|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the person who bites the grandmother in Chapter 5 inflict the wound?
2. How does the children's mother describe their father the first time she saw him?
3. What does the children's mother tell them they have none of in Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of the children's mother's childhood home?
5. How old is the Dollanganger children's father when he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mother describe the children's father the first time she met him?
2. How do the children react to the grandmother's demand that they study the Bible?
3. How does the Mother tell the children her parents reacted when they found out that she was having a relationship with Christopher?
4. What is the nature of the grandmother's speech to the children at the end of Chapter 2?
5. How does the Mother try to encourage Cathy's love of dance in Chapter 8?
6. How does Chris help Cathy deal with the twins in Chapter 7?
7. How is the schoolroom the children find in the attic described?
8. What does the Dollanganger children's mother tell them about her father in Chapter 1?
9. How is the Dollanganger family accepted at Foxworth Hall when they first arrive there?
10. How does Cathy react when she learns her mother is having a baby in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wealth is an important theme throughout much of the book and controls how many of the characters act. Part 1.) What role does money play in the mother's life and why does she appear to need it so badly? Part 2.) How does the grandmother use her wealth as a way of controlling the Mother and the children? Part 3.) Based on the impact wealth plays in the lives of the book's characters, what conclusion might the author want the reader to come to regarding the nature of wealth?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of death that is presented in the book. What impact did Cory's death have on you as the reader? What does the mother's reaction to his death say about her ultimate motivations at the mansion?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is one topic the author examines in the book through the children's relationship with their mother. Part 1.) What is telling of Chris' nature based on his loyalty towards his mother after they are imprisoned? Part 2.) Why doesn't Cathy show the same loyalty to her mother as Chris does? Part 3.) What might the author be saying about the nature of loyalty based on the portrayal of the children's loyalty breaking in the book?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)