|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
(a) That no one can sell their land unless there is a town vote.
(b) That everyone must attend literacy courses.
(c) Those who sell their land must tell the rest of the town whom they are selling to.
(d) That everyone has the freedom to privately sell their land whenever and to whomever.
2. Frank's tone can be assumed as __________.
3. What does Minnie want to do with her hair?
(a) Cut it real short.
(b) Straighten it.
(c) Grow it long.
(d) Braid it.
4. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A picaninny.
(c) An animal.
(d) A nigger.
5. What does Minnie miss about colored people?
(a) The way they look.
(b) Their songs and stories.
(c) Their strength in surviving anything.
(d) The natural comraderie.
6. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(b) "Black death."
7. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
(a) She steps in front of Minnie to protect her.
(b) She lunges toward Frank.
(c) She punches Frank in the face.
(d) She aims a shotgun at him.
8. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
(a) She focuses on her work more than her surroundings.
(b) She is excited about the different culture.
(c) She does not care as long as she is with Frank.
(d) She is scared of the novelty.
9. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
(a) Minnie's stylish hat.
(b) Fannie and Wil standing next to each other.
(c) Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie.
(d) Everyone but Frank.
10. What is Sophie's attitude toward Frank when they first meet?
(d) Overly warm.
11. What news does Minnie yell to stop Sophie from hurting Frank?
(a) That Sophie is overreacting.
(b) That she loves Frank.
(c) That it is Minnie's fault.
(d) That Minnie is pregnant.
12. Wil is raised by whom?
(a) Freed slaves.
(b) White slaveowners.
(c) Seminole Natives.
(d) His grandparents.
13. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(b) New Orleans.
14. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
(a) He helps expand Nicodemus.
(b) He is truly good to Minnie.
(c) He pays for Minnie's share of property.
(d) He accepts prairie life as equal to city life.
15. Where did Sophie and Fannie come from before arriving in Nicodemus, Kansas?
(a) New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What troubles Frank about his racial history?
2. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
3. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
4. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
5. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)