|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5: "Italy" begins in the middle of what month?
2. When Mr. Browning sheared Flush, what did the dog look like?
3. What was Robert Wiedeman Barrett Browning known as?
4. What kind of dog who had been whining all night beside Flush on the floor was hauled off by a ruffian in a moleskin vest?
5. In the spring of 1847 the Brownings and Flush moved where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Flush go when he couldn't take Mrs. Barrett's strange behavior anymore? What did he do?
2. When Mrs. Browning went into labor, how was the atmosphere of the house perceived by Flush?
3. What did Miss Barrett have to do in order to get Flush back in Chapter Four? What would happen if she refused?
4. Where did Flush spend most of his time in Chapter Six? What awoke Flush suddenly from a dream in this chapter?
5. Describe Flush's death. What was Mrs. Browning doing when Flush passed away?
6. Where did Miss Barrett go to by cab in Chapter Four? Whom did she see there?
7. What was Flush's reaction when he was introduced to the Brownings' new baby in Chapter Five?
8. Who entered and exited the room where Flush was contained?
9. What did Miss Barrett tell Mr. Browning about Flush's kidnapping?
10. How did Flush react when Miss Barrett went into the fountain in Chapter Five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Miss Barrett in the beginning of the book. What illness did Miss Barrett suffer from? What medications did she take? How did the illness affect Miss Barrett's emotional state? How did Flush feel about Miss Barrett's disabilities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the misunderstandings between Miss Barrett and Flush in the narrative. Also discuss Flush's envy of Miss Barrett in Chapter 2: "The Back Bedroom." What did Flush make of Miss Barrett's writing and music? What might Flush had done if he had been able to communicate with Miss Barrett?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Edward Barrett. Why was Mr. Barrett so controlling over his children? What was the heritage and ancestry of the Barrett family? How many children did Mr. Barrett have? How did he relate to his children as they became adults?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)