|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank go to in Act 1, Scene IV?
2. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
3. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
4. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
5. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
2. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
3. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
4. What does a woman have to consider in addition to her love before she leaves a husband? How does this affect Minnie and the people she knows?
5. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
6. When Minnie first wakes up in Act 1, Scene 4, Miss Leah remarks that Minnie is looking more like herself this morning. What does she mean by this?
7. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
8. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
9. Describe Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's ritual after their dinner.
10. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast cultural differences between Nicodemus and Memphis.
Essay Topic 2
How do Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's move out west symbolize change in black history as much as it is change in physical location?
Essay Topic 3
Choose either Nicodemus, Memphis, New Orleans, or London. Compare and contrast what the civil liberties as it were in the 1890s to today's civil liberties. Is there progress? How much? What did it take to create such progress?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)