|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grandmother ask the children to have memorized in Chapter 7?
2. Where do the twins demand to go after they show disinterest in being in the attic?
3. What does the Mother say her father expressed when she told him she had no children with her late husband?
4. What is the title of Chapter 6?
5. Who bites the grandmother during an altercation with her in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Dollanganger children's father die in the book?
2. How does the mother describe the children's father the first time she met him?
3. How is the schoolroom the children find in the attic described?
4. What happens when the twins come down with a cold in Chapter 9?
5. How is the Dollanganger family's trip to Virginia described in the book?
6. How do the children react to the grandmother's demand that they study the Bible?
7. How does Chris help Cathy deal with the twins in Chapter 7?
8. What is the nature of the list of rules the grandmother gives the children on their first day at Foxworth Hall?
9. How does Cathy react when she learns her mother is having a baby in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the condition of the Mother at the beginning of Chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of sex that is portrayed in the book. How do Chris and Cathy's views of sex become misconstrued when they are forced to teach themselves about the act together?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of trust that is presented in the book. How does the mother continue to gain her children's trust even after they have been locked away in the attic for a year?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of idolization in the book. What reason does Chris have for idolizing his mother and Cathy to such an extreme degree in the book?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)