|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
(a) She is scared of the novelty.
(b) She focuses on her work more than her surroundings.
(c) She is excited about the different culture.
(d) She does not care as long as she is with Frank.
2. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(b) "Black death."
3. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her eyeglasses.
(b) Her shawl.
(c) Her gloves.
(d) Her cane.
4. Miss Leah is _________ in regards to her old age.
(d) In denial.
5. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
(a) Unconditionally loving.
(b) Male dominant.
(c) Female dominant.
6. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
(d) Miss Leah.
7. Where among the sisters does Minnie fit?
(a) She is the youngest.
(b) She is the eldest.
(c) She is the middle child.
(d) She is an adopted child.
8. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
(a) Curious about the trains engineering.
(b) Coquettish with Wil.
(c) Impatient to get home again.
(d) Impatiently excited.
9. What news does Minnie yell to stop Sophie from hurting Frank?
(a) That Sophie is overreacting.
(b) That Minnie is pregnant.
(c) That it is Minnie's fault.
(d) That she loves Frank.
10. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
(a) A "monkey."
(b) A "picanniny."
(c) An "animal."
(d) A "nigger."
11. How does Wil show he is a good man?
(a) He helps whomever whenever he can.
(b) He is the only one to help Miss Leah walk without a cane.
(c) He stands up to Frank when he says disrespectful things to the women.
(d) He carries a shotgun and watches over the women's safety.
12. What does Frank pass as when in town?
(a) A homesteader.
(b) A white man.
(c) A gambling hustler.
(d) A speculator.
13. Who comes to help Fannie and Sophie pick up Minnie and Frank?
(a) Mr. Baker.
(b) Wil Parrish.
(c) Mr. Lewiston.
(d) Miss Leah.
14. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
15. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
(b) She has no feelings toward the man.
(c) She despises him.
(d) She loves him more than anything else.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
2. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
3. Who does Minnie want Sophie to show her work to?
4. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
5. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)