeleton was found by the bottomless lake, the men of Blue Cove are still not able to find Ann when they go out looking for her. Why do you believe Ann was never found? What might have happened if she were found?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)