|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
(a) Fannie often defers to what Sophie says.
(b) Sophie makes better coffee.
(c) Fannie is described as wearing girlish clothing.
(d) Sophie uses a cane.
2. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(b) A man.
(d) To be white.
3. Where is Frank originally from?
(d) New Orleans.
4. What does Wil bring when he arrives to dinner?
(a) Flowers for Minnie.
(b) Flowers for Miss Leah.
(c) Flowers for Fannie.
(d) Flowers for Sophie.
5. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(b) "Black death."
Short Answer Questions
1. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
2. What place does Wil miss?
3. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
4. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
5. What does Frank do while in town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sophie's reaction when Minnie hands over the deed and what does that say about Sophie?
2. When Minnie consoles Frank, she mentions "our deed." When Frank talks about the future he speaks about a "chance for [him] to get back on [his] feet." How do these statements show how each of them feels about their marriage?
3. Sophie could not care less about Memphis, but is absolutely passionate about Kansas. Why is Sophie so passionate about Nicodemus, Kansas?
4. Why does Minnie hand the deed over to Sophie when she retrieves it?
5. When Sophie explains to Minnie that she's working on the vote in regard to the speculators, Minnie asks if politics are really important. How does this show Minnie's naivete?
6. Sophie mentions a Joshe and Belle. How does their story influence how Sophie feels about Minnie's domestic situation?
7. What is Minnie's reaction when she first sees Frank dead?
8. What is Minnie thinking while Frank beats her up in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. The opening scene of Act I Scene IV has Miss Leah, Sophie, and Fannie awake, while Minnie and Frank are the last to get up. How does this indicate how each of them leads their lives?
10. Why did Miss Leah go west?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)