|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlie's teacher at the beginning of the book?
2. What were Charlie's bandages after his surgery covering?
3. What is Charlie told to write in his progress report?
4. How do the doctors say they will be able to keep track of what is going on in Charlie's head after the surgery?
5. What does Charlie hope to be able to hold conversations about once he is smart after the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Professor Nemur say he will be able to help if the procedure works well on Charlie?
2. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
3. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
4. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
5. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
6. What is Charlie supposed to write about in his progress report?
7. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
8. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
9. What is Charlie most excited about having after the surgery is over?
10. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is an emotion that rears its ugly head a number of times in this book. Which characters evokes this emotion, and how do they respond to their jealous tendencies? How do these instances affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear and courage are two themes that seem to appear in tandem many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and why do they always appear together?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)