|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what nickname was Elizabeth Barrett known to her family?
2. Who would walk her dogs, along with Flush, in the fields when he was a puppy?
(a) Miss Wilson.
(c) Miss Mitford.
(d) Edward Barrett.
3. Flush was amazed by the smells of London, which were violently contrasted and compounded more than any he had smelled in the fields near ______________.
4. Of what did Flush ask, "Were these not the signals of freedom?"
(a) Trees and grass.
(b) Rainbows and sunsets.
(c) Air and water.
(d) Birds and frogs.
5. Miss Barrett walked on her own feet as far as the gate to _______ with her sister.
(a) Three Mile Cross.
(b) Marylebone Church.
(c) Regent's Park.
(d) Devonshire Place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miss Barrett mistakenly think of Flush as when he looked in the mirror in Chapter 2?
2. Whom did Flush refer to as Miss Barrett's sister's little King Charles?
3. What was the date when Mr. Browning first visited Miss Barrett?
4. Some insisted that the breed of dog be called Spaniel because it was ____________.
5. What verb means to argue or reason with, especially in order to dissuade from an action or intention?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Flush first bit Mr. Browning?
2. How does the author describe the bond between Flush and Miss Barrett?
3. How are the Carhaginians involved in one story about the origin of the word "Spaniels"?
4. How did Miss Barrett react after Mr. Browning left from his first visit?
5. What were the desirable breed characteristics of Spaniels?
6. How did Flush feel about his master's writing and sadness?
7. How did Flush's sensitivity serve him at the Barrett home?
8. Describe Flush's second attack on Mr. Browning.
9. How did the Spaniel breed evolve in England, as described in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"? What characteristics do Spaniels share?
10. What are examples of Flush's high-strung demeanor after living in the Barrett home?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)