|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brown feel at dinner?
2. What is the year?
3. Why should Hornblower not worry about losing his ship?
(a) He has recovered many French ships for the British.
(b) He was ordered into battle under terrible odds.
(c) He has enough money to replace it.
(d) He is considered a hero and no one minds the loss of one ship.
4. What is the condition of Hornblower's sword when it is returned?
(b) Polished and sharpened.
(c) Broken in two.
(d) Hilt-less tang and the blade's gilding scraped off.
5. What is Brown doing for the first time in his life?
(a) Tending to Bush's wound.
(b) Speaking on equal terms with Hornblower.
(c) Eating at a table with china and silverware.
(d) Traveling outside of England.
6. Why is Bush at a critical stage of his recovery?
(a) The ligatures of arteries still extend beyond the wound and the stump has yet to heal over.
(b) He has not been wounded very long.
(c) He is psychologically hoping for death.
(d) His stump is still bleeding.
7. What comes easy to Brown?
(a) Mastering almost any skill.
(c) Letting go of worry.
8. Who hopes to face death with "colours flying"?
(a) Hornblower's crew.
9. In what way does Hornblower answer the Count?
(b) The Count does not question Hornblower that evening.
10. Where does the coach slide?
(a) Into a huge tree.
(b) Off the elevated roadway and almost into the river.
(c) Into a mud bog.
(d) Into Napoleon's carriage.
11. When they are about 178 miles from Paris, what happens?
(a) Hornblower receives a secret message.
(b) A winter storm sets in.
(c) Brown falls off the roof of the carriage and breaks his leg.
(d) Caillard is shot by a sniper.
12. How does Caillard respond?
(a) He orders Bush readied for travel.
(b) He says he will give Bush one week to get better before they move on.
(c) He orders Bush executed immediately.
(d) He gives Bush 24 hours.
13. How is Bush in the morning?
(b) His stump is completely healed over.
(c) Much better.
(d) He is near death.
14. How does Hornblower try to save Bush from execution?
(a) By giving the interviewer false information.
(b) Says Bush was under orders.
(c) By writing Napoleon.
(d) By bribing the guards to get him away.
15. How old is Brown?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are they taken there?
2. With what does Hornblower struggle?
3. What do the men encounter downriver?
4. What does Hornblower learn about Leighton?
5. Why does the Count live in London?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)