|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Hornblower fret when in Rosas?
(a) Whether the Dutch will join with Napoleon.
(b) If the Spanish will decide to float an Armada.
(c) Why he has not yet been rescued.
(d) The fate of his wife Maria.
2. Who does the Count introduce?
(a) His daughter-in-law.
(b) His sister.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His mother.
3. With what does Hornblower struggle?
(a) Nothing at the moment.
(b) His sense of honor in staying there.
(c) His fear of discovery.
(d) His inadequate French.
4. What is the year?
5. What happens when Hornblower withdraws the final ligature from Bush's stump?
(a) Bush faints.
(b) The wound bleeds and oozes pus.
(c) The wound immediately appears better.
(d) Brown faints while watching.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends to Bush's stump?
2. What is disgraceful about the French behavior after the English strike their colors?
3. About how far is it to Paris from Rosas?
4. Where does the coach slide?
5. What can Hornblower see from his daily walks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are mostly in Hornblower's thoughts as he waits his future?
2. How do Hornblower and Brown implement an escape?
3. Where and when is Hornblower when the book opens?
4. What does Hornblower awaken to a few days after his capture? How does he respond? What does he see? What do you think he might have felt when he first saw the fight?
5. How does Hornblower's opinion of Marie's appearance change as he stays in the house? What might this say about appearances in general?
6. How does Hornblower appeal to Caillard's humanity and what is Caillard's response?
7. How do the Spanish treat Hornblower and what can he see from where he is? What do you think it says about his character that they would do this?
8. What does the French innkeeper do for the English prisoners before they leave? What thoughts does Hornblower mull as they travel in the coach?
9. Why does Colonel Caillard come to Rosas prison? What is Caillard like as a man? How do you think Hornblower felt about the man?
10. What does Hornblower say is the reason Bush should not be executed and what is Caillard's response? What does the response say to you about his character?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)