Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie offer to do when he cannot complete the test he is given on the fourth day of the experiment?
2. What does the doctor giving Charlie the test on the second day of the experiment tell him to do during the test?
3. What is Charlie most excited for just before the surgery?
4. What gives Charlie headaches after the surgery?
5. How many days after his surgery does it take for Charlie to start writing in his Progress Report again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Rorschach test?
2. What does Hilda say to Charlie that gets her transferred from his care after the surgery?
3. Who does Professor Nemur say he will be able to help if the procedure works well on Charlie?
4. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
5. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
6. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of at the beginning of this book?
7. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
8. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
9. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
10. What does Charlie say that intelligence without affection will lead to when he is at the cocktail party with Nemur?
Love and intimacy are two themes that are very present in this plot. Where do these themes appear, and why do you think the author chose these places to present these integral ideas?
The theme of diversity and acceptance is heard loud and clear in this book. What are some examples of this theme, and how does this idea affect the characters involved in those scenes?
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)