|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie have to go if the experiment does not work?
2. What characteristic does Burt say Charlie and Algernon share?
3. What does Dr. Strauss say he will NOT help Charlie do after his surgery?
4. Why is Charlie unable to do what he should on the test given him on the fourth day of the experiment?
5. Who is Charlie's boss at his place of work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alice so hesitant to be in a relationship with Charlie even though she cares for him?
2. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
3. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
4. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
5. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
6. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
7. What is Charlie most excited about having after the surgery is over?
8. What causes Charlie to get upset with Burt during one of their sessions together?
9. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
10. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Professor Nemur is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nemur had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)