|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
(c) Miss Leah.
2. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) Their songs and stories.
(b) The natural comraderie.
(c) Their strength in surviving anything.
(d) The way they look.
3. How does Fannie show Frank a warm welcome?
(a) She smiles warmly at him.
(b) She kisses his cheek.
(c) She shakes his hand for a long time.
(d) She gives him a bear hug.
4. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(d) A homely dress.
5. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She has no feelings toward the man.
(b) She loves him more than anything else.
(c) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
(d) She despises him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
2. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
3. What does the reader discover about Sophie's past?
4. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
5. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
2. What does a woman have to consider in addition to her love before she leaves a husband? How does this affect Minnie and the people she knows?
3. Sophie and Fannie give Minnie a deed to a third of the property for her 21st birthday. How do Minnie and Frank react to the gift?
4. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
5. Miss Leah is not usually one to stand silent, but when it comes to domestic abuse she says very little. Why doesn't Miss Leah say anything to Minnie even though she knows Frank is likely to hit again?
6. When Minnie consoles Frank, she mentions "our deed." When Frank talks about the future he speaks about a "chance for [him] to get back on [his] feet." How do these statements show how each of them feels about their marriage?
7. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
8. Why is it important that Fannie be the one to serve Frank the apple pie?
9. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
10. Minnie asks Sophie whether she likes Frank, and Sophie does not admit how she really feels. Why doesn't Sophie share her true feelings despite her strong personality?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)