|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
2. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
3. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
4. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
5. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
2. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
3. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
4. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
6. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
7. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
8. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
9. Why did Miss Leah go west?
10. When Minnie first wakes up in Act 1, Scene 4, Miss Leah remarks that Minnie is looking more like herself this morning. What does she mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about what Minnie's life as the youngest sister is like. How does where Minnie's life is heading compare to where black independence is heading?
Essay Topic 2
Manipulation is seen time and again throughout the play. Find examples and explain how manipulation is used by everyone good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
Research Kansas as it was in the 1890s and write about what daily life is like for an African American there. How well do the characters in the play portray the average black person in Kansas of those times?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)