|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is there a two week gap in the Progress Report?
2. What does Burt give Charlie on the plane to dictate his progress reports?
3. What does Ms. Kinnian teach Charlie about after she reads his Progress Reports?
4. What is Algernon doing when Charlie finds him at the end of the conference for the International Psychological Association?
5. What new position is Charlie given at the bakery after a prank is played on him by his co-workers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Professor Nemur most upset about when Charlie returns to the lab after living in his own apartment?
2. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
3. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
4. What does Charlie do at the bakery when his IQ reaches 100 that earns him a raise?
5. What does Professor Nemur say at the conference in Chicago that upsets Charlie?
6. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
7. What causes Charlie to get upset with Burt during one of their sessions together?
8. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
9. How does Fanny think Charlie came about his intelligence?
10. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a very important and symbolic part of this story-line. What are some of these dreams, and why are they so significant to the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Patience is a theme exhibited by a few of the main characters in this book. Who are those characters, and what are some of the best examples of the patience they show? How does this affect their place in this plot?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)