|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Sophie get from Miss Lewiston?
(a) Miss Lewiston will not be able to lend her wagon to Sophie.
(b) Miss Lewiston will not be able to teach school in the spring.
(c) Miss Lewiston cannot come to help care for Miss Leah.
(d) Miss Baker just gave birth to a healthy child.
2. Where is Sophie when Frank first enters home from town and sees Minnie?
(a) Checking on the horses.
(c) Going to town to find Frank.
(d) Chopping wood.
3. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
(a) New Orleans.
4. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A flask.
(d) A shotgun.
5. Who does Frank stop to talk to before he greets Minnie's sisters?
(a) The ticket collector.
(b) Some white men from the train.
(c) Wil Parrish.
(d) The station manager.
6. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
(b) Grandmother and grandchild.
(c) Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.
(d) Mother and daughter.
7. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(b) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
(c) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(d) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
8. What happens when Sophie and Fannie walk in on Minnie and Frank?
(a) Frank pushes Minnie.
(b) Minnie pushes Frank.
(c) Frank slaps Minnie.
(d) Frank walks toward Minnie with a raised hand.
9. What does Wil bring when he arrives to dinner?
(a) Flowers for Fannie.
(b) Flowers for Sophie.
(c) Flowers for Minnie.
(d) Flowers for Miss Leah.
10. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(b) Quietly among family only.
(c) Openly and not hidden.
(d) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
11. What does Frank learn while he is in town?
(a) That Sophie is a big name in Nicodemus.
(b) That Minnie's property is worth a lot of money.
(c) That Minnie's property is about to be put up for auction.
(d) That most of the blacks are leaning towards selling to speculators.
12. What does Frank do while in town?
(a) Picks up a white woman.
(b) Gives a poetry reading.
(c) Picks up flowers and candies for Minnie.
13. What surprises Miss Leah about Minnie's life abroad?
(a) Black people get to vote.
(b) The education system is not segregated between blacks and whites.
(c) There is still slavery.
(d) There are no Jim Crow laws.
14. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
(b) She has no feelings toward the man.
(c) She loves him more than anything else.
(d) She despises him.
15. Who is the only one to not say goodnight to Miss Leah?
Short Answer Questions
1. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
2. Why does Frank make Sophie nervous?
3. How did Frank's father meet his mother?
4. What is Minnie doing when Act I, Scene IV ends?
5. What does Sophie think about Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)