|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
(a) He is excited to meet Minnie's family.
(b) He does not want to be there.
(c) He is nervous about Sophie and Fannie's opinion of him.
(d) He is competitive with Wil.
2. How does Minnie explain her injury?
(a) She was cutting wood.
(b) She fell on the train.
(c) She was dancing and fell in the street.
(d) She slipped when in New Orleans.
3. What does the reader discover about Sophie's past?
(a) She was part of the Underground Railroad.
(b) She came from a well-respected and educated family.
(c) She is a mestizo.
(d) She is a mulatto.
4. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(b) New Orleans.
5. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
(a) Gives her a fashion makeover.
(b) Tells her he loves her.
(c) Tells her how to act.
(d) Proposes to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
2. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
3. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
4. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
5. What place does Wil miss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
2. What is Minnie's attitude in regard to London and Nicodemus? How does she feel about each place and why?
3. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
4. The opening scene of Act I Scene IV has Miss Leah, Sophie, and Fannie awake, while Minnie and Frank are the last to get up. How does this indicate how each of them leads their lives?
5. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
6. What does a woman have to consider in addition to her love before she leaves a husband? How does this affect Minnie and the people she knows?
7. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
8. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
9. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
10. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)