|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some insisted that the breed of dog be called Spaniel because it was ____________.
(a) The Latin word for "cattle."
(b) The name of a Biblical king.
(c) A pet name.
(d) Derived from the Greek for "boy."
2. Who was lying on the sofa by Elizabeth Barrett when Flush was finally summoned from the kitchen after biting Mr. Browning?
(c) Miss Wilson.
(d) Miss Mitford.
3. Miss Barrett asked Flush if he believed _________ was alive in Chapter Three: "The Hooded Man."
(a) A harp.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A tuba.
(d) A piano.
4. What refers to a twill fabric constructed of a silk or rayon warp and worsted filling, often dyed black for mourning wear?
5. When did Elizabeth Barrett die?
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was it when Flush was taken to live with Elizabeth Barrett?
2. From what did Flush drink his water, noting that it was deserving of his high rank?
3. In Chapter Three, the author writes that Mr. Browning's _________ was "perhaps the sharpest thorn that pressed into Flush's side"?
4. Flush was amazed by the smells of London, which were violently contrasted and compounded more than any he had smelled in the fields near ______________.
5. What color gloves did Mr. Browning always wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Flush take which confused Miss Barrett?
2. How are the Carhaginians involved in one story about the origin of the word "Spaniels"?
3. How does the author describe Edward Barrett?
4. How does the author describe the bond between Flush and Miss Barrett?
5. What did Flush learn about the classes of dogs from overhearing Londoners in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"?
6. How old was Flush when Miss Barrett received her first letter from Mr. Browning? What happened as the time passed?
7. How did Flush feel about the sights, sounds and smells of London in his first outing in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"?
8. What is the first story the author relates about the origin of the name "Spaniel"?
9. How does the author describe Flush's second outing in Chapter Two: "The Back Bedroom"? Where did he go?
10. How did Flush go about determining his worthiness? How was his action misinterpreted by Miss Barrett?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)