|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Greta watch for the next morning?
2. How does Greta feel about going to church?
3. How does Mrs. Morrill look when Greta tells her it is her twelfth birthday?
4. To what does Greta compare her birthdays?
5. What does Greta's father say when she tells him she must go back for her sweater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the day of Greta's birthday the best day for the church picnic?
2. For whom does Retha's mother believe Anthony is looking?
3. Why do the men bring strange sailors to Anthony's home?
4. Why is Greta sad when Mrs. Morrill gives her one of Princess' kittens?
5. What does Mrs. Stanton say about Mrs. Trask from when she was in school?
6. Why do the names Ansel Cornwall and Leah Cornwall sound familiar to Greta?
7. What do the women of Blue Cove say about Leah?
8. How has Leah Cornwall come to have control of her husband's ship?
9. How does Christine describe her feelings about her twelfth birthday to Greta?
10. Why do the ladies find Greta's comment about the Duke of Kent surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the lesson of persistence that one should learn from Mrs. Stanton's story. How does this lady's determination prove that persistence will eventually pay off?
Essay Topic 2
What hints does the author give that Greta's father had similar experiences in Blue Cove as Greta has had?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the circumstances under which Greta first sees a house in the fog.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)