|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie think about Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
2. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
3. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
4. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
5. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
2. What happy sign of true love is apparent in the last scene?
3. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
4. Why did Miss Leah go west?
5. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
6. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
7. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
8. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
9. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
10. What is Frank so proud of about his life in London, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Leah convinces the household to murder Frank with an apple pie rather than shoot him outright. Explain how this is preferable and why it might not work today.
Essay Topic 2
Independence for blacks from white is not the only issue in "Flying West." There is also the topic of a woman's ability to survive and care for herself. Write about how these women show independence from male dominance and how whether this is common or unusual for their times.
Essay Topic 3
Wil speaks of the significance of memories, good and bad. How are memories important in what makes up a person?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)