|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
2. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
3. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
4. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
5. What are Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Who is Wil Parrish and what does his history say about him?
3. When Minnie consoles Frank, she mentions "our deed." When Frank talks about the future he speaks about a "chance for [him] to get back on [his] feet." How do these statements show how each of them feels about their marriage?
4. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
5. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
6. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
7. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
8. Frank shows some tenderness toward Minnie, but he is also easily angered. Overall, what does Frank think of Minnie?
9. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
10. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either Nicodemus, Memphis, New Orleans, or London. Compare and contrast what the civil liberties as it were in the 1890s to today's civil liberties. Is there progress? How much? What did it take to create such progress?
Essay Topic 2
Interview or find first-person accounts of someone of mixed race. What struggles does this person have in regard to their background? What particular experiences did the person go through because he/she is of mixed race? Does it depend on where and when the person lives and grows up? Does it depend on the parents' influence and how they approach the subject to their child? Are any of the issues seen today the same as when Sophie and Frank were born? What struggles do Sophie and Frank face that mixed race children do not have to deal with anymore?
Essay Topic 3
Miss Leah remarks that everything they do is all for the children. How and why are children so important to Miss Leah?
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)