|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Algernon doing when Charlie finds him at the end of the conference for the International Psychological Association?
2. Why is there a two week gap in the Progress Report?
3. How do Charlie's co-workers respond to the drastic change in Charlie as he becomes more intelligent?
4. How does Charlie decide to celebrate his raise at the bakery?
5. What did Gimpy once give Charlie after trying to teach him to make rolls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
2. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
3. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
4. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
5. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
6. What area of expertise does Charlie showcase before the conference in Chicago begins?
7. What did Charlie want to have happen as he ran away from the angry mob in the park after a woman came on to him?
8. What is Professor Nemur most upset about when Charlie returns to the lab after living in his own apartment?
9. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
10. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Dreams are a very important and symbolic part of this story-line. What are some of these dreams, and why are they so significant to the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)