|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Minnie to stumble her way into the main room in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What is the only reason Sophie is sorry for Frank's troubles?
3. What does Miss Leah tell Minnie about her pregnancy?
4. When is the first thing Frank does when he reads the telegram?
5. What alternative does Frank think can also hurt Sophie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie carries a shotgun with her wherever she goes. What does this say about Sophie and about the town of Nicodemus, Kansas?
Essay Topic 3
Independence for blacks from white is not the only issue in "Flying West." There is also the topic of a woman's ability to survive and care for herself. Write about how these women show independence from male dominance and how whether this is common or unusual for their times.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)