|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charlie not like writing in his Progress Report by the third day?
2. Who are the only patients of this experiment before Charlie?
3. What were Charlie's bandages after his surgery covering?
4. How many days after his surgery does it take for Charlie to start writing in his Progress Report again?
5. Where does Charlie have to go if the experiment does not work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
2. What prank do the guys at the bakery try to play on Charlie on April Fool's Day?
3. What area of expertise does Charlie showcase before the conference in Chicago begins?
4. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
5. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
6. What causes Charlie to believe that everything he has been taught might be false?
7. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
8. How does Charlie feel about Burt after he takes the Rorschach test?
9. What good luck charm does Charlie keep with him always to help him be brave?
10. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Daniel Keyes have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Dreams are a very important and symbolic part of this story-line. What are some of these dreams, and why are they so significant to the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)