|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a two week gap in the Progress Report?
2. What does Fay do while Charlie is away at the peak of his intellectual abilities?
3. What does Charlie see when he begins to put his arm around Alice at the concert in the park?
4. How does Professor Nemur respond to Charlie's return to the lab after his time in his own apartment?
5. Where does Charlie go when he leaves the conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
2. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
3. What flash-back memory does Charlie have on his plane ride to Chicago?
4. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
5. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
6. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
7. What does Charlie do at the bakery when his IQ reaches 100 that earns him a raise?
8. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
9. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
10. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear and courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)