|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long has Hornblower been without sleep?
(a) Almost a week
(b) 40 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 72 hours.
2. Why do the men have to stay inside?
(a) They are not used to the bitter French winters.
(b) So their presence goes entirely undetected.
(c) They go outside when it becomes Spring.
(d) The weather is so bad most of the time.
3. Why must the men exhibit extreme caution now?
(a) Napoleon's agents routinely patrol this area.
(b) There are posters of them hung on the town's boards.
(c) They are free of France and do not need to be cautious any more.
(d) There is a battle going on nearby.
4. Who is in charge of the fleet the Triumph and Hornblower's ship rejoins?
(a) Admiral Leighton.
(b) Admiral Lord Nelson.
(c) Admiral Lord Gambier.
(d) Sir Thomas Drake.
5. What do the three men come to realize?
(a) They are close friends.
(b) They have been gone from England for almost a year.
(c) They will probably escape.
(d) They all found Marie attractive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does he notice laboring at the docks?
2. What does Hornblower do as they are in the boat?
3. What happens to the vessel Hornblower stole?
4. What are Gien, Sully, Château-Neuf-sur-Loire, Jargeau, Orleans, and Beaugency?
5. What is the nickname of the commander of the fleet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower and Bush do with Marie and the Count to help pass the time? How does Bush do with it?
2. Why does Hornblower discard his disguise so quickly?
3. What is Hornblower's status at the end of Chapter 17 and how does he view his possible future?
4. What does the Count suggest will be good disguises for the men and how does he help them with the disguise?
5. What are Chapters 16 and 17 used for in this story?
6. What happens to Bush upon their return to England and what does Hornblower still fret about?
7. Why was the disguise as Dutch customs officials so suitable for where the men were going?
8. What characteristics of the three men enhance their disguises?
9. What was a major development with Hornblower's wife and how might that have changed his affair with Marie?
10. How are the French responding to the missing men and what finally happens that gives them some hope?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)