|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
2. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
3. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
4. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
5. What does Frank pass as when in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
2. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
3. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
4. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
5. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
6. Why did Miss Leah go west?
7. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
8. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
9. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
10. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
Essay Topic 2
Wil speaks of the significance of memories, good and bad. How are memories important in what makes up a person?
Essay Topic 3
If Frank feels the need to change Minnie, why does he "love" her and marry her?
This section contains 1,661 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)