|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives chase to Hornblower's vessel?
(a) Three boats full of heavily-armed men.
(b) No one.
(c) A French frigate.
(d) An American frigate.
2. What happens as weeks pass?
(a) Brown learns to speak fluent French.
(b) Bush fully recovers.
(c) Bush is still very weak and bedridden.
(d) Hornblower receives a letter from his wife.
3. For how long has Hornblower been without sleep?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) Almost a week
(c) 40 hours.
(d) 72 hours.
4. What news does Hornblower receive?
(a) That he is the proud father of twins.
(b) That his wife thought him dead and remarries.
(c) That his wife dies in childbirth.
(d) That his son is born and well.
5. What does Brown make for Bush?
(a) A new sword.
(b) A wheelchair.
(c) A set of crutches.
(d) Various peg legs.
6. What do the newspapers that Bush shows Hornblower extol?
(a) The victory of Nelson's fleet at Trafalgar.
(b) Hornblower's virtues and amazement at his exploits.
(c) The new steam engines.
(d) The end of the war with Napoleon.
7. What must the men discard?
(a) Their weapons.
(b) Their boat.
(c) Their supplies.
(d) Their disguise as fishermen.
8. What do the men carefully observe?
(a) The way the foliage along the banks change.
(b) The angle of the sun.
(c) The river's flow.
(d) The directions the fish swim.
9. What does Hornblower learn in a letter from Barbara?
(a) That Marie died quickly and peacefully.
(b) That she adopted his son.
(c) That she left her husband.
(d) That she is nursing her husband back to health.
10. Who weeps when Brown says goodbye?
(a) Bertrand's oldest daughter.
(b) All the serving women.
(c) A farm girl in the next village.
(d) Felix's daughter.
11. What happens to the searches?
(a) They continue at sporadic times.
(b) They are discontinued.
(c) They are still occuring almost daily.
(d) They are intensified now thinking the men will relax their guard.
12. What vessel do the men spot?
(a) The Nelson.
(b) The Leopard.
(c) The Triumph.
(d) The Java.
13. What's the biggest problem of escaping once a vessel is secured?
(a) Piloting through the difficult estuarial waters.
(b) Sneaking past the local militia.
(c) Not being fired upon by British ships.
(d) Avoiding the cannons at the fort.
14. How does the fleet commander receive Hornblower?
(a) With coolness.
(b) He is unable to meet with Hornblower for a few days.
(c) With surprise.
(d) With indignation.
15. Where is the vessel Hornblower captured going?
(a) Back to help blockade the port from which it is stolen.
(b) To drydock in Holland.
(c) No where; it will join this fleet.
(d) To England with dispatches.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Hornblower receive from the sale of the vessel he captures?
2. Who visits Hornblower back at his residence in England?
3. Why do the men have to man the sweeps?
4. Of what does the fleet commander inform Hornblower?
5. Why does Bush fret about the loss of his foot?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)