|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
2. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
3. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
4. Why does Miss Leah begin to have children so early?
5. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
2. Why does Minnie hand the deed over to Sophie when she retrieves it?
3. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
4. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
5. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
6. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
7. Minnie has braids in her hair when she and Frank first meet. Yet, when Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair on their visit, Frank gets angry. Why does Frank hate Minnie's hair this way?
8. What is Sophie's reaction when Minnie hands over the deed and what does that say about Sophie?
9. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
10. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Leah remarks that everything they do is all for the children. How and why are children so important to Miss Leah?
Essay Topic 2
Manipulation is seen time and again throughout the play. Find examples and explain how manipulation is used by everyone good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
Wil speaks of the significance of memories, good and bad. How are memories important in what makes up a person?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)