|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank tells the white men on the train Minnie is __________.
2. What causes Minnie to stumble her way into the main room in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does Miss Leah tell Minnie about her pregnancy?
4. What does Sophie do that comforts Minnie in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What does Minnie find out about her own parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
Essay Topic 2
There are several love stories mentioned and observed in "Flying West." Explain how the adage "love is blind" rings true in some of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Independence for blacks from white is not the only issue in "Flying West." There is also the topic of a woman's ability to survive and care for herself. Write about how these women show independence from male dominance and how whether this is common or unusual for their times.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)