|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Susan traveling when her boat ran into trouble?
2. Where does Susan see Friday working when she awakens her first morning on the island?
3. Who carries the person who steps on a thorn in Part One?
4. What does Cruso tell Susan about punishing Friday?
5. How does the woman who swims ashore feel when she is with the person who first greets her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Cruso and Friday work on the terraces?
2. How does Friday feel about leaving the island?
3. What is Friday's role on the island?
4. How does Susan come to see Friday as a being with a soul?
5. How does Susan feel about Friday when they first meet?
6. Why is Friday's communication with Susan limited?
7. Describe Susan and Cruso's relationship while on the island.
8. Explain why Susan and Cruso have a fight over shoes.
9. How does Susan and Cruso's relationship change once they are rescued?
10. Why does Susan believe that she is on the island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is readily apparent in Foe. Select three instance of foreshadowing and what they are used to indicate.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of parenthood, motherhood and giving birth recur often in Foe. Discuss the importance of this theme in relationship to:
1) Susan and Cruso.
2) Susan and Friday.
3) Susan and Mr. Foe.
4) Susan and her daughter.
Essay Topic 3
The narrative style and audience of Foe is revealed by Susan's letters to Mr. Foe in Part Two.
1) Explain now the changes in narration in each section impact reader expectations and plot development.
2) What is the meaning of using letters to tell one part of the novel?
3) How is Part Four told differently than the rest of the story in terms of narration and audience?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)