|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As centuries passed, the Spaniel evolved into how many different branches?
2. When Mr. Browning first came to visit, the author writes, "What was horrible to Flush, as they talked, was his______________."
3. Flush became a father before he was how old in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
4. Elizabeth Barrett had one sister who died when Elizabeth was how old?
5. Miss Barrett wrote that Flush loved her more than ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Carhaginians involved in one story about the origin of the word "Spaniels"?
2. What did Flush feel about Miss Barrett's lack of sympathy when he crushed his paw?
3. How did Flush go about determining his worthiness? How was his action misinterpreted by Miss Barrett?
4. How did Miss Barrett react after Mr. Browning left from his first visit?
5. How did Miss Barrett begin to transform as Mr. Browning continued his visits? How did Flush feel about the change?
6. Where did Flush spend his first bedroom at the Barrett home in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? What was his first outing in London?
7. What are examples of Flush's high-strung demeanor after living in the Barrett home?
8. How does the author describe Mr. Barrett's first visit?
9. How was the park described in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? What did Flush conclude about the park?
10. What story relating the origins of the word "Spaniel" discusses the Basque people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the theme of sacrifice in the narrative. How does Flush exhibit sacrifice in Chapter 2: "The Back Bedroom"? What does Miss Barrett sacrifice for her health? What does she sacrifice for Mr. Barrett? What sacrifices does Flush make and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in the narrative. How does the author develop a sense of foreboding in Chapter Three: "The Hooded Man"? What leads Flush to begin anticipating the arrival of the hooded man? How does he feel about the arrival?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Edward Barrett. Why was Mr. Barrett so controlling over his children? What was the heritage and ancestry of the Barrett family? How many children did Mr. Barrett have? How did he relate to his children as they became adults?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)