|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank think Minnie brings no luck?
2. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
3. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
4. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
5. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
2. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
3. Why does Minnie hand the deed over to Sophie when she retrieves it?
4. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
5. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
6. Describe Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's ritual after their dinner.
7. Frank learns from his poker friends that the sisters are sitting on land that is worth a lot of money. How does this knowledge foreshadow events?
8. The opening scene of Act I Scene IV has Miss Leah, Sophie, and Fannie awake, while Minnie and Frank are the last to get up. How does this indicate how each of them leads their lives?
9. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
10. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Kansas as it was in the 1890s and write about what daily life is like for an African American there. How well do the characters in the play portray the average black person in Kansas of those times?
Essay Topic 2
Wil speaks of the significance of memories, good and bad. How are memories important in what makes up a person?
Essay Topic 3
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)