|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(d) A homely dress.
2. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
(a) Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.
(b) Mother and daughter.
(c) Grandmother and grandchild.
3. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
(a) Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie.
(b) Everyone but Frank.
(c) Fannie and Wil standing next to each other.
(d) Minnie's stylish hat.
4. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
(a) He follows her until she agrees to go out on a date.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He dedicates a poem to her.
(d) He writes a poem about her.
5. Wil is raised by whom?
(a) His grandparents.
(b) Freed slaves.
(c) Seminole Natives.
(d) White slaveowners.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
2. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
3. What does the reader discover about Sophie's past?
4. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
5. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Frank is a mulatto, half black and half white. What does this status offer Frank in privileges and consequences?
3. Minnie asks Sophie whether she likes Frank, and Sophie does not admit how she really feels. Why doesn't Sophie share her true feelings despite her strong personality?
4. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
5. Frank shows some tenderness toward Minnie, but he is also easily angered. Overall, what does Frank think of Minnie?
6. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
7. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
8. Who is Wil Parrish and what does his history say about him?
9. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
10. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)