|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He is part Native American.
(b) He is part white.
(c) He looks white.
(d) He is part black.
2. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(b) An axe.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A shotgun.
3. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(b) New Orleans.
4. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
(a) A sample of Frank's writings.
(b) Pretty stationary and pen.
(c) An autographed book of Dunbar poetry.
(d) A poster.
5. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(c) "Black death."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
2. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
3. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
4. What does Frank learn while he is in town?
5. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank shows some tenderness toward Minnie, but he is also easily angered. Overall, what does Frank think of Minnie?
2. Describe Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's ritual after their dinner.
3. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
4. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
5. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
6. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
7. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
8. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
9. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
10. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)