|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 2?
2. What does the Mother say her father expressed when she told him she had no children with her late husband?
3. What does the Mother tell her children they are not in Chapter 6?
4. What wing of the mansion do the children find they will live in, once they arrive at their grandparents' house?
5. Who begins to scream when the grandmother gives a mean speech to the children in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother describe the children's father the first time she met him?
2. How is the Mother's childhood home described when the children see it for the first time?
3. How does Chris try to make the attic more enjoyable for the twins in Chapter 4?
4. How does the mother tell the children she plans on earning a living in Chapter 6?
5. How does Chris help Cathy deal with the twins in Chapter 7?
6. What do the children do with the art supplies their mother brings them in Chapter 8?
7. What does Cathy wish about her grandfather at the end of Chapter 3?
8. How is the layout of the attic first described in the book?
9. How is the Dollanganger family accepted at Foxworth Hall when they first arrive there?
10. What is the nature of the grandmother's speech to the children at the end of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rules are integral part of the children's lives in the mansion, and also tell a lot about the nature of the grandmother's character. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of the grandmother based on the rules she makes the children adhere to? Part 2.) What impact do the rules of the mansion have on the way the children grow up? Part 3.) What flaws are present in the rules of the mansion, and why is the grandmother not able to recognize this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of jealousy in the book. What is telling about Chris' nature based on his jealous actions regarding Cathy in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Violence is a harsh reality that the children face on a nearly daily basis due to the treatment from their grandmother, their mother, and their overall surroundings.Part 1.) What role does violence play in the lives of the children in the attic? Part 2.) What is telling about the nature of the grandmother based on the acts of violence she shows the children and their mother in the book? Part 3.) Why does the Mother choose to use violence against her children after being subjected to it herself?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)