|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower do as they are in the boat?
(a) Learns wood carving from Brown.
(b) Teaches Bush more seamanship skills.
(c) Muses about his future.
(d) Composes poetry to Marie.
2. What effect does the lack of sleep have on Hornblower?
(a) He almost orders the vessel to head in the wrong direction.
(b) He almost loses control of the men.
(c) He sees confused images in a dreamlike state.
(d) He gets seasick.
3. What's the biggest problem of escaping once a vessel is secured?
(a) Sneaking past the local militia.
(b) Avoiding the cannons at the fort.
(c) Piloting through the difficult estuarial waters.
(d) Not being fired upon by British ships.
4. Why must they find another boat?
(a) Theirs is too noticeable.
(b) They want to send it back to its owner.
(c) Theirs is unsuitable for the high seas.
(d) Their sank when they hit a sandbar.
5. Why does Bush fret about the loss of his foot?
(a) It will reduce his chances at a good marriage.
(b) It is still not healing well.
(c) It itches him though it's not there.
(d) It will make promotion, or even active-duty service, unlikely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the fleet commander inform Hornblower?
2. What does Hornblower learn about Admiral Leighton?
3. What does Hornblower learn in a letter from Barbara?
4. What do the newspapers announce finally?
5. What does Hornblower notice about Brown as they are leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the disguise as Dutch customs officials so suitable for where the men were going?
2. What characteristics of the three men enhance their disguises?
3. What would you say is the purpose of Chapters 11 and 12?
4. What does Hornblower realize about his status should he be caught and how does he view himself in his present situation?
5. What does Hornblower reflect upon about his wife?
6. What does Hornblower and Bush do with Marie and the Count to help pass the time? How does Bush do with it?
7. What happens as the weeks pass with Bush and how does Brown help him?
8. What happens to Bush upon their return to England and what does Hornblower still fret about?
9. What do Bush and Brown do to prepare for a spring escape and how does Hornblower feel about it?
10. What are Chapters 16 and 17 used for in this story?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)