|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie think the doctor who gave him the test on the second day of the experiment looks like?
2. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of?
3. Who is Charlie's sister living with when she is found by the doctors?
4. Who does Charlie need permission from to undergo the procedure to increase his IQ?
5. What does Charlie say he is willing to endure in order to be smart?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie so afraid he failed his Rorschach test?
2. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
3. What is Charlie supposed to write about in his progress report?
4. What is the first memory that Charlie has after having the learning TV put in his room at night?
5. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
6. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of at the beginning of this book?
7. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
8. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
9. Why do Charlie's friends at the bakery think that Charlie is in the hospital because he is sick?
10. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of forms by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book? What are the differences in the forms fear took in this book?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)