|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie hope to be able to hold conversations about once he is smart after the surgery?
2. What is Charlie told to write in his progress report?
3. What did the test that Charlie took on the second day of the experiment involve?
4. How old is Charlie at the beginning of the book?
5. Why does Strauss tell Charlie he will not notice his improvement at first after the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fanny think Charlie came about his intelligence?
2. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
3. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
4. Why is Charlie fired from his job at the bakery?
5. What happens when Charlie goes to see his father in the barbershop?
6. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
7. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
8. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
9. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
10. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in this book, and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)