|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie most excited for just before the surgery?
2. When will Charlie take the next round of tests at the institution?
3. Who does Charlie want to show his new intelligence to after the surgery?
4. What does Burt give Charlie to do on the fourth day of the experiment?
5. What is Charlie told to write in his progress report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
2. What is the first memory that Charlie has after having the learning TV put in his room at night?
3. Why is Charlie so afraid he failed his Rorschach test?
4. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
5. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
6. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
7. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
8. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
9. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
10. Why is Professor Nemur so hesitant to perform the surgery on Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of diversity and acceptance is heard loud and clear in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does this idea affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of forms by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book? What are the differences in the forms fear took in this book?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)