|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Norma think his brother was before she was contacted about the surgery?
2. What does Charlie do to calm himself when he wakes up after his nightmare about Alice on the night after he tellls her he likes her?
3. What is Charlie's father's occupation when he finds him after moving into his own apartment?
4. What surprises the would-be pranksters at the bakery?
5. What does Charlie do during his free time at the college when his IQ reaches 100?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
2. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
3. What flash-back memory does Charlie have on his plane ride to Chicago?
4. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
5. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
6. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
7. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
8. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
9. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
10. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Daniel Keyes have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)