|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie's new nurse after the surgery refuse to tell him about?
2. What reason do the doctors give Charlie for taking so many tests and statistics?
3. What does Miss Kinnian bring Charlie just before his surgery?
4. What is Charlie supposed to see in his test on the second day of the experiment?
5. What does Charlie almost shout to the passersby when he is at lunch with Burt after being released from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
2. What does Frank ask Charlie that makes him laugh after his surgery?
3. How does Charlie feel about Burt after he takes the Rorschach test?
4. Why does Charlie say he does not like writing in his Progress Report on the third day?
5. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
6. Why is Charlie so afraid he failed his Rorschach test?
7. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
8. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
9. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
10. Why do Charlie's friends at the bakery think that Charlie is in the hospital because he is sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times in a number of forms by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book? What are the differences in the forms fear took in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in this book, and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)