|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
2. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He is part Native American.
(b) He is part white.
(c) He looks white.
(d) He is part black.
3. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
(a) That no one can sell their land unless there is a town vote.
(b) That everyone must attend literacy courses.
(c) That everyone has the freedom to privately sell their land whenever and to whomever.
(d) Those who sell their land must tell the rest of the town whom they are selling to.
4. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
(d) New Orleans.
5. What are Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
(a) He disrespects her.
(b) He admires her.
(c) He thinks she can be boring.
(d) He dislikes the way she handles home life.
6. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Openly and not hidden.
(b) Quietly among family only.
(c) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(d) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
7. What does Frank hate about the U.S.?
(c) The lack of appreciation for poetry.
(d) The weather.
8. How old is Frank when he first travels to Europe?
9. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
(a) Going to town to find Frank.
(b) Checking on the horses.
(d) Chopping wood.
10. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(a) A man.
(d) To be white.
11. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
(a) The station manager.
(b) The ticket collector.
(c) Some white men from the train.
(d) Wil Parrish.
12. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(b) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
(c) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
(d) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
13. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
(a) He is truly good to Minnie.
(b) He pays for Minnie's share of property.
(c) He helps expand Nicodemus.
(d) He accepts prairie life as equal to city life.
14. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
(a) Wil Parrish.
(b) Frank Charles.
(c) Sophie Washington.
(d) White speculators.
15. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
(a) Miss Lewiston.
(b) Wil Parrish.
(c) Miss Baker.
(d) Miss Leah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie show Minnie when Fannie goes to bed?
2. Why does Frank think Minnie brings no luck?
3. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
4. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
5. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)