|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Susan take into the forest toward Cheshunt?
(a) Constable Greer.
(b) Young Susan.
(c) Mrs. Maxwell.
(d) Mr. Foe.
2. What does Susan lament in the telling of her story?
(a) That Cruso isn't alive to help her tell it.
(b) That she can't claim a child conceived on the island.
(c) That she never learned how to write.
(d) That she doesn't know how Friday lost his tongue.
3. What does Susan tell Mr. Foe about escaping from the island on a small boat?
(a) She tried it, but lacked the proper tools to build a boat.
(b) She tried it but the boat capsized and was ruined.
(c) The winds made escape impossible.
(d) The undertow made small boats a hazard.
4. Where does Susan dance?
(a) Outside in the rain.
(b) In a barn.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a ballroom.
5. How is Susan feeling when she starts to dance?
(a) Wet and hungry.
6. Who does the person who watches the house where Susan and Friday live claim to be?
(a) Susan's daughter.
(b) Mr. Foe's brother.
(c) Mr. Foe's aunt.
(d) Susan's uncle.
7. What is true of George Lewes, according to the person who visits Susan in Part Two?
(a) He is a gifted musician.
(b) He left a large, unclaimed inheritance.
(c) He was a gambler.
(d) He has a wooden leg.
8. What elements does Susan suggest adding to her story?
(a) Pregnancy and how Friday lost his tongue.
(b) Cannibals and corn seeds.
(c) Passion and sex.
(d) Another group of hostile cast-aways.
9. Susan tells Friday that he alone knows that their lives on the island where what?
(a) Spirit killing.
10. What does Susan say the terraces on the island come to resemble with the passage of time?
(a) Birth and death.
11. How does Susan feel after her dance?
12. What does Susan catch some boys trying to do, in April of Part Two?
(a) Steal the money she received from Mr. Foe.
(b) Looking for a peek at the cannibal.
(c) Put something into her mail slot.
(d) Fighting over a girl.
13. What does Susan say about mothers and children?
(a) They share an unbreakable bond.
(b) They burden each other for life.
(c) Mothers carry a sense of their offspring for life.
(d) Children never seek lost parents.
14. What does Susan think is one of the questions that readers will wonder about her story?
(a) How Cruso really died.
(b) If she is telling the truth.
(c) Why she and Cruso didn't become a couple.
(d) Why they didn't attempt escape.
15. Where do Susan and Friday move to at the end of May in Part Two?
(a) The King's Arms.
(b) Mr. Foe's house.
(c) A ground floor apartment with a spare room.
(d) Mr. Lewes' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Susan suggest to Mr. Foe would be a good job for Friday?
2. How does Susan feel about allowing the watcher to stay with her in Part Two?
3. What does Susan thank Mr. Foe for giving back to her?
4. What does Susan compare to moving the stones on the island?
5. What happens when Susan tries to give the person who watches the house a packet of letters?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)