|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sophie's speech go at church?
(a) There are many arguments that the money is too much to refuse.
(c) Not many people stay to hear her speak.
(d) Sophie gets nervous and stammers the entire time.
2. Where are Sophie and Wil when Frank comes by the house in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Waiting in the bedroom.
(b) Hiding outside.
(c) Talking to potential speculators.
(d) Waiting behind the front door.
3. What is the only reason Sophie is sorry for Frank's troubles?
(a) Because it might make Frank stay in Kansas and closer to her.
(b) Because they concern Minnie too.
(c) Because Sophie doesn't believe in wishing bad luck on anyone.
(d) Because Frank might ask her for help.
4. What does Fannie entice Frank with to get him to stay and talk?
(b) She lets him know Sophie is gone for a few days.
(c) She tells him that Minnie is getting dressed up nicely and he should wait while she does so.
(d) Apple pie.
5. What does Wil offer Fannie as they talk on the porch?
(a) To buy them more land.
(b) To kill Frank.
(c) To share his land with Fannie and her sisters.
(d) To beat up Frank.
6. What does Fannie offer Frank in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) A chance to return what is Minnie's or he will pay without knowing it.
(b) Property if he stays and leads Nicodemus.
(c) To buy the deed back.
(d) A chance to apologize for his actions.
7. According to MInnie, what event causes Frank to escalate his hate for black people?
(a) Frank is robbed by a black man.
(b) Frank loses a job to a less-qualified white man.
(c) Frank realizes the only educated people he knows are all white.
(d) His father's death.
8. Which character in Act II Scene IV carries a shotgun at the front porch?
(a) Miss Leah.
(c) Wil Parrish.
9. What causes Minnie to stumble her way into the main room in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) She has been beaten by Frank.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is attacked by the white men from the train.
(d) She is attacked by black folks on her way home.
10. Frank tells the white men on the train Minnie is __________.
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A whore he won in a card game.
(c) An indentured servant.
(d) A gift from his brothers.
11. What do the sister's give Minnie for her 21st birthday?
(a) A deed to a third of the property.
(b) An expensive dress so she wouldn't miss London so much.
(c) A paid for passage ticket back to London.
(d) A deed to all their land in Nicodemus, Kansas.
12. Sophie makes a speech in church about the speculators and selling the land. When will the vote take place from the time she gives her speech?
(a) Not for another month.
(b) The next week.
(c) The same day.
(d) The next day.
13. Miss Leah tells stories to Minnie and mentions a man named James. Who is James to Miss Leah?
(a) Miss Leah's late husband.
(b) Miss Leah's first child.
(c) Miss Leah's overseer.
(d) Miss Leah's previous slave owner.
14. About a week after Frank's physical outburst, Act 2, Scene 2 opens up with everyone getting ready to go where?
(b) The Saturday market.
(c) The train station.
(d) A picnic.
15. What does Fannie say to make Frank believe she is on his side?
(a) A wife's first allegiance is to her husband.
(b) All she wants is peace between everyone, no matter what it takes.
(c) Minnie can be too childish at times, and she understands his frustrations.
(d) Sophie likes to overreact and she does not agree with it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What alternative does Frank think can also hurt Sophie?
2. What stops Frank and Minnie from returning to their old life in London?
3. What does Miss Leah share with Minnie about James's feelings toward her children?
4. What is Fannie's reaction when she sees Minnie struggle into the main room in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Minnie refuses to do what for Frank?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)