|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Leah begin to have children so early?
(a) It is the only form of love she knows.
(b) Her slave owner makes her.
(c) This allows her to not work on the plantation.
(d) She is raped by the slave owner.
2. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
(c) In denial.
3. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
(a) A nigger.
(b) A picaninny.
(c) A monkey.
(d) An animal.
4. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
(a) They are waiting to hear from Wil Parrish.
(b) They are preparing for their ritual.
(c) They are waiting for Frank to come home.
(d) They are discussing the expansion plans of Nicodemus.
5. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(b) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
(c) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(d) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
6. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
(a) Unconditionally loving.
(c) Male dominant.
(d) Female dominant.
7. Frank's tone can be assumed as __________.
8. Frank can be considered what about prairie life?
9. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
(a) Scary and awful.
(d) She already feels dead inside by this time.
10. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(b) A homely dress.
11. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
(a) That everyone has the freedom to privately sell their land whenever and to whomever.
(b) Those who sell their land must tell the rest of the town whom they are selling to.
(c) That no one can sell their land unless there is a town vote.
(d) That everyone must attend literacy courses.
12. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
(b) Openly and not hidden.
(c) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(d) Quietly among family only.
13. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
(a) His father owned Frank's mother.
(b) They worked on the same plantation.
(c) In the town grocery.
(d) Frank's mother kept house for Frank's grandfather.
14. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
(a) In poor condition.
15. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
(a) Curious about the trains engineering.
(b) Coquettish with Wil.
(c) Impatient to get home again.
(d) Impatiently excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Frank adamant about in regard to home?
2. What does Miss Leah refuse to use despite her obvious need?
3. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
4. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
5. What does Frank give Fannie as a gift?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)