|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charlie think about while he is with Fay in his new apartment?
2. How many people are housed at the Warren State Home and Training School?
3. What is Fay's occupation?
4. What does Charlie do that angers Alice when he picks her up from the Beekman college one day?
5. How does Fanny Biden think Charlie has become so smart all of the sudden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
2. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
3. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
4. Why is Alice so hesitant to be in a relationship with Charlie even though she cares for him?
5. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
6. What prank do the guys at the bakery try to play on Charlie on April Fool's Day?
7. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
8. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
9. How does Fanny think Charlie came about his intelligence?
10. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Professor Nemur is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nemur had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)