|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Hornblower and the other two taken?
(a) To the kitchen.
(b) To the parlour.
(c) To the library.
(d) To the barn.
2. What does Hornblower observe about Marie's build?
(a) She is slender like a young woman.
(b) She is stout.
(c) She has a very fetching figure.
(d) She is quite heavy.
3. What is the year?
4. What does Hornblower notice about Marie?
(a) She speaks better Italian than English.
(b) She is not quite 20.
(c) Her dark eyes, auburn hair and simple beauty.
(d) She speaks French with an accent.
5. How does Caillard respond?
(a) He orders Bush executed immediately.
(b) He says he will give Bush one week to get better before they move on.
(c) He orders Bush readied for travel.
(d) He gives Bush 24 hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brown feel at dinner?
2. How is Admiral Leighton's victory made possible?
3. When they are about 178 miles from Paris, what happens?
4. Who hopes to face death with "colours flying"?
5. Of what is Hornblower convicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower appeal to Caillard's humanity and what is Caillard's response?
2. What is Hornblower told will be done with him? How would you feel if you were him?
3. What does Hornblower awaken to a few days after his capture? How does he respond? What does he see? What do you think he might have felt when he first saw the fight?
4. What happens in the first few hours after their escape? Why is the river being swift to their advantage?
5. How does Hornblower decide who will travel to Paris with him? Do you think it was a good choice?
6. Who is the owner of the house where the escapees knock to ask for aid? How does he treat the prisoners initially?
7. How did Hornblower end up where he is at the beginning of the novel?
8. How does the Spanish surgeon feel about Bush being transported and what does he do to mitigate the possible repercussions to Bush? What does this say about the surgeon's character?
9. In what shape is Bush at the beginning of Chapter 5? What does the doctor tell Caillard? What does Hornblower say?
10. In what kind of physical shape is Bush?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)