|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fannie say to make Frank believe she is on his side?
2. What is Sophie's mood before she encounters Frank in the yard?
3. Frank shows __________ about his behavior towards MInnie and her family.
4. Who comes by with a telegram for Frank?
5. Minnie refuses to do what for Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Independence for blacks from white is not the only issue in "Flying West." There is also the topic of a woman's ability to survive and care for herself. Write about how these women show independence from male dominance and how whether this is common or unusual for their times.
Essay Topic 2
There are several love stories mentioned and observed in "Flying West." Explain how the adage "love is blind" rings true in some of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
The women of Nicodemus succeed in finding the peace they are looking for. Between Sophie, Miss Leah and Fannie, each woman portrays very different types of characters. Explain how it takes more than just one of the women but all three of their persona's to work with one another to find this peace. What do each of them offer that supports the others to pursue a peaceful Nicodemus?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)