|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
2. Wil is raised by whom?
3. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
4. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
5. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
2. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
3. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
4. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
5. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
6. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
7. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
8. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
9. Sophie could not care less about Memphis, but is absolutely passionate about Kansas. Why is Sophie so passionate about Nicodemus, Kansas?
10. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Frank feels the need to change Minnie, why does he "love" her and marry her?
Essay Topic 2
Ethnic pride is a monumental topic in "Flying West." Explain why ethnic pride is so important in general and why in the black community in particular.
Essay Topic 3
Manipulation is seen time and again throughout the play. Find examples and explain how manipulation is used by everyone good and bad.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)