|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some insisted that the breed of dog be called Spaniel because it was ____________.
2. What refers to a twill fabric constructed of a silk or rayon warp and worsted filling, often dyed black for mourning wear?
3. What was the date when Flush first decided to oust Mr. Browning by biting him on the leg?
4. When was Elizabeth Barrett born?
5. As time went by, Flush was said to have come to prefer the silence of _________to the robustness of a dog.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Flush learn about the classes of dogs from overhearing Londoners in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"?
2. How did Miss Barrett begin to transform as Mr. Browning continued his visits? How did Flush feel about the change?
3. How does the author describe the bond between Flush and Miss Barrett?
4. What was Flush's first experience like at the Barrett home in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
5. What was Flush's life like on the farm in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
6. What did Flush feel about Miss Barrett's lack of sympathy when he crushed his paw?
7. How does the author describe Edward Barrett?
8. What actions did Flush take which confused Miss Barrett?
9. How did Miss Barrett react after Mr. Browning left from his first visit?
10. How does the author describe Mr. Barrett's first visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of classism in the narrative. How is this theme supported through symbolism and metaphor? How does Flush exhibit classism? How does he learn this behavior? How is the differentiation of dogs into different classes relative to human society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the narrative. Why did Flush feel jealous of Mr. Browning? How did he exhibit these feelings? What led Flush to overcome his jealousy? How did Flush show his jealousy at the birth of the Brownings' son? What led him to overcome these feelings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Edward Barrett. Why was Mr. Barrett so controlling over his children? What was the heritage and ancestry of the Barrett family? How many children did Mr. Barrett have? How did he relate to his children as they became adults?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)