|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hornblower self-conscious?
(a) Preparing for bed in the presence of other men.
(b) The deep wound and scarring from a sword cut in the last battle.
(c) His men's deference.
(d) The burn on his face.
2. How is Admiral Leighton's victory made possible?
(a) The French crews were on shore.
(b) The French had pulled most of their fleet away to another port.
(c) There was help from the locals.
(d) Because of Hornblower's efforts a few days earlier.
3. What does the Spanish warden demand?
(a) That Hornblower be allowed an appeal trial in Rosas.
(b) That Hornblower, as a gentleman, be allowed a personal attendant on the voyage.
(c) That Hornblower and Bush not be transported until after Christmas.
(d) That Hornblower be executed in Rosas.
4. How many years has Brown been in the English navy?
5. When does the Count think it will be safe to escape?
(a) In a few weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Within a few days when the hunt is abandoned.
6. Why are they taken there?
(a) To meet the rest of the familyl.
(b) It is the warmest room in the house.
(c) To read up on the news.
(d) That is the only place the Comte will let them stay.
7. How long does Hornblower figure the voyage will take?
(a) A month and a half.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) 5-12 days.
(d) 3 days.
8. What is Brown doing for the first time in his life?
(a) Traveling outside of England.
(b) Speaking on equal terms with Hornblower.
(c) Eating at a table with china and silverware.
(d) Tending to Bush's wound.
9. What is Marie's background?
(a) French middle class.
(b) English farmer.
(c) French peasant.
(d) Italian peasant.
10. Why is Hornblower thrown into the water?
(a) Brown accidentally knocks him in with an oar.
(b) He intentionally gets in the water.
(c) The boat hits a tree limb.
(d) The boat capsizes.
11. What happens to Hornblower's ship?
(b) It is towed by the English out to sea.
(c) It is torched by the English.
(d) It is torched by the French.
12. How old is Brown?
13. What can Hornblower see from his daily walks?
(a) The ruined and dismasted wreck of his ship.
(b) His men being put to work as laborers.
(c) England across the sound.
(d) The execution of some spies.
14. Who hopes to face death with "colours flying"?
(c) Hornblower's crew.
15. What does Hornblower notice about Marie?
(a) She is not quite 20.
(b) Her dark eyes, auburn hair and simple beauty.
(c) She speaks better Italian than English.
(d) She speaks French with an accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bush at a critical stage of his recovery?
2. What is the casualty count for Hornblower's crew?
3. What is the condition of Hornblower's sword when it is returned?
4. How is Bush in the morning?
5. What does Hornblower observe about Marie's build?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)