|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie attend school at the beginning of the book?
2. Who suggested that Charlie should be a part of the experiment in the first place?
3. What is on the fifth floor of the building where Burt works?
4. What is Charlie most excited for just before the surgery?
5. Why is Charlie unable to do what he should on the test given him on the fourth day of the experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
2. What does Charlie say he will not be any more once he becomes smart?
3. What worries Charlie when he comes back to the bakery after his surgery?
4. What is so surprising to Charlie about Algernon when he first sees the mouse?
5. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
6. What used to happen to Charlie when he told lies?
7. What does Frank ask Charlie that makes him laugh after his surgery?
8. What does Hilda say to Charlie that gets her transferred from his care after the surgery?
9. What kind of experiment is Charlie a part of at the beginning of this book?
10. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Fear and courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)