|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie have a hard time focusing on the movies when he takes Ms. Kinnian out to them?
(a) He keeps thinking about other things.
(b) He would rather look at her.
(c) They are too loud.
(d) He gets nervous in dark places like theaters.
2. What present does Fay bring for Algernon one day?
(a) A maze.
(b) A tiny bow tie.
(c) A female mouse.
(d) A bag of peanuts.
3. How does Professor Nemur respond to Charlie's return to the lab after his time in his own apartment?
(a) He is angry, but satisfied.
(b) He is jealous.
(c) He is cold and severe.
(d) His is immensely relieved.
4. What does Charlie do to calm himself when he wakes up after his nightmare about Alice on the night after he tellls her he likes her?
(a) Drinks some coffee.
(b) Smokes a pipe.
(c) Takes a walk.
(d) Reads a book.
5. What does Nemur say during the conference that enrages Charlie?
(a) Charlie will never regret his work with Nemur.
(b) Charlie was a useless human being.
(c) Charlie did not have a life worth living until he was smart.
(d) Charlie owes his quality of life to science.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Charlie was younger, who pushed to keep Charlie in the normal public school system?
2. How does Charlie pretend to be a student at the college once his IQ hits 100?
3. What is Charlie's favorite kind of book to read when his IQ reaches 100?
4. What causes Charlie to start a fight with Nemur at the cocktail party thrown by Mrs. Nemur?
5. What do Charlie's friends from the bakery make him do with Ellen at a party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
2. What realization does Charlie make while reading The Great Gatsby?
3. What does Charlie say about the failure of this experiment done on him?
4. What happens when Algernon is put back into his original maze when he and Charlie return to the lab?
5. What happens in his apartment that shows Charlie that Algernon needs to be taken back to the lab?
6. What flash-back memory does Charlie have on his plane ride to Chicago?
7. What area of expertise does Charlie showcase before the conference in Chicago begins?
8. What did Charlie want to have happen as he ran away from the angry mob in the park after a woman came on to him?
9. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
10. What is Alice really upset about when she sees Charlie at the college where she teaches retarded adults?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)