|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(c) A homely dress.
2. Why does Miss Leah begin to have children so early?
(a) Her slave owner makes her.
(b) She is raped by the slave owner.
(c) It is the only form of love she knows.
(d) This allows her to not work on the plantation.
3. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
(a) Fannie's paintings.
(b) Fannie's writings.
(c) Sophie's plans for Nicodemus.
(d) Miss Leah's surprise quilt for Minnie.
4. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
(a) Frank Charles.
(b) Wil Parrish.
(c) Sophie Washington.
(d) White speculators.
5. What news does Minnie yell to stop Sophie from hurting Frank?
(a) That Sophie is overreacting.
(b) That it is Minnie's fault.
(c) That she loves Frank.
(d) That Minnie is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
2. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
3. What does Frank learn while he is in town?
4. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
5. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Frank's brothers have disowned him since their father's death. How does this explain Frank's defensive insecurities?
2. What struggle does Frank have with Sophie that prompts him to tell her to stop being high and mighty?
3. Miss Leah is not usually one to stand silent, but when it comes to domestic abuse she says very little. Why doesn't Miss Leah say anything to Minnie even though she knows Frank is likely to hit again?
4. Describe Nicodemus and its people. How do they feel about one another? What feelings do one from there?
5. Describe Miss Leah's character. How is she important to the story?
6. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
7. Frank arrives home drunk and, due to his gambling, with less money. Describe Frank's vices and how it comes out on his wife.
8. Why does Frank beat Minnie to a dreadful state in Act 2, Scene 3? What does he get out of it?
9. What is Minnie's attitude in regard to London and Nicodemus? How does she feel about each place and why?
10. What vision does Sophie have for Nicodemus?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)