|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charlie's mom slap him when he holds the baby?
2. What does Charlie do to calm himself when he wakes up after his nightmare about Alice on the night after he tellls her he likes her?
3. Why is Charlie not allowed to fix the errors in his earlier entries in the Progress Report?
4. What does Charlie wish he could see more clearly in his past memories?
5. What does Ms. Kinnian teach Charlie about after she reads his Progress Reports?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
2. How does Fanny think Charlie came about his intelligence?
3. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
4. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
5. What area of expertise does Charlie showcase before the conference in Chicago begins?
6. What does Charlie do at the bakery when his IQ reaches 100 that earns him a raise?
7. What prank do the guys at the bakery try to play on Charlie on April Fool's Day?
8. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
9. What does Professor Nemur say at the conference in Chicago that upsets Charlie?
10. What causes Charlie to get upset with Burt during one of their sessions together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Patience is a theme exhibited by a few of the main characters in this book. Who are those characters, and what are some of the best examples of the patience they show? How does this affect their place in this plot?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in this book, and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)