|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the year?
2. What is Marie's background?
(a) English farmer.
(b) French middle class.
(c) Italian peasant.
(d) French peasant.
3. What happens to his men daily?
(a) They are flogged and tortured.
(b) They are forced into extremely crowded cells.
(c) They are put on exhibit for the scorn and ridicule of the local populace.
(d) They continue to die of their wounds.
4. How does Caillard respond?
(a) He says he will give Bush one week to get better before they move on.
(b) He orders Bush readied for travel.
(c) He orders Bush executed immediately.
(d) He gives Bush 24 hours.
5. How is Bush in the morning?
(a) Much better.
(c) His stump is completely healed over.
(d) He is near death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brown stay when Bush is sent off to bed?
2. What does Hornblower notice about Marie?
3. At what does Hornblower marvel?
4. What is the atmosphere in France because of Napoleon's reign?
5. How many French ships do the English manage to destroy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower think about when told Admiral Leighton might die? Do you think his thoughts make him less that honorable?
2. How does the Spanish warden help Hornblower? Why do you think he would do that? Do you think that makes him a traitor to his country?
3. What seems to be one of Hornblowers primary emotional states? What does he think when he reviews his actions which led to his imprisonment?
4. What happens that slows down the travel?
5. How do Hornblower and Brown implement an escape?
6. Why does Colonel Caillard come to Rosas prison? What is Caillard like as a man? How do you think Hornblower felt about the man?
7. In what kind of physical shape is Bush?
8. How did Hornblower end up where he is at the beginning of the novel?
9. How do the Spanish treat Hornblower and what can he see from where he is? What do you think it says about his character that they would do this?
10. Who does Hornblower think of when he first meets Marie and what might these thoughts foreshadow?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)