|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charlie give Harriet on Valentines Day when he was younger?
2. What does Charlie do to calm himself when he wakes up after his nightmare about Alice on the night after he tellls her he likes her?
3. Where does Charlie go when he leaves the conference?
4. What does Charlie do that angers Alice when he picks her up from the Beekman college one day?
5. Where is Charlie when a random woman offers to go home with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Charlie want to have happen as he ran away from the angry mob in the park after a woman came on to him?
2. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
3. What is Professor Nemur most upset about when Charlie returns to the lab after living in his own apartment?
4. Why is Alice so hesitant to be in a relationship with Charlie even though she cares for him?
5. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
6. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
7. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
8. How does Fanny think Charlie came about his intelligence?
9. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
10. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of diversity and acceptance is heard loud and clear in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does this idea affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)