|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Elizabeth Barrett begin to battle a lifelong illness?
2. By what nickname was Elizabeth Barrett known to her family?
3. The carriage that took Miss Barrett and Flush into town drove along what street in Chapter 2: "The Back Bedroom"?
4. When did Elizabeth Barrett die?
5. As a puppy, Flush lived on a farm named ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Flush when Miss Barrett received her first letter from Mr. Browning? What happened as the time passed?
2. What was Flush's life like on the farm in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
3. How does the author describe Mr. Barrett's first visit?
4. What was Flush's first experience like at the Barrett home in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
5. How did Miss Barrett react after Mr. Browning left from his first visit?
6. How was the park described in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? What did Flush conclude about the park?
7. What impressed Flush the most about the Barrett home in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
8. What did Flush feel about Miss Barrett's lack of sympathy when he crushed his paw?
9. How did the Spaniel breed evolve in England, as described in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"? What characteristics do Spaniels share?
10. How did Flush go about determining his worthiness? How was his action misinterpreted by Miss Barrett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Mr. Taylor in the narrative. Is Mr. Taylor based upon a real individual? How much money did Mr. Taylor make from stolen dogs? What obstacles did Miss Barrett face in obtaining Flush? What prevented Miss Barrett from confronting Flush's kidnapper herself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the element of nature versus nurture in the narrative. In what ways were the transformations of Flush a result of his surroundings and upbringing? How does this apply to the people in the narrative? How does it apply to Miss Barrett in particular?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Mr. Browning. Where did Mr. Browning grow up? What was his family and ancestry like? How did Mr. Browning relate to Miss Barrett? How did they meet? Why did Mr. Browning elope with Miss Barrett, rather than having a ceremonial wedding?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)