|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Frank originally from?
2. What is Frank adamant about in regard to home?
3. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
4. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
5. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
2. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
3. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
4. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
5. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
6. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
7. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
8. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
9. When Minnie greets her sisters, she mentions that Frank is talking to a man from the train, "a white man" she adds. Why does Minnie add this remark of a white man?
10. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Leah remarks that everything they do is all for the children. How and why are children so important to Miss Leah?
Essay Topic 2
The women of Nicodemus succeed in finding the peace they are looking for. Between Sophie, Miss Leah and Fannie, each woman portrays very different types of characters. Explain how it takes more than just one of the women but all three of their persona's to work with one another to find this peace. What do each of them offer that supports the others to pursue a peaceful Nicodemus?
Essay Topic 3
If Frank feels the need to change Minnie, why does he "love" her and marry her?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)