|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands that the Mother take the sick child to the doctor in Chapter 9?
2. Which of her relatives does the children's mother say is very wealthy?
3. How did the Mother's parents react when they discovered her relationship with Christopher?
4. What does the Mother say her father expressed when she told him she had no children with her late husband?
5. Who does the grandmother show the children she has whipped at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the layout of the attic first described in the book?
2. How do the children react to the grandmother's demand that they study the Bible?
3. Describe the condition of the Mother at the beginning of Chapter 5.
4. How does the Mother tell the children her parents reacted when they found out that she was having a relationship with Christopher?
5. How does the mother describe the children's father the first time she met him?
6. How does the Mother try to encourage Cathy's love of dance in Chapter 8?
7. How is the schoolroom the children find in the attic described?
8. What does the Dollanganger children's mother tell them about her father in Chapter 1?
9. How does the grandmother show a small amount of compassion towards the children in Chapter 8?
10. What is the nature of the mean speech the grandmother gives to the children in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of sex that is portrayed in the book. How do Chris and Cathy's views of sex become misconstrued when they are forced to teach themselves about the act together?
Essay Topic 2
Wealth is an important theme throughout much of the book and controls how many of the characters act. Part 1.) What role does money play in the mother's life and why does she appear to need it so badly? Part 2.) How does the grandmother use her wealth as a way of controlling the Mother and the children? Part 3.) Based on the impact wealth plays in the lives of the book's characters, what conclusion might the author want the reader to come to regarding the nature of wealth?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of trust that is presented in the book. How does the mother continue to gain her children's trust even after they have been locked away in the attic for a year?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)