|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
(a) Mr. Baker.
(b) Mr. Lewiston.
(c) Wil Parrish.
(d) Miss Leah.
2. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
(b) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(c) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(d) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
3. What does Sophie think about Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
(a) She supports it.
(b) She does not understand it.
(c) She is upset by it.
(d) It doesn't bother her as long as no one is hurt.
4. What is Sophie's attitude toward Frank when they first meet?
(b) Overly warm.
5. What is Sophie trying to convince the Negroes of Nicodemus?
(a) To learn how to read.
(b) Not to sell their land to speculators.
(c) To sell their land to speculators for a certain price.
(d) To open up a school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Frank originally from?
2. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
3. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
4. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
5. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
2. When Minnie consoles Frank, she mentions "our deed." When Frank talks about the future he speaks about a "chance for [him] to get back on [his] feet." How do these statements show how each of them feels about their marriage?
3. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
5. Minnie reveals her bruise when she takes off her hat. What are her sister's reaction to it and her story about how it happened?
6. Why does Minnie hand the deed over to Sophie when she retrieves it?
7. Describe Miss Leah's character. How is she important to the story?
8. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
9. What changes are seen in Sophie from the beginning of the play to the end?
10. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)