|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fannie working on with Miss Leah and others in Nicodemus?
(a) Plans to expand Nicodemus.
(b) Opening a school.
(c) Negotiable prices for speculators.
(d) Writing a book of their stories.
2. What is Sophie trying to convince the Negroes of Nicodemus?
(a) Not to sell their land to speculators.
(b) To sell their land to speculators for a certain price.
(c) To learn how to read.
(d) To open up a school.
3. What does Minnie want to do with her hair?
(a) Straighten it.
(b) Braid it.
(c) Cut it real short.
(d) Grow it long.
4. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(b) A man.
(c) To be white.
5. What is it like for Miss Leah the first time she has sex?
(c) Scary and awful.
(d) She already feels dead inside by this time.
6. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
(a) A bruise on her arm.
(b) A bruised face.
(c) A cut on her hand.
(d) A scar.
7. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(b) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
(c) Openly and not hidden.
(d) Quietly among family only.
8. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
(a) Go to college.
(b) Have children.
(c) Care for Miss Leah.
(d) Care for the farm.
9. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
(a) He is excited to meet Minnie's family.
(b) He is nervous about Sophie and Fannie's opinion of him.
(c) He is competitive with Wil.
(d) He does not want to be there.
10. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(d) A homely dress.
11. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A chicken.
(b) An axe.
(c) A shotgun.
12. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
(a) She sends Fannie to tell him thank you.
(b) She invites him to dinner.
(c) She sends him flowers.
(d) She bakes him a pie.
13. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
(a) His riches.
(b) His looks and travel experience.
(c) His father's status.
(d) His easy nature.
14. Frank's tone can be assumed as __________.
15. Who is the last to get out of bed the day after Minnie arrives?
(c) Miss Leah.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wil Parrish can be described as _________.
2. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
3. How does Minnie first react to moving abroad?
4. What does Frank do while in town?
5. Why is it difficult for Frank to miss colored people?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)