|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
(a) Your strength.
(b) There's nothing to hide behind between you and your soul.
(c) Your determination to keep free.
(d) Your tenacity to survive.
2. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(b) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
(c) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(d) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
3. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
(a) Negotiable prices for speculators.
(b) Opening a school.
(c) Writing a book of their stories.
(d) Plans to expand Nicodemus.
4. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
(a) Miss Baker.
(b) Miss Leah.
(c) Miss Lewiston.
(d) Wil Parrish.
5. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
(a) Independence of men.
(b) The fact that they are property owners.
(c) Their womanhood.
(d) Their freedom.
6. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
(a) Pretty stationary and pen.
(b) A sample of Frank's writings.
(c) An autographed book of Dunbar poetry.
(d) A poster.
7. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
(a) He is part Native American.
(b) He is part black.
(c) He is part white.
(d) He looks white.
8. What does Frank mention that offends Wil?
(a) Reference to being a homesteader.
(b) Reference to being illiterate.
(c) Reference to being a wild Indian.
(d) Reference to being a slave.
9. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(b) "Black death."
10. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
(b) Quietly among family only.
(c) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(d) Openly and not hidden.
11. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
(a) A "nigger."
(b) An "animal."
(c) A "picanniny."
(d) A "monkey."
12. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
(a) Miss Leah.
13. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
(a) They are waiting for Frank to come home.
(b) They are discussing the expansion plans of Nicodemus.
(c) They are waiting to hear from Wil Parrish.
(d) They are preparing for their ritual.
14. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
(a) A nigger.
(b) A picaninny.
(c) A monkey.
(d) An animal.
15. What does Frank do while in town?
(a) Picks up flowers and candies for Minnie.
(b) Gives a poetry reading.
(c) Picks up a white woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sophie celebrating when Miss Leah enters her home?
2. What does Wil bring when he arrives to dinner?
3. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
4. Why is it difficult for Frank to miss colored people?
5. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)