|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie's sister once almost get as a reward for an A on a test?
2. Where is the conference for the International Psychological Association being held?
3. What upsets Ms. Kinnian when she is talking with Charlie after his procedure one day?
4. How high is Charlie's IQ when he remembers the story about his sister and the History test?
5. How does Charlie decide to celebrate his raise at the bakery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
2. What did Charlie want to have happen as he ran away from the angry mob in the park after a woman came on to him?
3. What prank do the guys at the bakery try to play on Charlie on April Fool's Day?
4. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
5. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
6. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
7. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
8. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
9. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
10. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Love and intimacy are two themes that are very present in this plot. Where do these themes appear, and why do you think the author chose these places to present these integral ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Charlie learn through these experiences?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)