|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Flush go after leaving the house when Mrs. Browning was lost in writing and the supernatural?
2. The author writes in Chapter 5: "Italy," "There was an element, it must be admitted, of the" what in Flush?
3. Frederick Tennyson was the eldest son of whom?
4. What was the name of the house where the Brownings lived in Florence?
5. Who did Elizabeth Barrett Browning discover had died when she returned to Rome in 1860?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Flush feel about the journey to Italy in Chapter Five?
2. What did Miss Barrett have to do in order to get Flush back in Chapter Four? What would happen if she refused?
3. How did Flush react when Miss Barrett went into the fountain in Chapter Five?
4. What did Miss Barrett discover about the ransom in Chapter Four? What did she threaten to do?
5. Where did Flush spend most of his time in Chapter Six? What awoke Flush suddenly from a dream in this chapter?
6. Describe Flush's death. What was Mrs. Browning doing when Flush passed away?
7. How are Mr. Thomas Beames's impressions of Whitecastle described in Chapter Four?
8. What was the explanation for the commotion that awoke Flush in Chapter Six?
9. What were Flush's first impressions of Italy on his walk with Wilson?
10. Where did Flush go when he couldn't take Mrs. Barrett's strange behavior anymore? What did he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the poet and author Robert Browning. When and where was Browning born? What was his upbringing like? What literary success did Browning have at the point in history when he met Elizabeth Barrett? How did Miss Barrett's family regard Mr. Browning?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the theme of sacrifice in the narrative. How does Flush exhibit sacrifice in Chapter 2: "The Back Bedroom"? What does Miss Barrett sacrifice for her health? What does she sacrifice for Mr. Barrett? What sacrifices does Flush make and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Edward Barrett. Why was Mr. Barrett so controlling over his children? What was the heritage and ancestry of the Barrett family? How many children did Mr. Barrett have? How did he relate to his children as they became adults?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)