|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
(a) Miss Lewiston.
(b) Miss Baker.
(c) Wil Parrish.
(d) Miss Leah.
2. What place does Wil miss?
3. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(d) "Black death."
4. What surprises Miss Leah about Minnie's life abroad?
(a) Black people get to vote.
(b) The education system is not segregated between blacks and whites.
(c) There is still slavery.
(d) There are no Jim Crow laws.
5. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
(a) Sophie uses a cane.
(b) Sophie makes better coffee.
(c) Fannie often defers to what Sophie says.
(d) Fannie is described as wearing girlish clothing.
6. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
(a) The fact that they are property owners.
(b) Their womanhood.
(c) Their freedom.
(d) Independence of men.
7. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
(a) An autographed book of Dunbar poetry.
(b) A sample of Frank's writings.
(c) Pretty stationary and pen.
(d) A poster.
8. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
(a) He is competitive with Wil.
(b) He is nervous about Sophie and Fannie's opinion of him.
(c) He is excited to meet Minnie's family.
(d) He does not want to be there.
9. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
(a) They are waiting to hear from Wil Parrish.
(b) They are preparing for their ritual.
(c) They are waiting for Frank to come home.
(d) They are discussing the expansion plans of Nicodemus.
10. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
(a) Miss Lewiston will not be able to lend her wagon to Sophie.
(b) Miss Baker just gave birth to a healthy child.
(c) Miss Lewiston will not be able to teach school in the spring.
(d) Miss Lewiston cannot come to help care for Miss Leah.
11. What does Minnie want to do with her hair?
(a) Grow it long.
(b) Straighten it.
(c) Braid it.
(d) Cut it real short.
12. How does Fannie show Frank a warm welcome?
(a) She gives him a bear hug.
(b) She smiles warmly at him.
(c) She kisses his cheek.
(d) She shakes his hand for a long time.
13. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
(a) He absolutely adores it.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He thinks it fits her well.
(d) He likes her old hair better but figures it will still do.
14. What are Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
(a) He thinks she can be boring.
(b) He disrespects her.
(c) He dislikes the way she handles home life.
(d) He admires her.
15. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
(a) To visit Miss Leah before she passes on.
(b) To handle Minnie's share of property.
(c) To handle Frank's father's will.
(d) Solely to visit Sophie and Fannie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie think about Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
2. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
3. What is Sophie celebrating when Miss Leah enters her home?
4. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
5. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)