|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
(a) Grandmother and grandchild.
(b) Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.
(d) Mother and daughter.
2. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She has no feelings toward the man.
(b) She despises him.
(c) She loves him more than anything else.
(d) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
3. What surprises Miss Leah about Minnie's life abroad?
(a) Black people get to vote.
(b) There is still slavery.
(c) The education system is not segregated between blacks and whites.
(d) There are no Jim Crow laws.
4. Why does Frank think Minnie brings no luck?
(a) She's too poor.
(b) She's too clumsy.
(c) She's too dumb.
(d) She's too black.
5. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
(a) She sends Fannie to tell him thank you.
(b) She bakes him a pie.
(c) She invites him to dinner.
(d) She sends him flowers.
6. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
(a) His easy nature.
(b) His riches.
(c) His looks and travel experience.
(d) His father's status.
7. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her eyeglasses.
(b) Her cane.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her shawl.
8. What does Frank pass as when in town?
(a) A speculator.
(b) A white man.
(c) A homesteader.
(d) A gambling hustler.
9. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
(b) A flask.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
10. Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's relationship is _________.
11. What does Fannie include in her drawings of Nicodemus?
(a) Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie.
(b) Minnie's stylish hat.
(c) Fannie and Wil standing next to each other.
(d) Everyone but Frank.
12. What does Minnie want to do with her hair?
(a) Straighten it.
(b) Braid it.
(c) Cut it real short.
(d) Grow it long.
13. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
(a) Curious about the trains engineering.
(b) Impatiently excited.
(c) Impatient to get home again.
(d) Coquettish with Wil.
14. Why are Fannie, Sophie, and Minnie staying up so late at night?
(a) They are preparing for their ritual.
(b) They are waiting for Frank to come home.
(c) They are waiting to hear from Wil Parrish.
(d) They are discussing the expansion plans of Nicodemus.
15. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
(a) She is the youngest.
(b) She is an adopted child.
(c) She is the eldest.
(d) She is the middle child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
2. What does Frank call Minnie once they are alone?
3. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
4. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
5. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)