|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
2. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
3. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
4. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
5. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
2. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
3. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
4. Why did Miss Leah go west?
5. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
6. What is Frank so proud of about his life in London, and why?
7. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
8. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
9. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
10. What is Minnie's attitude in regard to London and Nicodemus? How does she feel about each place and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frank's insecurities and how it comes out throughout the play.
Essay Topic 2
Interview or find first-person accounts of someone of mixed race. What struggles does this person have in regard to their background? What particular experiences did the person go through because he/she is of mixed race? Does it depend on where and when the person lives and grows up? Does it depend on the parents' influence and how they approach the subject to their child? Are any of the issues seen today the same as when Sophie and Frank were born? What struggles do Sophie and Frank face that mixed race children do not have to deal with anymore?
Essay Topic 3
Choose either Nicodemus, Memphis, New Orleans, or London. Compare and contrast what the civil liberties as it were in the 1890s to today's civil liberties. Is there progress? How much? What did it take to create such progress?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)