|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the women gather after church?
(a) Greta's home.
(b) Anthony's home.
(c) The church basement.
(d) The Morrill home.
2. How much of the island does Mrs. Stanton say her husband left to her?
(a) One-half of it.
(b) One-fourth of it.
(c) All of it.
(d) One-third of it.
3. Where does Laleah want to bury her husband.
(a) In her family's plot.
(b) In his family's plot.
(c) She's refusing to allow him to be buried.
(d) At sea.
4. What lesson does Retha's mother believe all people need to learn?
(a) Not to go out when it's foggy.
(b) To be at peace in their own world.
(c) Not to meddle in others' business.
(d) To make the most of each day.
5. Why does Captain Cheney go back to the shore?
(a) He saw a ship.
(b) He left some gear there.
(c) He's looking for Anthony.
(d) He heard a cry.
6. Who offers Mrs. Stanton a ride?
(a) Greta volunteers her father.
(c) Mr. Morrill.
(d) Mrs. Trask.
7. What are the Morrills doing when Greta arrives?
(a) Getting ready for church.
(b) Going to the doctor.
(c) Preparing dinner.
(d) Getting ready for a burial.
8. What does Mrs. Morrill think Greta has seen?
(a) A strange ship.
(b) A bear.
(c) Ann's ghost.
(d) A snake.
9. Where does Mrs. Stanton live?
(a) In Halifax.
(b) In Blue Cove.
(c) On the island.
(d) In Little Valley.
10. What did Mrs. Stanton sell to pay for an agent in London?
(a) Her grandmother's earrings.
(b) Her wedding dress.
(c) Her home.
(d) Her jewelry.
11. What does Retha say to Greta when she leaves?
(a) She says she will miss her.
(b) Retha is not home when Greta leaves.
(c) She asks to go with Greta.
(d) She tries to give her an egg cup.
12. Where did the Cornwalls go on their honeymoon?
(b) The Far East.
(c) Little Valley.
(d) Blue Cove.
13. Where is Retha?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At school.
(c) At the shore.
(d) At church.
14. How does Greta describe Mrs. Stanton's face?
(c) Tired and worn.
15. How does Mrs. Morrill look when Greta tells her it is her twelfth birthday?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Mrs. Stanton not have friends at whose homes she could rest?
2. What is Greta's other world?
3. What does Mrs. Morrill say it takes to look ahead?
4. What are Greta's feelings about growing up?
5. Who is with the crowd?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)