|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
2. Who is the only one to not say goodnight to Miss Leah?
3. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
4. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
5. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
2. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
3. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
4. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
5. Miss Leah describes city people as hiding behind something. How does this symbolize Frank?
6. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
7. What happy sign of true love is apparent in the last scene?
8. Minnie has braids in her hair when she and Frank first meet. Yet, when Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair on their visit, Frank gets angry. Why does Frank hate Minnie's hair this way?
9. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
10. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview or find first-person accounts of someone of mixed race. What struggles does this person have in regard to their background? What particular experiences did the person go through because he/she is of mixed race? Does it depend on where and when the person lives and grows up? Does it depend on the parents' influence and how they approach the subject to their child? Are any of the issues seen today the same as when Sophie and Frank were born? What struggles do Sophie and Frank face that mixed race children do not have to deal with anymore?
Essay Topic 2
There are several love stories mentioned and observed in "Flying West." Explain how the adage "love is blind" rings true in some of the characters.
Essay Topic 3
Choose either Nicodemus, Memphis, New Orleans, or London. Compare and contrast what the civil liberties as it were in the 1890s to today's civil liberties. Is there progress? How much? What did it take to create such progress?
This section contains 1,658 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)