|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the children decide to do to make the attic more suitable?
2. What is the title of Chapter 2?
3. Who becomes difficult to deal with in the attic, in Chapter 7?
4. What is the father's middle name?
5. Who bites the grandmother during an altercation with her in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children react to the grandmother's demand that they study the Bible?
2. How is the layout of the attic first described in the book?
3. How does Chris try to make the attic more enjoyable for the twins in Chapter 4?
4. How does the Dollanganger children's father die in the book?
5. How is the schoolroom the children find in the attic described?
6. What is the nature of the mean speech the grandmother gives to the children in Chapter 5?
7. How does the Mother try to encourage Cathy's love of dance in Chapter 8?
8. How does the mother tell the children she plans on earning a living in Chapter 6?
9. How does Cathy react when her mother comes into the attic in sailing clothes?
10. What happens when the twins come down with a cold in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the dual nature of the grandmother that is portrayed in the book. What do you think is the grandmother's true feelings regarding the children, based on her mixture of punishment and occasional compassion in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Rules are integral part of the children's lives in the mansion, and also tell a lot about the nature of the grandmother's character. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the grandmother based on the rules she makes the children adhere to? Part 2.) What impact do the rules of the mansion have on the way the children grow up? Part 3.) What flaws are present in the rules of the mansion, and why is the grandmother not able to recognize this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of puberty in the book. How was Chris and Cathy's experience with puberty flawed due to their being locked in the attic together?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)