|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to his men daily?
2. What can Hornblower see from his daily walks?
3. Where does the coach slide?
4. Why does Hornblower choose Brown instead of his actual steward to make the journey to Paris with him?
5. When they are about 178 miles from Paris, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Colonel Caillard come to Rosas prison? What is Caillard like as a man? How do you think Hornblower felt about the man?
2. How do the Spanish treat Hornblower and what can he see from where he is? What do you think it says about his character that they would do this?
3. Who does Hornblower think of when he first meets Marie and what might these thoughts foreshadow?
4. How does the Spanish surgeon feel about Bush being transported and what does he do to mitigate the possible repercussions to Bush? What does this say about the surgeon's character?
5. How do Hornblower and Brown implement an escape?
6. What does Hornblower think about when told Admiral Leighton might die? Do you think his thoughts make him less that honorable?
7. How did Hornblower end up where he is at the beginning of the novel?
8. Who is the owner of the house where the escapees knock to ask for aid? How does he treat the prisoners initially?
9. What seems to be one of Hornblowers primary emotional states? What does he think when he reviews his actions which led to his imprisonment?
10. Why might Marie be a better match in some ways for Hornblower than his wife or the Admiral's wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower , Bush and Brown lie, steal and cheat their way onto the Witch of Endor in order to effect an escape. Discuss the following:
1. There is a cliché that says "All is fair in love and war." Discuss whether you think that is true in a war situation.
2. There is a cliché that says "All is fair in love and war." Discuss whether you think that is true in a love situation. (Hint: Think about Hornblower hoping that Admiral Leighton has died.)
3. Discuss the irony of their stealing a ship when they've been condemned for piracy.
Essay Topic 2
Much attention is given to the treatment of battle wounds, particularly that of Bush's amputated foot. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the medical remedies used in FLYING COLOURS to that which would be done in our modern world.
2. Many wars are partially, if not completely, determined by factors other than the actual fighting. One of those factors is disease. Research and discuss how epidemics/pandemics have influenced the outcome of three different wars throughout history.
3. Discuss why men died so readily of wounds that would be easily treated today.
Essay Topic 3
At sea, the commander of a vessel is "God," and failure to obey the Captain's orders can subject one to court martial and even execution. Discuss the following:
1. Should Bush be held accountable for the crime of piracy when he was merely following Hornblower's orders?
2. Why do you think mutiny on a ship is punishable by death?
3. Is there ever a justifiable reason for a crew to mutiny?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)