|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After punishing Flush, what did Miss Barrett do that Fluff considered "of calculated and deliberate malice"?
2. What made the biggest impression on Flush when he was taken to Elizabeth Barrett's home in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
3. Of what did Flush ask, "Were these not the signals of freedom?"
4. What did Miss Barrett tell Flush after Mr. Browning left on the day that Flush first bit him?
5. After Flush was bitten by the Cuban Bloodhound, Miss Barrett remarked that Flush was no __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What story relating the origins of the word "Spaniel" discusses the Basque people?
2. How does the author describe Mr. Barrett's first visit?
3. How does the author describe Flush's second outing in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? Where did he go?
4. How does the author describe the bond between Flush and Miss Barrett?
5. Describe Flush's second attack on Mr. Browning.
6. How does the author describe the changes in Miss Barrett in Chapter Three: "The Hooded Man"?
7. What did Flush feel about Miss Barrett's lack of sympathy when he crushed his paw?
8. How did Flush's sensitivity serve him at the Barrett home?
9. Where did Flush spend his first bedroom at the Barrett home in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? What was his first outing in London?
10. What are examples of Flush's high-strung demeanor after living in the Barrett home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Miss Barrett's first disagreement with Mr. Browning in the narrative regarding Flush's kidnapping and ransom. How did Miss Barrett feel about Mr. Browning's advice? Why did she choose not to take it? What repercussions did she fear in doing so?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the narrative. Why did Flush feel jealous of Mr. Browning? How did he exhibit these feelings? What led Flush to overcome his jealousy? How did Flush show his jealousy at the birth of the Brownings' son? What led him to overcome these feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the poet and author Robert Browning. When and where was Browning born? What was his upbringing like? What literary success did Browning have at the point in history when he met Elizabeth Barrett? How did Miss Barrett's family regard Mr. Browning?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)