|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
(a) She is scared of the novelty.
(b) She is excited about the different culture.
(c) She does not care as long as she is with Frank.
(d) She focuses on her work more than her surroundings.
2. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(d) "Black death."
3. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
4. Frank can be considered what about prairie life?
5. Who is the only one to not say goodnight to Miss Leah?
6. What is Sophie celebrating when Miss Leah enters her home?
(a) Her Birthday.
(b) Her sister coming home.
(c) Fannie's birthday.
(d) An end to worrying.
7. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
(a) That no one can sell their land unless there is a town vote.
(b) That everyone must attend literacy courses.
(c) That everyone has the freedom to privately sell their land whenever and to whomever.
(d) Those who sell their land must tell the rest of the town whom they are selling to.
8. What does Frank do while in town?
(a) Picks up a white woman.
(b) Picks up flowers and candies for Minnie.
(d) Gives a poetry reading.
9. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
(d) Miss Leah.
10. What does the sisters' ritual celebrate?
(a) Their womanhood.
(b) The fact that they are property owners.
(c) Their freedom.
(d) Independence of men.
11. What does Miss Leah refuse to use despite her obvious need?
(a) A cane.
(c) A shawl.
12. What surprises Miss Leah about Minnie's life abroad?
(a) There are no Jim Crow laws.
(b) Black people get to vote.
(c) The education system is not segregated between blacks and whites.
(d) There is still slavery.
13. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
(a) He absolutely adores it.
(b) He likes her old hair better but figures it will still do.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He thinks it fits her well.
14. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
(a) An "animal."
(b) A "monkey."
(c) A "picanniny."
(d) A "nigger."
15. What news does Minnie yell to stop Sophie from hurting Frank?
(a) That Sophie is overreacting.
(b) That Minnie is pregnant.
(c) That it is Minnie's fault.
(d) That she loves Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
2. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
3. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
4. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
5. How does Minnie explain her injury?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)