|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of Charlie's friends from the bakery?
2. What does the doctor giving Charlie the test on the second day of the experiment tell him to do during the test?
3. What is Charlie most excited for just before the surgery?
4. What kind of test does Charlie take on the second day of the experiment?
5. Who are the only patients of this experiment before Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank ask Charlie that makes him laugh after his surgery?
2. How does Charlie think his parents will respond to him if he shows them he has become smart?
3. Why does Charlie not know where his mother and sister are at the beginning of the book?
4. Why do Charlie's friends at the bakery think that Charlie is in the hospital because he is sick?
5. What does Charlie ask Lucille that causes her to get embarrassed and run out of the room?
6. What happens to Charlie when he goes the wrong way in his maze on the fourth day of the experiment?
7. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
8. What does Burt have Charlie try and do on the fourth day of the experiment?
9. What does Charlie say he will not be any more once he becomes smart?
10. What does Burt tell Charlie to do over and over during the Rorschach test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams are a very important and symbolic part of this story-line. What are some of these dreams, and why are they so significant to the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The importance and influence of family relations is a very strong theme present in this book. What are some of the instances of this theme, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Charlie said that intelligence and affection must be together in order for joy to exist. Which characters best display this idea, and how does this mantra manifest itself in the plot?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)