|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie build for Algernon in his own furnished apartment?
(a) A cage.
(b) A maze.
(c) A house.
(d) A running wheel.
2. What does Nemur say during the conference that enrages Charlie?
(a) Charlie was a useless human being.
(b) Charlie will never regret his work with Nemur.
(c) Charlie owes his quality of life to science.
(d) Charlie did not have a life worth living until he was smart.
3. How do Charlie's co-workers respond to the drastic change in Charlie as he becomes more intelligent?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are scared.
(c) They are hostile.
(d) They are disappointed.
4. What does Charlie do to spoil the evening when he tells Alice that he likes her?
(a) Spills water on her.
(c) Passes gas.
(d) Drops his meal on the floor.
5. What was Charlie's father's occupation?
(a) Selling barbershop supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burt give Charlie on the plane to dictate his progress reports?
2. Where did Norma think his brother was before she was contacted about the surgery?
3. What does Nemur telll Charlie not to read about until Nemur says he is ready?
4. How does Professor Nemur respond to Charlie's return to the lab after his time in his own apartment?
5. After he tells Alice he likes her, what does Charlie have a nightmare about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Charlie so understanding about the hostile attitude that his friends at the bakery have towards him as his intelligence is raised?
2. What area of expertise does Charlie showcase before the conference in Chicago begins?
3. What mistake does Charlie realize Nemur has made during the conference in Chicago?
4. Why is Charlie unable to be physically intimate with Alice?
5. Why did Norma's father refuse to let her have the dog she was promised if she did well on her history test?
6. Why is Alice so hesitant to be in a relationship with Charlie even though she cares for him?
7. What does Charlie say that intelligence without affection will lead to when he is at the cocktail party with Nemur?
8. What causes Charlie to get upset with Burt during one of their sessions together?
9. Why did Charlie allow himself to soil himself when he was younger?
10. What happens to Charlie the night after he dances with Ellen at the party?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)