|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a possible complication of the surgery Charlie is about to undergo to raise his IQ?
2. What do Charlie's friends in the hospital bring Charlie before his surgery?
3. What kind of test does Charlie take on the second day of the experiment?
4. How old is Charlie at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Charlie's school specialize in at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first memory that Charlie has after having the learning TV put in his room at night?
2. Why is Professor Nemur so hesitant to perform the surgery on Charlie?
3. Why is Charlie disappointed just after his surgery?
4. Why does Charlie start to feel sorry for Algernon after hating him for so long?
5. What is unique about the writing style of the first chapter of this book?
6. What trait does Burt say that Algernon and Charlie both share?
7. What kind of school does Charlie attend at the beginning of the book?
8. What is so surprising to Charlie about Algernon when he first sees the mouse?
9. What does Hilda say to Charlie that gets her transferred from his care after the surgery?
10. Who gave the doctors permission to include Charlie in their surgical experiment to raise his IQ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leadership is a very prominent theme in this book. Who are some of the main leaders in this book, and what makes them the true leaders? Is there more than one protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
How do Charlie and Alice change through the course of the book, and what causes these changes? Who undergoes the most emotional growth?
Essay Topic 3
Competition and fair-play is a major theme that is found in many different scenes of this book. What are some of those scenes, and what affect do they have on the course of the plot?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)