|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frank do while in town?
(a) Picks up a white woman.
(b) Picks up flowers and candies for Minnie.
(d) Gives a poetry reading.
2. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
(a) Miss Leah.
(b) Miss Baker.
(c) Miss Lewiston.
(d) Wil Parrish.
3. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
(a) They are waiting to hear from Wil Parrish.
(b) They are preparing for their ritual.
(c) They are discussing the expansion plans of Nicodemus.
(d) They are waiting for Frank to come home.
4. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(d) "Black death."
5. What place does Wil miss?
6. Why does Frank think Minnie brings no luck?
(a) She's too clumsy.
(b) She's too poor.
(c) She's too dumb.
(d) She's too black.
7. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
(a) An "animal."
(b) A "monkey."
(c) A "nigger."
(d) A "picanniny."
8. What does the reader discover about Sophie's past?
(a) She came from a well-respected and educated family.
(b) She was part of the Underground Railroad.
(c) She is a mestizo.
(d) She is a mulatto.
9. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
(a) Your tenacity to survive.
(b) Your determination to keep free.
(c) Your strength.
(d) There's nothing to hide behind between you and your soul.
10. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) An axe.
(d) A chicken.
11. Who is interested in the Bakers' land?
(a) Wil Parrish.
(b) Sophie Washington.
(c) White speculators.
(d) Frank Charles.
12. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
(a) Chopping wood.
(c) Checking on the horses.
(d) Going to town to find Frank.
13. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
(a) Minnie's stylish hat.
(b) Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie.
(c) Fannie and Wil standing next to each other.
(d) Everyone but Frank.
14. Why does Frank make Sophie nervous?
(a) Frank always carries a shotgun with him.
(b) Frank drinks too much.
(c) His city lifestyle is discomforting to her.
(d) She believes he hates colored people.
15. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
(a) Fannie often defers to what Sophie says.
(b) Fannie is described as wearing girlish clothing.
(c) Sophie uses a cane.
(d) Sophie makes better coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
2. How old is Miss Leah when she has her first child?
3. Why are Minnie and Frank visiting the U.S.?
4. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
5. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)