|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is George Lewes?
2. Where does Susan put the finished pages of her story?
3. How do Susan and Friday live in their new location at the end of May in Part Two?
4. What does Susan tell her young guest about that person's father?
5. What does Susan teach Friday how to do, to keep him active?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does young Susan describe herself?
2. Explain the significance of the dead baby Susan finds on the side of the road.
3. Describe Susan and Friday's living conditions when they first arrive in the city in Part Two.
4. Is Susan a loving person?
5. Why does Susan say that she and Friday live in Mr. Foe's house "like poor relations"?
6. Explain Susan's concerns over her story.
7. Describe how Susan and young Susan first meet.
8. Why does Susan doubt young Susan's story?
9. Explain the mystery surrounding Susan's lost child.
10. How does Susan feel about Friday in Part Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gender roles, both on the island and off, impact how Susan is treated as well as her actions.
1) Compare and contrast how Susan's actions with Cruso and Mr. Foe are impacted by expectations of her role as a woman.
2) Explain how gender expectations in her society impact the writing of Susan's story by herself and Mr. Foe.
3) How are gender roles followed, and broken, in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is readily apparent in Foe. Select three instance of foreshadowing and what they are used to indicate.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of parenthood, motherhood and giving birth recur often in Foe. Discuss the importance of this theme in relationship to:
1) Susan and Cruso.
2) Susan and Friday.
3) Susan and Mr. Foe.
4) Susan and her daughter.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)