|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie think of his sister when she is first brought home from the hospital?
2. How high is Charlie's IQ when he remembers the story about his sister and the History test?
3. Where is Charlie when a random woman offers to go home with him?
4. Who observes Algernon in his old maze when Charlie returns him to the lab?
5. How do Alice and Fay feel about each other when they meet one night at Charlie's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What flash-back memory does Charlie have on his plane ride to Chicago?
2. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
3. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
4. Why is Alice so hesitant to be in a relationship with Charlie even though she cares for him?
5. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
6. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
7. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
8. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
9. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
10. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of forms by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book? What are the differences in the forms fear took in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 3
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)