|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the doctors say they will be able to keep track of what is going on in Charlie's head after the surgery?
2. What do Charlie's friends in the hospital bring Charlie before his surgery?
3. Who is Charlie's teacher at the beginning of the book?
4. Who suggested that Charlie should be a part of the experiment in the first place?
5. What is the name of the animal that has undergone the same experiment Charlie is now a part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
2. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
3. How does Charlie feel about Burt after he takes the Rorschach test?
4. What used to happen to Charlie when he told lies?
5. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
6. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
7. What is Charlie most excited about having after the surgery is over?
8. Why does Charlie say he does not like writing in his Progress Report on the third day?
9. What does Hilda say to Charlie that gets her transferred from his care after the surgery?
10. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Daniel Keyes have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in this book, and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)