|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris tell Cathy is only something he should be able to do?
2. How old do the twins turn in Chapter 12?
3. What do Chris and Cathy make a rope out of to use to escape the room for the first time?
4. What does the grandmother accuse Chris and Cathy of in Chapter 13?
5. What kind of activities does Cathy find people doing in a book she finds in her mother's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when grandmother finds Chris in front of a window in Chapter 15?
2. How does Chris describe their mother's bedroom to Cathy?
3. What happens when Cathy tries to stop the grandmother from beating Chris in Chapter 15?
4. What does Chris learn about his mother from John Amos at the end of Chapter 20?
5. How do the children react after learning that Cory died?
6. How is Chris and Cathy's first kiss described in the book?
7. What happens when Cathy falls and cuts herself with scissors?
8. What does Chris do when the grandmother accuses him and Cathy of incest in Chapter 13?
9. What does Chris overhear his mother and Bart talking about while hiding in their room in Chapter 19?
10. What does Cathy do one night when she finds her stepfather asleep in a chair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dual nature of the grandmother that is portrayed in the book. What do you think is the grandmother's true feelings regarding the children, based on her mixture of punishment and occasional compassion in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death that is presented in the book. What impact did Cory's death have on you as the reader? What does the mother's reaction to his death say about her ultimate motivations at the mansion?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in the book. How is irony present in the formation of Chris and Cathy's relationship after the grandmother demanded that they adhere to her rules?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)