|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What intrigues Hornblower as he observes the activities of the harbor?
(a) That the French have only one frigate in the harbor.
(b) The fact that there are a dozen or more American vessels.
(c) That there are ten captured English vessels in the harbor.
(d) The local blockade effort.
2. Why would Hornblower be shot immediately if caught?
(a) So he could not ridicule the French government for making an inaccurate announcement.
(b) The French government would not admit to making a mistake.
(c) So he couldn't escape again.
(d) He would be considered a spy.
3. What is the nickname of the commander of the fleet?
(a) Jimmy the Hand.
(b) Jimmy the Pirate.
(c) Dismal Jimmy.
(d) Sad Face.
4. For how long has Hornblower been without sleep?
(a) 72 hours.
(b) Almost a week
(c) 40 hours.
(d) 24 hours.
5. What happens as weeks pass?
(a) Brown learns to speak fluent French.
(b) Bush fully recovers.
(c) Hornblower receives a letter from his wife.
(d) Bush is still very weak and bedridden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men carefully observe?
2. What's the biggest problem of escaping once a vessel is secured?
3. What do the three men come to realize?
4. What does Hornblower learn about Admiral Leighton?
5. About what does Hornblower continue to worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the weeks pass with Bush and how does Brown help him?
2. How has the relationship between the three men changed since being on board ship?
3. Why was the disguise as Dutch customs officials so suitable for where the men were going?
4. What does the Count suggest will be good disguises for the men and how does he help them with the disguise?
5. How might Hornblower's reaction to the events with Marie be viewed in terms of characterization?
6. What is a humorous aspect of the river trip having to do with being on fresh water?
7. What was a major development with Hornblower's wife and how might that have changed his affair with Marie?
8. What does Hornblower realize about his status should he be caught and how does he view himself in his present situation?
9. What does Brown do that demonstrates his change in attitude towards Hornblower and how does Hornblower feel about it?
10. What would you say is the purpose of Chapters 11 and 12?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)