|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Charlie to start a fight with Nemur at the cocktail party thrown by Mrs. Nemur?
(a) He feels ignored by the people at the party.
(b) Alice says something rude to him.
(c) He drinks too much.
(d) He hears Nemur call him a bad name.
2. What does Charlie do during his free time at the college when his IQ reaches 100?
(a) Listens to the student's conversations.
(b) Eats at the cafeteria.
(c) Talks with the students.
(d) Watches the sporting events.
3. What does Charlie do to spoil the evening when he tells Alice that he likes her?
(b) Spills water on her.
(c) Drops his meal on the floor.
(d) Passes gas.
4. Why does Charlie have a hard time focusing on the movies when he takes Ms. Kinnian out to them?
(a) He would rather look at her.
(b) They are too loud.
(c) He gets nervous in dark places like theaters.
(d) He keeps thinking about other things.
5. Why is Charlie not allowed to fix the errors in his earlier entries in the Progress Report?
(a) They don't want it to upset him.
(b) It would disrupt the process.
(c) They need a record of the past.
(d) They want to see his progress.
6. What does Charlie do that causes the random woman who confronts him to scream?
(a) Screams at her.
(b) Slaps her.
(c) Grabs her shoulder.
(d) Calls her filthy.
7. Where does Charlie go when he leaves the conference?
(a) Salt Lake.
(d) New York.
8. Why does Charlie's mom slap him when he holds the baby?
(a) Charlie is holding her wrong.
(b) She is always cruel to Charlie.
(c) She is afraid he will hurt the baby.
(d) Charlie is rough with everything.
9. What does Nemur say during the conference that enrages Charlie?
(a) Charlie will never regret his work with Nemur.
(b) Charlie did not have a life worth living until he was smart.
(c) Charlie owes his quality of life to science.
(d) Charlie was a useless human being.
10. How does Charlie pretend to be a student at the college once his IQ hits 100?
(a) Carries a backpack.
(b) Writes nonsense in a notebook.
(c) Sits in on classes.
(d) Carries books around campus.
11. How do Alice and Fay feel about each other when they meet one night at Charlie's apartment?
(a) They pretend not to see each other.
(b) They like each other.
(c) They hate each other.
(d) They are annoyed by the other's presence.
12. What does Charlie wish he could see more clearly in his past memories?
(a) His surroundings.
(b) His parent's faces.
(c) His house.
(d) His own body.
13. What does Charlie learn about Algernon at the conference for the International Psychological Association?
(a) He is listless and bored.
(b) He is displaying a regression in intelligence.
(c) He is now the smartest mammal in creation.
(d) His actions have become erratic.
14. How many people are housed at the Warren State Home and Training School?
15. What was Charlie's father's occupation?
(b) Selling barbershop supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie decide to celebrate his raise at the bakery?
2. What did Charlie give Harriet on Valentines Day when he was younger?
3. Who denies Charlie's sister the promised reward for the A on her History test?
4. What is Algernon doing when Charlie finds him at the end of the conference for the International Psychological Association?
5. What does the random woman say to Charlie that causes him to think she is disgusting?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)