|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A chicken.
(c) An axe.
2. Why does Frank make Sophie nervous?
(a) She believes he hates colored people.
(b) Frank drinks too much.
(c) His city lifestyle is discomforting to her.
(d) Frank always carries a shotgun with him.
3. How does Fannie prefer Minnie deal with her injury?
(a) Fannie thinks Minnie should talk about it only to Frank.
(b) Quietly among family only.
(c) Fannie prefers to not talk about it at all.
(d) Openly and not hidden.
4. Wil is raised by whom?
(a) White slaveowners.
(b) His grandparents.
(c) Seminole Natives.
(d) Freed slaves.
5. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
(a) He absolutely adores it.
(b) He likes her old hair better but figures it will still do.
(c) He thinks it fits her well.
(d) He hates it.
6. Sophie will accept Frank as long as __________.
(a) He accepts prairie life as equal to city life.
(b) He pays for Minnie's share of property.
(c) He is truly good to Minnie.
(d) He helps expand Nicodemus.
7. Why does Miss Leah stay with Sophie and Fannie rather than in her own home?
(a) Miss Leah is older and needs the younger women's help.
(b) Miss Leah is in marital trouble.
(c) Miss Leah's home is being sold.
(d) Miss Leah's home is not equipped for winter.
8. What does Wil bring when he arrives to dinner?
(a) Flowers for Sophie.
(b) Flowers for Miss Leah.
(c) Flowers for Fannie.
(d) Flowers for Minnie.
9. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
(a) His easy nature.
(b) His looks and travel experience.
(c) His father's status.
(d) His riches.
10. Out of all the sisters, what does Miss Leah count on Minnie doing?
(a) Care for the farm.
(b) Care for Miss Leah.
(c) Go to college.
(d) Have children.
11. What do white folks call Nicodemus?
(a) "Black death."
12. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
(a) Grandmother and grandchild.
(c) Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.
(d) Mother and daughter.
13. What image in the mirror occupies Minnie as she prepares to get ready for dinner?
(a) A scar.
(b) A cut on her hand.
(c) A bruise on her arm.
(d) A bruised face.
14. What is Fannie's manner at the train station?
(a) Coquettish with Wil.
(b) Impatiently excited.
(c) Impatient to get home again.
(d) Curious about the trains engineering.
15. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(c) To be white.
(d) A man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Frank walks aggressively toward Minnie what is Sophie's reaction?
2. Where does Fannie's sister Minnie currently live?
3. What surprises Miss Leah about Minnie's life abroad?
4. What is Sophie's attitude toward Frank when they first meet?
5. What does Frank mention that offends Wil?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)