|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
(a) He is competitive with Wil.
(b) He is excited to meet Minnie's family.
(c) He is nervous about Sophie and Fannie's opinion of him.
(d) He does not want to be there.
2. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(d) New Orleans.
3. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) A flask.
(c) A shotgun.
4. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
(a) Writing a book of their stories.
(b) Opening a school.
(c) Plans to expand Nicodemus.
(d) Negotiable prices for speculators.
5. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A shotgun.
(c) A chicken.
(d) An axe.
6. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
(a) She punches Frank in the face.
(b) She steps in front of Minnie to protect her.
(c) She lunges toward Frank.
(d) She aims a shotgun at him.
7. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
(a) Wil Parrish.
(b) White speculators.
(c) Sophie Washington.
(d) Frank Charles.
8. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
(a) A scar.
(b) A cut on her hand.
(c) A bruised face.
(d) A bruise on her arm.
9. What is Minnie doing when Act I, Scene IV ends?
(a) Timidly rocking back and forth on the porch.
(b) Sewing happily with Miss Leah.
(c) Undoing her plaits.
(d) Giving Frank a kiss goodbye as he leaves for town.
10. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
(a) Miss Lewiston cannot come to help care for Miss Leah.
(b) Miss Lewiston will not be able to teach school in the spring.
(c) Miss Baker just gave birth to a healthy child.
(d) Miss Lewiston will not be able to lend her wagon to Sophie.
11. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
12. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
(a) Going to town to find Frank.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Checking on the horses.
13. Wil is raised by whom?
(a) Seminole Natives.
(b) White slaveowners.
(c) Freed slaves.
(d) His grandparents.
14. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(a) A man.
(b) To be white.
15. What does Frank hate about the U.S.?
(a) The weather.
(b) The lack of appreciation for poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
2. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
3. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
4. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
5. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)