|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grandmother beat Cathy with after breaking her whip?
2. What do Chris and Cathy make a rope out of to use to escape the room for the first time?
3. How many days later does the Mother return to visit the children in Chapter 18?
4. What does the grandmother remove from the room at the end of Chapter 13?
5. What does Chris find his grandmother doing when he looks for valuables before escaping?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mother discuss menstruation with Cathy in the book?
2. What happens when grandmother finds Chris in front of a window in Chapter 15?
3. How do the children react after learning that Cory died?
4. How is Cathy's hair ruined in Chapter 13?
5. How do Chris and Cathy go to a lake in Chapter 14?
6. What does Cathy notice about the gifts their mother brings them in Chapter 17?
7. How does Chris get a key to their bedroom door?
8. How is the trophy room in Foxworth Hall described in the book?
9. What do Chris and Cathy witness at the Christmas party while hiding in a cupboard?
10. How is Bartholomew Winslow first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of puberty in the book. How was Chris and Cathy's experience with puberty flawed due to their being locked in the attic together?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dual nature of the grandmother that is portrayed in the book. What do you think is the grandmother's true feelings regarding the children, based on her mixture of punishment and occasional compassion in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is one topic the author examines in the book through the children's relationship with their mother. Part 1.) What is telling of Chris' nature based on his loyalty towards his mother after they are imprisoned? Part 2.) Why doesn't Cathy show the same loyalty to her mother as Chris does? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the nature of loyalty based on the portrayal of the children's loyalty breaking in the book?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)