|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie supposed to do for a test on the fourth day of the experiment?
2. Where does Charlie have lunch with Burt after he is released from the hospital after his surgery?
3. What does Charlie say he wants lots of just before his surgery?
4. How old is Charlie at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the name of the main doctor overseeing Charlie's experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie so afraid he failed his Rorschach test?
2. What is so surprising to Charlie about Algernon when he first sees the mouse?
3. What is Charlie most excited about having after the surgery is over?
4. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
5. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of at the beginning of this book?
6. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
7. Who does Professor Nemur say he will be able to help if the procedure works well on Charlie?
8. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
9. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
10. Why does Charlie say he does not like writing in his Progress Report on the third day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Charlie endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials, and what lessons does Charlie learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)