Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
2. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
3. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
4. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
5. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
2. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
3. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
5. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
6. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
7. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
8. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
9. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
10. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
Essay Topic 1
Miss Leah remarks that everything they do is all for the children. How and why are children so important to Miss Leah?
Essay Topic 2
Research Kansas as it was in the 1890s and write about what daily life is like for an African American there. How well do the characters in the play portray the average black person in Kansas of those times?
Essay Topic 3
Manipulation is seen time and again throughout the play. Find examples and explain how manipulation is used by everyone good and bad.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)