|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
2. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
3. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
4. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
5. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
2. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
3. What happy sign of true love is apparent in the last scene?
4. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
5. Sophie could not care less about Memphis, but is absolutely passionate about Kansas. Why is Sophie so passionate about Nicodemus, Kansas?
6. Who is Wil Parrish and what does his history say about him?
7. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
8. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
9. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
10. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
Essay Topic 2
Sophie carries a shotgun with her wherever she goes. What does this say about Sophie and about the town of Nicodemus, Kansas?
Essay Topic 3
Research avenues that women in domestic abuse situations can use and take advantage of today. Explain why it is difficult for Minnie to take some of these steps in the 1890s.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)