|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris react when he learns Cathy kissed Bart?
2. Who does Chris overhear saying that their grandfather has been dead for months?
3. What stipulation does the grandfather's will have that would make the Mother give all her inheritance to the grandmother?
4. What reason do Chris and Cathy initially give for making the rope they use to escape the room?
5. Which of the following things does Chris not witness the Mother and her date doing when he sees them in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cathy notice about the gifts their mother brings them in Chapter 17?
2. How do Chris and Cathy come to make love for the first time?
3. How does Cory come to have a pet mouse?
4. What does Cathy do one night when she finds her stepfather asleep in a chair?
5. How does Chris describe their mother's bedroom to Cathy?
6. How do Chris and Cathy go to a lake in Chapter 14?
7. What happens when the Mother discovers Chris out of the room in Chapter 11?
8. What happens when Cathy falls and cuts herself with scissors?
9. How is the trophy room in Foxworth Hall described in the book?
10. How does Chris get a key to their bedroom door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Incest is a theme presented in various ways in the book. Part 1.) How might the children's opinions of their parents change after discovering they were related? Part 2.) How does the grandmother inadvertently cause the incest to occur between Cathy and Chris, and what impact must this have on her? Part 3.) How does the author almost make incest excusable in the book, and what reason does she have for this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death that is presented in the book. What impact did Cory's death have on you as the reader? What does the mother's reaction to his death say about her ultimate motivations at the mansion?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of sex that is portrayed in the book. How do Chris and Cathy's views of sex become misconstrued when they are forced to teach themselves about the act together?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)