|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it difficult for Frank to miss colored people?
2. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
3. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
4. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
5. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
2. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
3. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
4. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
5. Why did Miss Leah go west?
6. What is Frank so proud of about his life in London, and why?
7. What does Miss Leah continue to do with Minnie's daughter that she is most famous for?
8. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
9. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
10. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several love stories mentioned and observed in "Flying West." Explain how the adage "love is blind" rings true in some of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Fannie, Sophie, Miss Leah, and Wil are hard-working folks who wants nothing more than an honest living that allows them to reap the benefits for which they work. Circumstances lead them to plot and execute murder. Write about how these good people end up committing such a crime and whether or not it is justifiable.
Essay Topic 3
Miss Leah convinces the household to murder Frank with an apple pie rather than shoot him outright. Explain how this is preferable and why it might not work today.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)