|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Greta tell her mother she will do when she returns from her journey into the fog?
2. How long does it seem to Greta since she last saw Retha?
3. What does Greta hope will appear on the cellar hole?
4. What does the fog seem to be like to Greta?
5. Where do Retha and Greta eat their bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Greta find the sound of horses' hooves so strange?
2. Are there any people in the village who do like the fog?
3. What circumstances cause Greta to first see something in the fog?
4. What are some of the reasons that the people of Little Valley dislike the fog?
5. Where does Mr. Morrill get the items that he gives to his family?
6. What does Greta know about Ann?
7. Does Mr. Morrill believe that Ann might have been able to keep herself alive in the woods?
8. How does Greta's mother keep her from wandering into the fog?
9. Why is there no graveyard in Blue Cove?
10. Why is the Tollerton significant in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways, if any, does Greta's father encourage her exploration of Blue Cove? In what ways, if any, does Greta's father discourage her exploration of Blue Cove?
Essay Topic 2
When Greta first meets Retha's father, he cautions her to be very careful while she is in Blue Cove. Why is it so important that Greta not be hurt while she is in Blue Cove?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the fog in this story? For example, how does fog affect the people of Little Valley? How does it affect Greta? What happens when it becomes foggy?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)