|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Frank originally from?
2. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
3. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
4. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
5. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
2. Describe Miss Leah's character. How is she important to the story?
3. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
4. What is Sophie's reaction when Minnie hands over the deed and what does that say about Sophie?
5. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
6. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
7. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
8. When Minnie greets her sisters, she mentions that Frank is talking to a man from the train, "a white man" she adds. Why does Minnie add this remark of a white man?
9. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
10. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ethnic pride is a monumental topic in "Flying West." Explain why ethnic pride is so important in general and why in the black community in particular.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast cultural differences between Nicodemus and Memphis.
Essay Topic 3
Research Kansas as it was in the 1890s and write about what daily life is like for an African American there. How well do the characters in the play portray the average black person in Kansas of those times?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)