|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What figure of speech is represented by "... just as a river, though it reflects still trees and grazing cows and rooks returning to the tree-tops, moves inevitably to a waterfall, so those days, Flush knew, were moving to catastrophe"?
2. What day of the week was it when Mr. Browning first visited Miss Barrett in Chapter Three?
3. Elizabeth Barrett Browning was one of the foremost poets of what era?
4. On what day did Flush make his second attack on Mr. Browning?
(a) January 1.
(b) December 26.
(c) April 3.
(d) July 21.
5. What group insured that only those dogs with the desirable traits were bred?
(a) A Kennel Club.
(b) A Spaniel Club.
(c) A Judges Club.
(d) A Scientific Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Elizabeth Barrett born?
2. In what century was the Spaniel exported from Spain to Wales?
3. Flush felt that he and Miss Barrett lived alone together in a cushioned and fire-lit __________.
4. How many brothers did Miss Barrett have?
5. What did Miss Barrett tell Flush after Mr. Browning left on the day that Flush first bit him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Flush's life like on the farm in Chapter One: "Three Mile Cross"?
2. How does the author describe the bond between Flush and Miss Barrett?
3. How did Flush feel about his master's writing and sadness?
4. How did Flush's sensitivity serve him at the Barrett home?
5. When was Flush born? Who were his parents? Where did he live as a puppy?
6. How does the author describe Mr. Barrett's first visit?
7. How are the Carhaginians involved in one story about the origin of the word "Spaniels"?
8. What are examples of Flush's high-strung demeanor after living in the Barrett home?
9. How did Flush go about determining his worthiness? How was his action misinterpreted by Miss Barrett?
10. How did Miss Barrett begin to transform as Mr. Browning continued his visits? How did Flush feel about the change?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)