|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(c) New Orleans.
2. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He looks white.
(b) He is part black.
(c) He is part white.
(d) He is part Native American.
3. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
(a) Negotiable prices for speculators.
(b) Plans to expand Nicodemus.
(c) Opening a school.
(d) Writing a book of their stories.
4. Why does Frank make Sophie nervous?
(a) Frank always carries a shotgun with him.
(b) She believes he hates colored people.
(c) Frank drinks too much.
(d) His city lifestyle is discomforting to her.
5. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(b) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
(c) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(d) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Wil show he is a good man?
2. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
3. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
4. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
5. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
2. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
3. What is Frank so proud of about his life in London, and why?
4. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
5. Frank quickly passes Fannie and Miss Leah but stops to talk with Sophie. Why does he react so differently with the women?
6. What is Frank's attitude in regard to Nicodemus? Why?
7. What news does Frank get that causes him to withdraw from everyone?
8. Who is Wil Parrish and what does his history say about him?
9. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
10. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)