|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burt give Charlie on the plane to dictate his progress reports?
2. What does Nemur say during the conference that enrages Charlie?
3. Where does Charlie find Algernon at the end of the conference for the International Psychological Association?
4. How many people are housed at the Warren State Home and Training School?
5. What does Nemur compare Charlie's curiosity about his future to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
2. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
3. What does Charlie say that intelligence without affection will lead to when he is at the cocktail party with Nemur?
4. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
5. What does Charlie do at the bakery when his IQ reaches 100 that earns him a raise?
6. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
7. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
8. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
9. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
10. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear and courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)