|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fannie think about Frank's feelings toward Minnie?
(a) She thinks he will likely hit her again.
(b) She still believes Minnie should leave him.
(c) She thinks Frank loves Minnie but sometimes circumstances can be hard.
(d) She believes he is sorry.
2. What does Miss Leah insinuate when she says Sophie is out all week not to swing votes but for other reasons?
(a) Sophie is planning something sneaky to swing the vote.
(b) Sophie is working on the speculators as much as her speech.
(c) Sophie is avoiding Frank.
(d) Sophie is avoiding Minnie.
3. How does Minnie and her family know what Frank's situation is in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Wil tells them what he has heard in town.
(b) Sophie demands Frank explain his behavior.
(c) Fannie reads the telegram aloud.
(d) Frank yells it aloud in anger.
4. Where is Frank going in Act 2, Scene 3 when he encounters Fannie and Miss Leah?
(a) Out for a walk.
(d) Post office.
5. What does Sophie do that comforts Minnie in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) Brings everyone together for a group hug.
(b) She refuses the deed Minnie hands over.
(c) She lays a blanket over Frank so Minnie will stop her unconscious stare.
(d) She is the first to hug Minnie as she cries.
6. Who opens the door when Frank arrives?
(a) The door is already open.
(b) Miss Leah.
7. What does Minnie find out about her own parents?
(a) Her father used to abuse Sophie.
(b) Her father was abusive to her mother.
(c) Her parents used to hit Fannie.
(d) Her parents were never married.
8. What does Miss Leah ask when she joins Fannie and Wil in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Where Sophie is.
(b) What they should do to stop Sophie from going too far.
(c) What they should do about Frank.
(d) Where Frank is.
9. According to Minnie's mother, why don't some black women leave their husbands when they are abusive?
(a) If the man is good to the children, the mother will sacrifice herself.
(b) It is dishonorable.
(c) They have to deal with the white folks first.
(d) Because they still love them.
10. According to MInnie, what event causes Frank to escalate his hate for black people?
(a) Frank realizes the only educated people he knows are all white.
(b) Frank is robbed by a black man.
(c) His father's death.
(d) Frank loses a job to a less-qualified white man.
11. What truth does Frank finally face when Minnie tries to comfort him?
(a) That he is lucky to have Minnie.
(b) That he is a bastard.
(c) That Sophie is right about everything.
(d) That he needs the black community's support.
12. What is Sophie's mood before she encounters Frank in the yard?
(a) Disappointed in the town.
(d) Disappointed in herself.
13. What does Miss Leah tell Minnie about her pregnancy?
(a) Minnie will probably have complications but to try her best.
(b) If Minnie wants to stay healthy for the baby, she should leave Frank.
(c) Pregnancy is important but Minnie's safety is the first priority.
(d) Enough babies have been taken and Minnie must not lose hers.
14. What rude advice does Frank give Sophie?
(a) To stop trying to make Nicodemus something it will never be.
(b) To learn when to mind her own business.
(c) If she's smart enough, she'll know when to shut her trap.
(d) To stop being high and mighty.
15. What is the only reason Sophie is sorry for Frank's troubles?
(a) Because Frank might ask her for help.
(b) Because it might make Frank stay in Kansas and closer to her.
(c) Because they concern Minnie too.
(d) Because Sophie doesn't believe in wishing bad luck on anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Leah share with Minnie about James's feelings toward her children?
2. Who seems the most upset at Frank for his violent behavior?
3. Where are Sophie and Wil when Frank comes by the house in Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What is Fannie's reaction when she sees Minnie struggle into the main room in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. When does Miss Leah go west?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)