|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the men discard?
2. What does the kitchen make?
3. About what does Hornblower feel ashamed?
4. How does Hornblower gather a crew?
5. Who will the men pose as?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between the three men changed since being on board ship?
2. What characteristics of the three men enhance their disguises?
3. What happens as the weeks pass with Bush and how does Brown help him?
4. What is Hornblower's status at the end of Chapter 17 and how does he view his possible future?
5. Why does Hornblower discard his disguise so quickly?
6. What would you say is the purpose of Chapters 11 and 12?
7. What was a major development with Hornblower's wife and how might that have changed his affair with Marie?
8. How might their escape from the French be viewed and what additional bonus did they bring with their escape?
9. What does Hornblower reflect upon about his wife?
10. What is the writing style like in Chapters 11 and 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, Brown sits down to dinner for the first time in his life at a table with china and silverware. Brown is entirely self-conscious and manages to eat dinner only with difficulty. Discuss one of the following:
1. How do the divisions of class tend to make divisions among men? What are the advantages and disadvantages of a class-based society?
2. In the English military of that era, nobles and gentlemen generally were the officers and very few of the working or peasant class could cross the line into officer territory. What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a system?
3. Do you think there is a class system in the United States? Does it carry over to the military? Why or why not? (Some research may be required.)
Essay Topic 2
Much attention is given to the treatment of battle wounds, particularly that of Bush's amputated foot. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies used in FLYING COLOURS to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss why men died so readily of wounds that would be easily treated today.
Essay Topic 3
Forester has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)