1. What does Sophie carry with her on her way back from grocery shopping in town?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A shotgun.
(d) An axe.
2. What does Miss Leah refuse to use despite her obvious need?
(a) A cane.
(b) A shawl.
3. What is Sophie celebrating when Miss Leah enters her home?
(a) Her Birthday.
(b) An end to worrying.
(c) Her sister coming home.
(d) Fannie's birthday.
4. What is Miss Leah looking for but refuses to let Sophie tell her where it is?
(a) Her cane.
(b) Her gloves.
(c) Her shawl.
(d) Her eyeglasses.
5. What is the relationship between Sophie and Miss Leah?
(a) Mother and daughter.
(b) Mother-in-law and daughter-in-law.
(c) Grandmother and grandchild.
6. According to Sophie, a homesteader needs _________ to survive.
(b) A man.
(c) To be white.
7. What place does Wil miss?
8. How can the reader tell Sophie is older than Fannie?
(a) Fannie often defers to what Sophie says.
(b) Sophie uses a cane.
(c) Fannie is described as wearing girlish clothing.
(d) Sophie makes better coffee.
This section contains 5,553 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)