|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
(a) White speculators.
(b) Sophie Washington.
(c) Frank Charles.
(d) Wil Parrish.
2. What does Minnie want to do with her hair?
(a) Cut it real short.
(b) Braid it.
(c) Straighten it.
(d) Grow it long.
3. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
(a) Go to college.
(b) Care for the farm.
(c) Have children.
(d) Care for Miss Leah.
4. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her shawl.
(b) Her eyeglasses.
(c) Her cane.
(d) Her gloves.
5. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
2. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
3. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
4. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
5. How does Wil show he is a good man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Fannie and Sophie's introduction to Frank.
2. Frank is now stuck in Kansas with no money. How does this reality hit Frank, and what does this do to all the denials he has been suppressing?
3. How do so many black people end up in Nicodemus, Kansas? What are they all looking for?
4. What is Sophie's reaction when Minnie hands over the deed and what does that say about Sophie?
5. Sophie could not care less about Memphis, but is absolutely passionate about Kansas. Why is Sophie so passionate about Nicodemus, Kansas?
6. What happy sign of true love is apparent in the last scene?
7. What does a woman have to consider in addition to her love before she leaves a husband? How does this affect Minnie and the people she knows?
8. What is Sophie's nature and how does this help the Dove sisters?
9. When Minnie greets her sisters, she mentions that Frank is talking to a man from the train, "a white man" she adds. Why does Minnie add this remark of a white man?
10. What plan does Miss Leah offer Minnie and her family in Act 2, Scene 4 so they can all live in peace?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)