|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank's tone can be assumed as __________.
2. How does Minnie explain her injury?
(a) She was dancing and fell in the street.
(b) She slipped when in New Orleans.
(c) She fell on the train.
(d) She was cutting wood.
3. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
(a) A poster.
(b) A sample of Frank's writings.
(c) Pretty stationary and pen.
(d) An autographed book of Dunbar poetry.
4. What is Minnie doing when Act I, Scene IV ends?
(a) Sewing happily with Miss Leah.
(b) Giving Frank a kiss goodbye as he leaves for town.
(c) Undoing her plaits.
(d) Timidly rocking back and forth on the porch.
5. Why does Miss Leah begin to have children so early?
(a) It is the only form of love she knows.
(b) This allows her to not work on the plantation.
(c) Her slave owner makes her.
(d) She is raped by the slave owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
2. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
3. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
4. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
5. What is Sophie celebrating when Miss Leah enters her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. There is talk of speculators around Nicodemus. Who are they and what do they want? How do they influence the future of Nicodemus?
3. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
4. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
5. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
6. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
7. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
8. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
9. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
10. What is the mood of the last scene of the play, and how is it shown?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)