|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Elizabeth Barrett Browning die?
2. What was the name of the dog thief who stole Flush and held him for ransom?
3. Where did Miss Barrett take Flush after leaving London in Chapter 5: "Italy"?
4. In the summer, what was Flush beset by that made him edgy and despondent?
5. Who sent word that in his opinion it would be "an awful sin" to pay the ransom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Flush react when Miss Barrett went into the fountain in Chapter Five?
2. Where did Flush spend most of his time in Chapter Six? What awoke Flush suddenly from a dream in this chapter?
3. What did Miss Barrett discover about the ransom in Chapter Four? What did she threaten to do?
4. Where did Flush go when he couldn't take Mrs. Barrett's strange behavior anymore? What did he do?
5. What was the explanation for the commotion that awoke Flush in Chapter Six?
6. What romantic freedoms did Flush begin to enjoy in Chapter Five? How did the Brownings react?
7. What did Flush come to realize about the dogs of Italy?
8. What changes did Miss Barrett undergo in Italy?
9. Where was Flush taken in Chapter Four? How were his surroundings described?
10. Describe Flush's return to Miss Barrett. What did he do upon entering her room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the misunderstandings between Miss Barrett and Flush in the narrative. Also discuss Flush's envy of Miss Barrett in Chapter 2: "The Back Bedroom." What did Flush make of Miss Barrett's writing and music? What might Flush had done if he had been able to communicate with Miss Barrett?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the poet and author Robert Browning. When and where was Browning born? What was his upbringing like? What literary success did Browning have at the point in history when he met Elizabeth Barrett? How did Miss Barrett's family regard Mr. Browning?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the return of Flush to Miss Barrett in Chapter 4: "Whitechapel." How had each of them changed during their separation? What did Flush note Miss Barrett slipping into her drawer? What does this symbolize?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)