|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
2. Why is it difficult for Frank to miss colored people?
3. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
4. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
5. What is Minnie doing when Act I, Scene IV ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
2. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
3. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
4. The opening scene of Act I Scene IV has Miss Leah, Sophie, and Fannie awake, while Minnie and Frank are the last to get up. How does this indicate how each of them leads their lives?
5. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
6. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
7. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
8. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
9. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
10. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about what Minnie's life as the youngest sister is like. How does where Minnie's life is heading compare to where black independence is heading?
Essay Topic 2
Manipulation is seen time and again throughout the play. Find examples and explain how manipulation is used by everyone good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
There are several love stories mentioned and observed in "Flying West." Explain how the adage "love is blind" rings true in some of the characters.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)