|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan say the terraces on the island come to resemble with the passage of time?
2. What does Susan lament in the telling of her story?
3. Who does Susan take into the forest toward Cheshunt?
4. What does Susan offer to do for Mr. Foe if he will let her move into his home?
5. What does Susan worry about regarding the story of her life as a cast-away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What forms the bond between Susan and Friday in Part Two?
2. Explain Susan's concerns over her story.
3. Explain the mystery surrounding Susan's lost child.
4. Why does Susan doubt young Susan's story?
5. How does Susan feel about Friday in Part Two?
6. Is Susan a loving person?
7. Why is the case of recorders important?
8. Why is Susan's dance important?
9. What is Susan's reaction when Mr. Foe's letter is returned unopened?
10. What is the significance of Susan putting her written pages into Mr. Foe's basket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gender roles, both on the island and off, impact how Susan is treated as well as her actions.
1) Compare and contrast how Susan's actions with Cruso and Mr. Foe are impacted by expectations of her role as a woman.
2) Explain how gender expectations in her society impact the writing of Susan's story by herself and Mr. Foe.
3) How are gender roles followed, and broken, in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Different characters in Foe seem to be tied to different themes. Select three themes in the novel such as power, language, and punishment and choose the character that best epitomizes that theme in the story. Give specifics to support your choice and analyze the authors use of this representation.
Essay Topic 3
The time period in which Foe takes place offers political and cultural meaning to Susan's tale. Relate this to:
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)