|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
2. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
3. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
4. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
5. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
2. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
3. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
5. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
6. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
7. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
8. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
9. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
10. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
Essay Topic 1
Sophie carries a shotgun with her wherever she goes. What does this say about Sophie and about the town of Nicodemus, Kansas?
Essay Topic 2
Write about what Minnie's life as the youngest sister is like. How does where Minnie's life is heading compare to where black independence is heading?
Essay Topic 3
The women of Nicodemus succeed in finding the peace they are looking for. Between Sophie, Miss Leah and Fannie, each woman portrays very different types of characters. Explain how it takes more than just one of the women but all three of their persona's to work with one another to find this peace. What do each of them offer that supports the others to pursue a peaceful Nicodemus?
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)