|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie decide to celebrate his raise at the bakery?
2. What is Fay's occupation?
3. Where did Norma think his brother was before she was contacted about the surgery?
4. After talking with some college students when his IQ has reached 100, what does Charlie think that college is?
5. Where does Charlie spend most of his time once he reaches the peak of his intellectual abilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
2. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
3. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
4. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
5. What prank do the guys at the bakery try to play on Charlie on April Fool's Day?
6. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
7. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
8. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
9. What is Professor Nemur most upset about when Charlie returns to the lab after living in his own apartment?
10. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear and courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of diversity and acceptance is heard loud and clear in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does this idea affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)