|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the woman that confronts Charlie screams in response to what he does to her?
2. What does Charlie do that causes the random woman who confronts him to scream?
3. Who denies Charlie's sister the promised reward for the A on her History test?
4. What does Charlie do when Nemur asks him to speak to the audience at the conference for the International Psychological Association?
5. How high is Charlie's IQ when he remembers the story about his sister and the History test?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
2. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
3. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
4. What does Charlie do at the bakery when his IQ reaches 100 that earns him a raise?
5. What is Professor Nemur most upset about when Charlie returns to the lab after living in his own apartment?
6. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
7. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
8. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
9. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
10. What does one of Charlie's old classmates at Beekman say to Charlie when he tries to talk to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is an emotion that rears its ugly head a number of times in this book. Which characters evokes this emotion, and how do they respond to their jealous tendencies? How do these instances affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The importance and influence of family relations is a very strong theme present in this book. What are some of the instances of this theme, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)