|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cathy cut herself with in Chapter 13?
2. What does Cathy have a desire to do to her stepfather when she finds him asleep in a chair?
3. What does the Mother come to talk to Cathy about in Chapter 12?
4. What kind of bed does Chris see in his mother's room?
5. How does Cathy feel about the subject the Mother comes to talk to her about in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when grandmother finds Chris in front of a window in Chapter 15?
2. How does Chris get a key to their bedroom door?
3. What does Cathy do one night when she finds her stepfather asleep in a chair?
4. What does Cathy notice about the gifts their mother brings them in Chapter 17?
5. How is Chris and Cathy's first kiss described in the book?
6. What kind of book does Cathy find in her mother's room in Chapter 18?
7. What does Chris do when the grandmother accuses him and Cathy of incest in Chapter 13?
8. How is Cathy's hair ruined in Chapter 13?
9. How is the trophy room in Foxworth Hall described in the book?
10. What do Chris and Cathy witness at the Christmas party while hiding in a cupboard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the mother's surroundings versus the children's in Foxworth Hall. What can we learn about the motivations of the mother, based on her immaculate room and the children's old dusty attic?
Essay Topic 2
Wealth is an important theme throughout much of the book and controls how many of the characters act. Part 1.) What role does money play in the mother's life and why does she appear to need it so badly? Part 2.) How does the grandmother use her wealth as a way of controlling the Mother and the children? Part 3.) Based on the impact wealth plays in the lives of the book's characters, what conclusion might the author want the reader to come to regarding the nature of wealth?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the mother's actions before moving to the mansion and her actions after she brings the children there. What is telling of the true nature of the mother based on the evolution of her personality after moving back to her childhood home?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)