|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
2. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
3. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
4. How does Minnie explain her injury?
5. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
2. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
3. Who is Wil Parrish and what does his history say about him?
4. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
5. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
6. What is Sophie's reaction when Minnie hands over the deed and what does that say about Sophie?
7. What does a woman have to consider in addition to her love before she leaves a husband? How does this affect Minnie and the people she knows?
8. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
9. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
10. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1If Frank feels the need to change Minnie, why does he "love" her and marry her?
Essay Topic 2The women of Nicodemus succeed in finding the peace they are looking for. Between Sophie, Miss Leah and Fannie, each woman portrays very different types of characters. Explain how it takes more than just one of the women but all three of their persona's to work with one another to find this peace. What do each of them offer that supports the others to pursue a peaceful Nicodemus?
Essay Topic 3How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)