|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, where is Noah's friend Thom going with his family?
2. What color bathing suit top is Shelly wearing when Noah talks to her in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 7, how does Abbey pretend to get hurt?
4. How many nights did Paine spend in jail for the Carmichael incident before he let Donna bail him out?
5. In Chapter 6, how much money does Shelly say that Lice took?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Noah born?
2. How do Abbey and Noah escape in Chapter 6 when a man tries to grab Abbey?
3. What does Noah know about his Grandpa Bobby's death?
4. In Chapter 1, what jobs does Noah say that his father has had?
5. In Chapter 3, why does Shelly say that the world is so messed up?
6. In Chapter 6, how are things different at the jail when Noah goes to visit his dad?
7. In Chapter 5, what does Noah tell Lice Peeking he has to do in order to get the boat?
8. What does Noah discover when he sneaks out to the marina in Chapter 7?
9. In Chapter 3, why will Paine stay at the city jail?
10. How does Noah describe Jasper Muleman Jr.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Noah sometimes struggles to understand his father and the things his father does. What does Noah learn about his father, and how does that knowledge help him understand his father and his motives?
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa Bobby disappeared for ten years. Why did Grandpa Bobby not contact his family for that period of time, and how did his knowledge of Paine’s character contribute to his lack of communication?
Essay Topic 3
Donna tells Noah that “being married to my father is like having another child to watch after, one who’s too big and unpredictable to put in time-out” (20). In what way is Paine like a child, and how do the events in the novel help him to become more responsible?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)