|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days after his surgery does it take for Charlie to start writing in his Progress Report again?
2. Why do the people in the bakery think Charlie is having surgery because he is sick?
3. What do the doctors tell Charlie about the results of the Rorschach test the day afterward?
4. Why does Charlie keep writing in his Progress Report and taking tests after his surgery?
5. Why does Charlie not like writing in his Progress Report by the third day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie say he will not be any more once he becomes smart?
2. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
3. How does Charlie feel about Burt after he takes the Rorschach test?
4. Who does Professor Nemur say he will be able to help if the procedure works well on Charlie?
5. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
6. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
7. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
8. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
9. Why does Ms. Kinnian say that Charlie is her best student at the college?
10. What worries Charlie when he comes back to the bakery after his surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of science is vitally important in this plot. Where does this theme appear, and how is the plot altered because of it?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)