|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank learn while he is in town?
2. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
3. Where is Frank originally from?
4. What is Minnie doing when Act I, Scene IV ends?
5. What does Frank do while in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. The opening scene of Act I Scene IV has Miss Leah, Sophie, and Fannie awake, while Minnie and Frank are the last to get up. How does this indicate how each of them leads their lives?
2. Frank shows some tenderness toward Minnie, but he is also easily angered. Overall, what does Frank think of Minnie?
3. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
4. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
5. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
6. Sophie and Fannie give Minnie a deed to a third of the property for her 21st birthday. How do Minnie and Frank react to the gift?
7. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
8. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
9. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
10. Describe Miss Leah's character. How is she important to the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fannie, Sophie, Miss Leah, and Wil are hard-working folks who wants nothing more than an honest living that allows them to reap the benefits for which they work. Circumstances lead them to plot and execute murder. Write about how these good people end up committing such a crime and whether or not it is justifiable.
Essay Topic 2
Choose either Nicodemus, Memphis, New Orleans, or London. Compare and contrast what the civil liberties as it were in the 1890s to today's civil liberties. Is there progress? How much? What did it take to create such progress?
Essay Topic 3
Sophie carries a shotgun with her wherever she goes. What does this say about Sophie and about the town of Nicodemus, Kansas?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)