|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie most excited for just before the surgery?
2. Who is Charlie's boss at his place of work?
3. What is Charlie told to write in his progress report?
4. What reason do the doctors give Charlie for taking so many tests and statistics?
5. What does Miss Kinnian bring Charlie just before his surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
2. Why do Charlie's friends at the bakery think that Charlie is in the hospital because he is sick?
3. What is Charlie most excited about having after the surgery is over?
4. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
5. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
6. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
7. What is a Rorschach test?
8. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
9. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
10. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Charlie learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Patience is a theme exhibited by a few of the main characters in this book. Who are those characters, and what are some of the best examples of the patience they show? How does this affect their place in this plot?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of science is vitally important in this plot. Where does this theme appear, and how is the plot altered because of it?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)