|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the captain react to Susan's story?
2. What best describes the person who first meets the woman who swims ashore in the beginning of the story?
3. How does Cruso react to the arrival of a ship on the island?
4. Where do Cruso and Friday sleep, when Susan first meets them?
5. How does Susan react to Cruso's explanations of the laws of the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Susan feel about Friday when they first meet?
2. Describe Cruso's appearance.
3. Why does Susan believe that she is on the island?
4. Where is Susan's daughter?
5. How does the Captain of the Hobart react to Susan's story of being a castaway on the island?
6. Why is the lizard that Susan finds important?
7. How does Susan and Cruso's relationship change once they are rescued?
8. What is Friday's role on the island?
9. Why is Friday's communication with Susan limited?
10. Describe the events that lead in the main characters' escape from the island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast any two characters in the novel. Discuss:
1) How they are used in relationship to each other.
2) How the character's substance is created.
3) How objects are used to define each character.
Essay Topic 2
Character development in Foe is dependent on character interaction. Select three characters from the novel and explain how the development of that character is dependent on his or her interaction with another specific character.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between language and power is evident in the way the novel is structured and in the characters that appear in the story. Select one instance for each and analyze:
1) How the spoken word is related to power.
2) How the written word is related to power.
3) How the structure of the novel itself illustrates the link between language and power.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)