|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burt have Charlie try and do after showing him the animal who has undergone the same experiment he is now a part of?
2. Who is Charlie's teacher at the beginning of the book?
3. Who does Charlie say hollers at him at work in the third entry in the Progress Report?
4. What does Charlie's new nurse after the surgery refuse to tell him about?
5. What do the doctors tell Charlie about the results of the Rorschach test the day afterward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
2. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
3. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
4. What good luck charm does Charlie keep with him always to help him be brave?
5. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
6. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
7. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
8. How does Charlie feel about Burt after he takes the Rorschach test?
9. What is Charlie supposed to write about in his progress report?
10. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and intimacy are two themes that are very present in this plot. Where do these themes appear, and why do you think the author chose these places to present these integral ideas?
Essay Topic 2
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Patience is a theme exhibited by a few of the main characters in this book. Who are those characters, and what are some of the best examples of the patience they show? How does this affect their place in this plot?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)