|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's relationship is _________.
2. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
(a) Gives her a fashion makeover.
(b) Proposes to her.
(c) Tells her how to act.
(d) Tells her he loves her.
3. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her cane.
(b) Her shawl.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her eyeglasses.
4. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) Their strength in surviving anything.
(b) The way they look.
(c) The natural comraderie.
(d) Their songs and stories.
5. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He is part Native American.
(b) He looks white.
(c) He is part black.
(d) He is part white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
2. Where is Frank originally from?
3. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
4. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
5. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
2. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
3. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
4. What does Minnie miss about Kansas and why?
5. What does Miss Leah continue to do with Minnie's daughter that she is most famous for?
6. Compare and contrast London, Memphis, and Nicodemus.
7. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
8. Minnie asks Sophie whether she likes Frank, and Sophie does not admit how she really feels. Why doesn't Sophie share her true feelings despite her strong personality?
9. Act I, Scene V ends with Minnie's news about her pregnancy. How does this complicate her life even further?
10. What commonality do Sophie and Frank share, but react differently to?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)