|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is commanding the English fleet that is attacking in the harbor?
(a) Captain Aubrey.
(b) Admiral Nelson.
(c) Admiral Leighton.
(d) Captain Stone.
2. Why should Hornblower not worry about losing his ship?
(a) He is considered a hero and no one minds the loss of one ship.
(b) He was ordered into battle under terrible odds.
(c) He has enough money to replace it.
(d) He has recovered many French ships for the British.
3. What stands in the way of Hornblower marrying the love of his life?
(b) His honor.
(c) His possible execution and he is already married.
(d) His desire to be retired first.
4. About what does Hornblower fret when in Rosas?
(a) Why he has not yet been rescued.
(b) If the Spanish will decide to float an Armada.
(c) The fate of his wife Maria.
(d) Whether the Dutch will join with Napoleon.
5. Who attends to Bush's stump?
(c) A local physician.
6. Who is Lady Barbara Leighton?
(a) His wife's mother.
(b) The wife of his admiral and the love of his life.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife's sister.
7. At what does Hornblower marvel?
(a) At how bitter and hostile Caillard is.
(b) The way Brown handles all the tasks necessary to the comfort of Hornblower and Bush.
(c) Bush's incredible constitution.
(d) The beauty of the countryside while Hornblower travels towards his death.
8. What is the condition of Hornblower's sword when it is returned?
(b) Broken in two.
(c) Polished and sharpened.
(d) Hilt-less tang and the blade's gilding scraped off.
9. Who shares the interviewer's lack of concern for the welfare of those under his supervision?
10. About what does Hornblower think all night?
(a) His son.
11. What does Hornblower see that motivates him to form an escape plan?
(a) An English ship off the coast.
(c) A rowboat.
(d) Two English spies following the coach.
12. What does the doctor tell Caillard?
(a) They should just leave Bush there as he is about to die anyway.
(b) Bush's recovery is at a critical stage.
(c) Bush can travel in a day.
(d) Bush can travel immediately.
13. Who does the Count introduce?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His daughter-in-law.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
14. About how far is it to Paris from Rosas?
15. What do the men encounter downriver?
(a) One of the English spies that is following them.
(b) A patrol of ten mercenaries.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A patrol of ten French soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the casualty count for Hornblower's crew?
2. How many French ships do the English manage to destroy?
3. What is Brown doing for the first time in his life?
4. How long does Hornblower figure the voyage will take?
5. Why is Bush at a critical stage of his recovery?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)