|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men have to stay inside?
2. What happens as weeks pass?
3. Why must the men exhibit extreme caution now?
4. How does Hornblower gather a crew?
5. What happens every few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might their escape from the French be viewed and what additional bonus did they bring with their escape?
2. Why was the disguise as Dutch customs officials so suitable for where the men were going?
3. What are Chapters 16 and 17 used for in this story?
4. What does Hornblower realize about his status should he be caught and how does he view himself in his present situation?
5. What is a humorous aspect of the river trip having to do with being on fresh water?
6. What would you say is the purpose of Chapters 11 and 12?
7. What does the Count suggest will be good disguises for the men and how does he help them with the disguise?
8. How might Hornblower's reaction to the events with Marie be viewed in terms of characterization?
9. What do Bush and Brown do to prepare for a spring escape and how does Hornblower feel about it?
10. What is ideal about traveling on a river for escaped prisoners and how might that change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower throughout much of novel is emotionally involved with three different women. Discuss one following:
1. Compare/contrast Hornblower's feelings about Marie versus Maria.
2. Compare/contrast Hornblower's feelings about Marie versus Lady Leighton.
3. Compare/contrast Hornblower's feelings about Maria versus Lady Leighton.
Essay Topic 2
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Horatio Hornblower takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britian, France, or Spain.
Essay Topic 3
Forester has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think this book qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)