|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Susan compare Friday to when she decides not to send him on the ship?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) An unloved child.
(c) Herself, as a child.
(d) A clinging vine.
2. Who does Susan say is father-born?
(a) George Lewes.
(b) Young Susan.
3. What does Susan say Cruso would have done if he had been a true adventurer?
(a) Returned to civilization alive.
(b) Experimented with cannibalism.
(c) Planted a seed in the only fertile womb on the island.
(d) Found a way off the island, if only by death.
4. What is the first indication Susan receives, in April, that there is a problem with Mr. Foe?
(a) He doesn't answer her letter.
(b) A messenger arrives at Susan's looking for him.
(c) The bank refuses to cash his check.
(d) He writes a letter that alludes to difficulty.
5. Who does Susan take into the forest toward Cheshunt?
(a) Mr. Foe.
(b) Young Susan.
(c) Mrs. Maxwell.
(d) Constable Greer.
6. What best describes Susan's dance?
(a) Fun and lively.
(b) Wild spinning.
(c) Graceful and emotional.
(d) A waltz.
7. What is The King's Arms?
(a) A shop that sells trinkets.
(b) Mr. Foe's first book.
(c) An inn and pub.
(d) Mr. Foe's home.
8. What picture does Susan recall drawing for Friday?
(b) A man being shipwrecked.
(c) The terraces with corn growing.
(d) Men cutting out another's tongue.
9. What does Susan worry about regarding the story of her life as a cast-away?
(a) That she won't make enough money to live off of it,
(b) That people will findher immoral.
(c) That people will think she is lying.
(d) That it isn't exciting enough.
10. What clue is given that Susan knew Mr. Foe before coming hiring him to write her story?
(a) The music box.
(b) She describes the house before arriving.
(c) She describes Mr. Foe's fondness for rose gardens prior to meeting him.
(d) The atlas in the study.
11. What is the name of the street where Susan lives in Part Two?
(a) Darbyshire Street.
(b) Lone Lane.
(c) Maple Avenue.
(d) Clock Lane.
12. What do Susan and Friday grow in their garden?
(a) Carrots and beans.
(b) Peas and potatoes.
(c) Cabbage and corn.
(d) Weeds and wildflowers.
13. What does Susan lament in the telling of her story?
(a) That she doesn't know how Friday lost his tongue.
(b) That she can't claim a child conceived on the island.
(c) That she never learned how to write.
(d) That Cruso isn't alive to help her tell it.
14. How does Susan feel after her dance?
15. How does Friday respond to live in the city, at the beginning of Part Two?
(a) He is agitated and scared.
(b) He shows no change at all.
(c) He is not happy.
(d) He is fascinated by it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Susan and Friday start to do together in Part Two?
2. Who does Susan find when she goes to Mr. Foe's home on May 1st?
3. What does Susan say the terraces on the island come to resemble with the passage of time?
4. Why does Susan say she is eager for Mr. Foe to complete her project in May of Part Two?
5. Who tells Susan that he or she has been following her?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)