|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule does Sophie want to pass in Nicodemus?
(a) That no one can sell their land unless there is a town vote.
(b) That everyone has the freedom to privately sell their land whenever and to whomever.
(c) That everyone must attend literacy courses.
(d) Those who sell their land must tell the rest of the town whom they are selling to.
2. What place does Wil miss?
3. What does Frank do with Minnie before she meets his friends?
(a) Tells her he loves her.
(b) Gives her a fashion makeover.
(c) Proposes to her.
(d) Tells her how to act.
4. Upon her entrance, it is apparent Minnie is __________.
(b) In poor condition.
5. What does Miss Leah think of James, the father of her children?
(a) She has no feelings toward the man.
(b) She despises him.
(c) She could have loved him if it was her choice.
(d) She loves him more than anything else.
6. What does Minnie wear upon arrival that indicates her lifestyle away from Kansas?
(d) A homely dress.
7. What does Frank think of Minnie's hair after Miss Leah fixes it up?
(a) He likes her old hair better but figures it will still do.
(b) He absolutely adores it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He thinks it fits her well.
8. Wil is raised by whom?
(a) Freed slaves.
(b) His grandparents.
(c) Seminole Natives.
(d) White slaveowners.
9. What about Frank is Minnie proud of?
(a) His riches.
(b) His easy nature.
(c) His looks and travel experience.
(d) His father's status.
10. Who is at home waiting to see Minnie?
(a) Miss Baker.
(b) Miss Leah.
(c) Wil Parrish.
(d) Miss Lewiston.
11. Minnie and Frank's relationship can be described as __________.
(b) Male dominant.
(c) Unconditionally loving.
(d) Female dominant.
12. How does Frank win Minnie over when they first meet?
(a) He writes a poem about her.
(b) He follows her until she agrees to go out on a date.
(c) He sings to her.
(d) He dedicates a poem to her.
13. What do the men Frank meets from the train and town call Minnie?
(a) A "monkey."
(b) An "animal."
(c) A "picanniny."
(d) A "nigger."
14. What is in Frank's hand when he finally arrives back home?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A flask.
15. According to Miss Leah, Kansas's winter teaches you what?
(a) There's nothing to hide behind between you and your soul.
(b) Your strength.
(c) Your determination to keep free.
(d) Your tenacity to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophie, Fannie, and Minnie's relationship is _________.
2. What does Sophie think about Wil's feelings toward Fannie?
3. Frank is __________ about being called a colored poet.
4. How does Sophie show her appreciation to Wil for fixing her fence?
5. What is Frank's attitude from the start?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)