|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank hate about the U.S.?
(b) The weather.
(c) The lack of appreciation for poetry.
2. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
(a) Miss Leah.
3. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He looks white.
(b) He is part white.
(c) He is part black.
(d) He is part Native American.
4. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) The natural comraderie.
(b) Their strength in surviving anything.
(c) The way they look.
(d) Their songs and stories.
5. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A chicken.
(b) An axe.
(c) A shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
2. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
3. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
4. Frank's tone can be assumed as __________.
5. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
2. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
3. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
4. At first, Sophie is adamant about convincing Minnie she needs to stop this abuse. Suddenly she stops talking and walks away. What does Minnie say to offend Sophie so much?
5. Wil mentions that he does not understand black-on-black crime when they have enough to deal with from white folk. Why would this not apply to Frank?
6. When Minnie greets her sisters, she mentions that Frank is talking to a man from the train, "a white man" she adds. Why does Minnie add this remark of a white man?
7. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
8. When Minnie first wakes up in Act 1, Scene 4, Miss Leah remarks that Minnie is looking more like herself this morning. What does she mean by this?
9. Miss Leah is not usually one to stand silent, but when it comes to domestic abuse she says very little. Why doesn't Miss Leah say anything to Minnie even though she knows Frank is likely to hit again?
10. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)