|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor giving Charlie the test on the second day of the experiment tell him to do during the test?
2. What gives Charlie headaches after the surgery?
3. What is on the fifth floor of the building where Burt works?
4. What date does Charlie start writing in his Progress Report again after his surgery?
5. Who are the only patients of this experiment before Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good luck charm does Charlie keep with him always to help him be brave?
2. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Frank ask Charlie that makes him laugh after his surgery?
4. Why does Charlie say he does not like writing in his Progress Report on the third day?
5. What is the first memory that Charlie has after having the learning TV put in his room at night?
6. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
7. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
8. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
9. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
10. What worries Charlie when he comes back to the bakery after his surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Professor Nemur is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nemur had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)