|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Charlie so tired at work since this experiment began?
2. What date does Charlie start writing in his Progress Report again after his surgery?
3. Why does Charlie keep writing in his Progress Report and taking tests after his surgery?
4. What does Joe Carp ask Charlie when he sees the scar on Charlie's head after the surgery?
5. What do the doctors tell Charlie about the results of the Rorschach test the day afterward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What good luck charm does Charlie keep with him always to help him be brave?
2. What is the first memory that Charlie has after having the learning TV put in his room at night?
3. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
4. Why is Charlie so afraid he failed his Rorschach test?
5. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
6. What is a Rorschach test?
7. Who does Professor Nemur say he will be able to help if the procedure works well on Charlie?
8. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
9. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
10. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Daniel Keyes have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is an emotion that rears its ugly head a number of times in this book. Which characters evokes this emotion, and how do they respond to their jealous tendencies? How do these instances affect the plot of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)