|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederick Tennyson was the eldest son of whom?
2. Where did Miss Barrett tell the cab driver to take her and Miss Wilson?
3. Who suggested to Sir Edward Lytton that a committee should be appointed by the government to get the facts?
4. Who traveled on the train with Elizabeth and Flush in Chapter 5: "Italy"?
5. What did Mrs. Browning say Flush went out and did the with other dogs every day in Pisa in Chapter 5: "Italy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the emotional states of Miss Barrett and Flush after several days had passed with Flush in captivity?
2. What did Flush do after being awoken suddenly in Chapter Six?
3. What changes did Miss Barrett undergo in Italy?
4. How does the author describe the supernatural element of tables in Chapter Six?
5. What did Flush come to realize about the dogs of Italy?
6. What did Flush discover about freedom upon moving to Florence?
7. What was Flush's reaction when he was introduced to the Brownings' new baby in Chapter Five?
8. What did Miss Barrett have to do in order to get Flush back in Chapter Four? What would happen if she refused?
9. How did Mrs. Browning begin to transform in Chapter Six?
10. Where did Flush spend most of his time in Chapter Six? What awoke Flush suddenly from a dream in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Mr. Taylor in the narrative. Is Mr. Taylor based upon a real individual? How much money did Mr. Taylor make from stolen dogs? What obstacles did Miss Barrett face in obtaining Flush? What prevented Miss Barrett from confronting Flush's kidnapper herself?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the poet and author Robert Browning. When and where was Browning born? What was his upbringing like? What literary success did Browning have at the point in history when he met Elizabeth Barrett? How did Miss Barrett's family regard Mr. Browning?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the return of Flush to Miss Barrett in Chapter 4: "Whitechapel." How had each of them changed during their separation? What did Flush note Miss Barrett slipping into her drawer? What does this symbolize?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)