|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives Charlie headaches after the surgery?
2. What is Nemur's reply to Charlie's question to him just before the surgery?
3. How old is Charlie at the beginning of the book?
4. What is a possible complication of the surgery Charlie is about to undergo to raise his IQ?
5. What is Charlie supposed to see in his test on the second day of the experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
2. Why does Charlie say he does not like writing in his Progress Report on the third day?
3. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
4. What does Frank ask Charlie that makes him laugh after his surgery?
5. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of at the beginning of this book?
6. What is a Rorschach test?
7. What worries Charlie when he comes back to the bakery after his surgery?
8. Why is Professor Nemur so hesitant to perform the surgery on Charlie?
9. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
10. Why do Charlie's friends at the bakery think that Charlie is in the hospital because he is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Professor Nemur is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nemur had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of forms by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book? What are the differences in the forms fear took in this book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)