|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 2?
2. Who becomes difficult to deal with in the attic, in Chapter 7?
3. How many siblings does the children's mother have?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. Who attacks the Mother when she comes to visit the children, dressed in sailing clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mother tell the children how she and Christopher acted after they first begin dating?
2. What does the Mother reveal about the grandfather to her children at the end of Chapter 7?
3. How does the grandmother show a small amount of compassion towards the children in Chapter 8?
4. How does the Mother try to encourage Cathy's love of dance in Chapter 8?
5. How is the layout of the attic first described in the book?
6. How does Chris help Cathy deal with the twins in Chapter 7?
7. What does Cathy wish about her grandfather at the end of Chapter 3?
8. What do Chris and Cathy realize about their bodies in Chapter 8?
9. What is the nature of the grandmother's speech to the children at the end of Chapter 2?
10. What is the nature of the mean speech the grandmother gives to the children in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is a harsh reality that the children face on a nearly daily basis due to the treatment from their grandmother, their mother, and their overall surroundings.Part 1.) What role does violence play in the lives of the children in the attic? Part 2.) What is telling about the nature of the grandmother based on the acts of violence she shows the children and their mother in the book? Part 3.) Why does the Mother choose to use violence against her children after being subjected to it herself?
Essay Topic 2
Religion is an important theme in the book and is heavily represented in the grandmother's character, as well as her rules. Part 1.) How do the children appear to feel about religion, given their actions when the grandmother demands they memorize Bible verses? Part 2.) What role does religion play in the grandmother's actions in the book? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about religion based on her portrayal of the children's grandparents in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in the book. How is irony present in the formation of Chris and Cathy's relationship after the grandmother demanded that they adhere to her rules?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)