|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Frank going in Act 2, Scene 3 when he encounters Fannie and Miss Leah?
(a) Post office.
(b) Out for a walk.
2. What does Fannie pressure Minnie to do regarding Frank?
(a) Work it out with Frank.
(b) Talk with Sophie about it because she knows best.
(c) Leave Frank.
(d) Seek revenge against Frank.
3. Who comes by with a telegram for Frank?
(a) A courier.
(b) Mr. Baker.
(c) Wil Parrish.
(d) The white men from the train.
4. When does Miss Leah go west?
(a) The day the Homestead Act is enacted.
(b) When all her children dies.
(c) When James dies.
(d) As soon as she is freed.
5. What alternative does Frank think can also hurt Sophie?
(a) Getting Fannie to be on his side too.
(b) Stay and compete with her to be the leader of the town.
(c) Burn her fields.
(d) Never letting Sophie see Minnie's baby.
6. Frank threatens to do what to Minnie in Act 2, scene 2?
(a) Kill her and her family.
(b) Bring her to town and sell her off.
(c) Leave her in Kansas.
(d) Purposefully cause a miscarriage.
7. What is Frank's attitude when he encounters Sophie by the yard?
8. What is Sophie's mood before she encounters Frank in the yard?
(a) Disappointed in the town.
(c) Disappointed in herself.
9. What does Miss Leah think of Frank's violent behavior?
(a) Minnie can work it out if she becomes a better wife.
(b) Frank needs to learn a lesson.
(c) He will never change.
(d) It is just a phase.
10. What does Fannie entice Frank with to get him to stay and talk?
(a) She tells him that Minnie is getting dressed up nicely and he should wait while she does so.
(b) She lets him know Sophie is gone for a few days.
(d) Apple pie.
11. What does Miss Leah tell Minnie about her pregnancy?
(a) If Minnie wants to stay healthy for the baby, she should leave Frank.
(b) Pregnancy is important but Minnie's safety is the first priority.
(c) Minnie will probably have complications but to try her best.
(d) Enough babies have been taken and Minnie must not lose hers.
12. What rude advice does Frank give Sophie?
(a) To learn when to mind her own business.
(b) If she's smart enough, she'll know when to shut her trap.
(c) To stop trying to make Nicodemus something it will never be.
(d) To stop being high and mighty.
13. About a week after Frank's physical outburst, Act 2, Scene 2 opens up with everyone getting ready to go where?
(b) The train station.
(c) The Saturday market.
(d) A picnic.
14. What hurts Sophie's feelings enough to stop her from advising Minnie?
(a) Minnie tells Sophie she thinks she is so high and mighty when she is not.
(b) Miss Leah tells Sophie this is one time she should learn to shut her trap.
(c) Fannie tells Sophie she is too harsh of a woman.
(d) Minnie tells Sophie she doesn't know what love is.
15. What does Fannie think about Frank's feelings toward Minnie?
(a) She still believes Minnie should leave him.
(b) She thinks Frank loves Minnie but sometimes circumstances can be hard.
(c) She thinks he will likely hit her again.
(d) She believes he is sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Leah tells stories to Minnie and mentions a man named James. Who is James to Miss Leah?
2. What does Miss Leah ask when she joins Fannie and Wil in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What excuse does Minnie give to justify forgiveness for Frank's behavior?
4. What does Minnie reveal about Frank's current situation in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is Minnie most concerned about the day after Frank pushes her in front of her sisters?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)