|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who builds a boat?
(a) Bush and Brown.
(b) Felix and his son-in-law.
(c) Bertrand and his sons.
(d) Hornblower and Brown.
2. What does Hornblower notice about Brown as they are leaving?
(a) He has a wedding ring on his finger.
(b) Nothing in particular.
(c) His French is quite good.
(d) He seems to have had a romantic relationship with at least two women.
3. Where is Hornblower often gazing?
(a) At Bertrand's daughter.
(b) At Marie.
(c) At Felix's daughter.
(d) At the distant town of Nevers and the River.
4. For how long has Hornblower been without sleep?
(a) Almost a week
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 72 hours.
(d) 40 hours.
5. Why does Bush fret about the loss of his foot?
(a) It will make promotion, or even active-duty service, unlikely.
(b) It itches him though it's not there.
(c) It will reduce his chances at a good marriage.
(d) It is still not healing well.
6. What is the fleet commander's response to Hornblower's account?
(a) He states that Hornblower was promoted in absentia.
(b) He states that Hornblower has enjoyed the protection and guidance of divine providence.
(c) He does not offer an opinion.
(d) He states that Hornblower is considered a traitor.
7. What delights Hornblower?
(a) That Bush is not interested in Marie.
(b) That Brown has become involved with a woman.
(c) That Marie seems to find him attractive.
(d) That the Count likes to play whist.
8. Who will the men pose as?
(a) English captives.
(b) French soldiers.
(c) Italian nobles.
(d) Dutch soldiers.
9. What happens to the vessel Hornblower stole?
(a) It is purchased into service.
(b) It is converted to a merchant vessel.
(c) It is sold for private use.
(d) It is converted to a transport vessel.
10. What does Hornblower observe in the towns through which they pass?
(a) The number of soldiers.
(b) The evidence of war.
(c) The women.
(d) The architecture.
11. Why must they find another boat?
(a) They want to send it back to its owner.
(b) Theirs is unsuitable for the high seas.
(c) Their sank when they hit a sandbar.
(d) Theirs is too noticeable.
12. Who visits Hornblower back at his residence in England?
(a) Admiral Leighton.
(d) The French Count.
13. What do the men find awkward?
(a) To resume a life of naval discipline together.
(b) The size of the boat.
(c) The need to pretend to be peasants.
(d) To attend to their daily abulations.
14. How many men were wounded?
15. What are Gien, Sully, Château-Neuf-sur-Loire, Jargeau, Orleans, and Beaugency?
(a) The capitols of each French province through which they pass.
(b) Towns through which the men pass.
(c) Names of some of the best French generals.
(d) Towns which have been totally destroyed by the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intrigues Hornblower as he observes the activities of the harbor?
2. What effect does the lack of sleep have on Hornblower?
3. After passing through Blois, Chaumont, Amboise, Tour, and Langeais, what does Brown announce?
4. Why would Hornblower be shot immediately if caught?
5. What does Hornblower learn in a letter from Barbara?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)