|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
(a) Their freedom.
(b) Independence of men.
(c) The fact that they are property owners.
(d) Their womanhood.
2. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
(a) His father owned Frank's mother.
(b) Frank's mother kept house for Frank's grandfather.
(c) They worked on the same plantation.
(d) In the town grocery.
3. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
4. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) Their songs and stories.
(b) The natural comraderie.
(c) The way they look.
(d) Their strength in surviving anything.
5. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
(a) Sophie uses a cane.
(b) Fannie is described as wearing girlish clothing.
(c) Sophie makes better coffee.
(d) Fannie often defers to what Sophie says.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
2. What does the reader discover about Sophie's past?
3. Why is it difficult for Frank to miss colored people?
4. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
5. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sense of feeling does the reader get when Miss Leah and Minnie talk as Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair?
2. How does Minnie's explanation for her bruised face imply it is due to Frank?
3. What is Minnie's attitude in regard to London and Nicodemus? How does she feel about each place and why?
4. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
5. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
6. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
7. Why does Minnie hand the deed over to Sophie when she retrieves it?
8. When Minnie greets her sisters, she mentions that Frank is talking to a man from the train, "a white man" she adds. Why does Minnie add this remark of a white man?
9. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
10. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)