|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
(a) He is truly good to Minnie.
(b) He helps expand Nicodemus.
(c) He accepts prairie life as equal to city life.
(d) He pays for Minnie's share of property.
2. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
(a) Impatient to get home again.
(b) Impatiently excited.
(c) Curious about the trains engineering.
(d) Coquettish with Wil.
3. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
(a) She bakes him a pie.
(b) She invites him to dinner.
(c) She sends him flowers.
(d) She sends Fannie to tell him thank you.
4. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(b) To be white.
(d) A man.
5. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
(a) A flask.
(b) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
2. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
3. What happens when Sophie and Fannie walk in on Minnie and Frank?
4. What is Sophie's attitude toward Frank when they first meet?
5. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's ritual after their dinner.
2. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
3. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
4. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
5. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
6. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
7. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
8. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
9. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
10. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)