|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What alarms Hornblower about the travel?
(a) The way the French soldiers stay so close to the carriage.
(b) The fact that the people are so hostile to the Englishmen.
(c) The speed at which they are traveling.
(d) The bumps that cause Bush terrible agony.
2. What is the name of the ship Hornblower loses?
3. What is Marie's background?
(a) French middle class.
(b) Italian peasant.
(c) English farmer.
(d) French peasant.
4. What is the year?
5. Where are Hornblower and the other two taken?
(a) To the library.
(b) To the kitchen.
(c) To the parlour.
(d) To the barn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Count live in London?
2. Where is Captain Horatio Hornblower languishing?
3. What does Hornblower announce as he knocks on the door?
4. When they are about 178 miles from Paris, what happens?
5. What is frightening that the men encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hornblower and Brown implement an escape?
2. What does Hornblower do after the men are dried and clothed and Bush is put to bed? What does the Count tell Hornblower?
3. How does Hornblower feel when preparing for bed with the other prisoners? How does he feel about his pending execution? Do you think he is a coward that he worries about his possible reaction at the time of the execution?
4. How do the Spanish treat Hornblower and what can he see from where he is? What do you think it says about his character that they would do this?
5. How does Hornblower's opinion of Marie's appearance change as he stays in the house? What might this say about appearances in general?
6. How did Hornblower end up where he is at the beginning of the novel?
7. What does the French innkeeper do for the English prisoners before they leave? What thoughts does Hornblower mull as they travel in the coach?
8. How does Hornblower appeal to Caillard's humanity and what is Caillard's response?
9. What are mostly in Hornblower's thoughts as he waits his future?
10. Why might Marie be a better match in some ways for Hornblower than his wife or the Admiral's wife?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)