|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
2. How does Minnie explain her injury?
3. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
4. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
5. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
2. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
3. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
4. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
5. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
6. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
7. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
8. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
9. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
10. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast cultural differences between Nicodemus and Memphis.
Essay Topic 2
If Frank feels the need to change Minnie, why does he "love" her and marry her?
Essay Topic 3
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)