|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She loves him more than anything else.
(b) She has no feelings toward the man.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
2. Why does Miss Leah begin to have children so early?
(a) Her slave owner makes her.
(b) She is raped by the slave owner.
(c) It is the only form of love she knows.
(d) This allows her to not work on the plantation.
3. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) The way they look.
(b) Their songs and stories.
(c) Their strength in surviving anything.
(d) The natural comraderie.
4. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(b) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
(c) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(d) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
5. What are Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
(a) He admires her.
(b) He dislikes the way she handles home life.
(c) He thinks she can be boring.
(d) He disrespects her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
2. What does Frank hate about the U.S.?
3. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
4. What does Frank pass as when in town?
5. What is Sophie trying to convince the Negroes of Nicodemus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
2. Minnie asks Sophie whether she likes Frank, and Sophie does not admit how she really feels. Why doesn't Sophie share her true feelings despite her strong personality?
3. Minnie has braids in her hair when she and Frank first meet. Yet, when Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair on their visit, Frank gets angry. Why does Frank hate Minnie's hair this way?
4. Miss Leah describes city people as hiding behind something. How does this symbolize Frank?
5. Miss Leah is not usually one to stand silent, but when it comes to domestic abuse she says very little. Why doesn't Miss Leah say anything to Minnie even though she knows Frank is likely to hit again?
6. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
7. What happy sign of true love is apparent in the last scene?
8. What does Miss Leah continue to do with Minnie's daughter that she is most famous for?
9. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
10. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)