|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
(a) Female dominant.
(c) Male dominant.
(d) Unconditionally loving.
2. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) Their strength in surviving anything.
(b) Their songs and stories.
(c) The way they look.
(d) The natural comraderie.
3. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
(a) Your strength.
(b) Your determination to keep free.
(c) There's nothing to hide behind between you and your soul.
(d) Your tenacity to survive.
4. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
(a) To visit Miss Leah before she passes on.
(b) Solely to visit Sophie and Fannie.
(c) To handle Frank's father's will.
(d) To handle Minnie's share of property.
5. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
(a) Fannie's writings.
(b) Sophie's plans for Nicodemus.
(c) Miss Leah's surprise quilt for Minnie.
(d) Fannie's paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
2. What is Sophie's attitude toward Frank when they first meet?
3. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
4. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
5. What does Frank mention that offends Wil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
2. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
3. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
4. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
5. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
6. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
7. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
8. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
9. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
10. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)