|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What truth does Frank finally face when Minnie tries to comfort him?
(a) That he is a bastard.
(b) That he is lucky to have Minnie.
(c) That he needs the black community's support.
(d) That Sophie is right about everything.
2. What is Minnie and Frank's reaction when they see Sophie in the kitchen?
(a) They clasp each other's hands in fear of what Sophie will say or do.
(b) Minnie is excited and runs to hug her while Frank waits.
(c) They are both nervously startled.
(d) Frank is happy for the opportunity to apologize to Sophie while Minnie smiles on.
3. Where is Frank as Minnie speaks with her sisters about what to do about Frank?
(a) Skulking in the yard.
(b) Listening in by the window from outside.
(c) In town drinking and gambling.
(d) In town checking for telegrams.
4. When does Miss Leah go west?
(a) As soon as she is freed.
(b) When all her children dies.
(c) When James dies.
(d) The day the Homestead Act is enacted.
5. What hurts Sophie's feelings enough to stop her from advising Minnie?
(a) Minnie tells Sophie she thinks she is so high and mighty when she is not.
(b) Miss Leah tells Sophie this is one time she should learn to shut her trap.
(c) Fannie tells Sophie she is too harsh of a woman.
(d) Minnie tells Sophie she doesn't know what love is.
6. Who seems the most upset at Frank for his violent behavior?
(a) Wil Parrish.
(c) Miss Leah.
7. What does Sophie do that comforts Minnie in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) She is the first to hug Minnie as she cries.
(b) She lays a blanket over Frank so Minnie will stop her unconscious stare.
(c) She refuses the deed Minnie hands over.
(d) Brings everyone together for a group hug.
8. Who comes by with a telegram for Frank?
(a) Mr. Baker.
(b) The white men from the train.
(c) A courier.
(d) Wil Parrish.
9. Who opens the door when Frank arrives?
(a) Miss Leah.
(c) The door is already open.
10. Sophie makes a speech in church about the speculators and selling the land. When will the vote take place from the time she gives her speech?
(a) The next day.
(b) Not for another month.
(c) The same day.
(d) The next week.
11. What shows Frank's personal rivalry with Sophie in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He smirks at Sophie when Minnie hugs him.
(b) An inappropriate hand gesture at Sophie when Minnie hugs him.
(c) He asks Minnie to stop taking advice from Sophie.
(d) He greets everyone but blatantly ignores Sophie.
12. What does Miss Leah think of Frank's violent behavior?
(a) Minnie can work it out if she becomes a better wife.
(b) It is just a phase.
(c) Frank needs to learn a lesson.
(d) He will never change.
13. What does Fannie offer Frank in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) A chance to return what is Minnie's or he will pay without knowing it.
(b) To buy the deed back.
(c) A chance to apologize for his actions.
(d) Property if he stays and leads Nicodemus.
14. In the family, Fannie can be considered __________.
(a) The sister who chooses to ignore what does not directly affect her.
(b) The bravest.
(c) The peacemaker.
(d) The instigator.
15. What rude advice does Frank give Sophie?
(a) If she's smart enough, she'll know when to shut her trap.
(b) To stop trying to make Nicodemus something it will never be.
(c) To learn when to mind her own business.
(d) To stop being high and mighty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minnie find out about her own parents?
2. According to Minnie's mother, why don't some black women leave their husbands when they are abusive?
3. What does Fannie want from Sophie in regard to Minnie's happiness?
4. When is the first thing Frank does when he reads the telegram?
5. What does Miss Leah ask when she joins Fannie and Wil in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)