|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
2. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
3. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
4. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
5. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
2. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
3. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
4. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
5. When Minnie consoles Frank, she mentions "our deed." When Frank talks about the future he speaks about a "chance for [him] to get back on [his] feet." How do these statements show how each of them feels about their marriage?
6. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
7. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
8. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
9. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
10. Why did Miss Leah go west?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Leah remarks that everything they do is all for the children. How and why are children so important to Miss Leah?
Essay Topic 2
Research Kansas as it was in the 1890s and write about what daily life is like for an African American there. How well do the characters in the play portray the average black person in Kansas of those times?
Essay Topic 3
The women of Nicodemus succeed in finding the peace they are looking for. Between Sophie, Miss Leah and Fannie, each woman portrays very different types of characters. Explain how it takes more than just one of the women but all three of their persona's to work with one another to find this peace. What do each of them offer that supports the others to pursue a peaceful Nicodemus?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)