|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
(a) She is scared of the novelty.
(b) She focuses on her work more than her surroundings.
(c) She is excited about the different culture.
(d) She does not care as long as she is with Frank.
2. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(b) "Black death."
3. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her eyeglasses.
(b) Her shawl.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her cane.
4. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
(d) In denial.
5. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
(a) Unconditionally loving.
(b) Male dominant.
(c) Female dominant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
2. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
3. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
4. What news does Minnie yell to stop Sophie from hurting Frank?
5. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
2. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
3. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. Frank consistently hits Minnie but what boundary does he overstep when Minnie tells him she will not sell her land?
5. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
6. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
7. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
8. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
9. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
10. What is Sophie's opinion about domestic abuse and how does this match her personality?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)