Act 1, Scene 1
• The setting is in Nicodemus, Kansas, an all-black community.
• Miss Leah and her daughter Sophie discuss how the black community of Nicodemus needs to stay strong and together. Another sister, Fannie, is outside with friend Wil.
• The audience learns Sophie and Fannie came from Memphis.
• Sophie and Fannie talk about Minnie, their little sister who lives in London with her husband Frank, a mulatto.
Act 1, Scene 2
• Sophie, Fannie, and Wil are at the train station waiting for Minnie and Frank to arrive.
• Minnie and Frank arrive in expensive fashionable clothing.
• Frank shows disdain for prairie life and touts city life in London.
• Frank also shows little regard for Minnie's family, holding himself to be superior.
Act 1, Scene 3
• Back at the house, Minnie and Frank are in their room where Minnie is trying to cover up a bruised face with her hat.
• When Minnie enters the main...
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)