|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's relationship is _________.
2. What does Wil bring when he arrives to dinner?
(a) Flowers for Fannie.
(b) Flowers for Miss Leah.
(c) Flowers for Minnie.
(d) Flowers for Sophie.
3. What is Frank adamant about in regard to home?
(a) It is always in New Orleans and nowhere else.
(b) It is in London, not Nicodemus.
(c) Home is wherever he and Minnie are together.
(d) Home is wherever family is.
4. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
5. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
(a) She is the middle child.
(b) She is the youngest.
(c) She is an adopted child.
(d) She is the eldest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
2. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
3. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
4. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
5. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sophie could not care less about Memphis, but is absolutely passionate about Kansas. Why is Sophie so passionate about Nicodemus, Kansas?
2. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
3. Why does Minnie make excuses for Frank's aggressive behavior?
4. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
5. Minnie has braids in her hair when she and Frank first meet. Yet, when Miss Leah braids Minnie's hair on their visit, Frank gets angry. Why does Frank hate Minnie's hair this way?
6. On previous occasions, Frank shows a little bit of guilt when he is aggressive with Minnie. What causes Frank to beat Minnie so badly and still be able to haughtily talk to Sophie as if he never hurt her?
7. Frank learns from his poker friends that the sisters are sitting on land that is worth a lot of money. How does this knowledge foreshadow events?
8. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
10. What does Fannie reveal to Minnie in Act 2, Scene 1 about her knowledge of physical abuse?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)