|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Amish have a tradition of _________ people who misbehave or who break the law within their tradition.
2. A person can realize that forcing their ___________ upon external situations is often fruitless for them.
3. The second group of people who are faced with stress tend to ______________ when faced with it.
4. Daydreaming may take focus from the task at hand, it can encourage the dreamer to strengthen mental pursuits and expand the __________.
5. One might think that if a job was structured to mirror a __________, then more people would be enthusiastic.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of animals does the author say that humans are by nature?
2. What does each person have to determine for himself in relation to work and how much to work?
3. What does it mean when someone overcomes adversity without any gathering of material possessions?
4. How does a person prevent himself from having to dwell on negative thoughts in the brain?
5. What becomes a distant memory as the economy demands more of a person's time at work?
6. Despite all that has been determined about happiness, what do some people believe are the only things needed for happiness?
7. Why might turning down a promotion to a higher paying job be a better idea for some?
8. What are the two basic responses to stress that people tend to fall into when they are faced with such a challenge?
9. What happens to those people in a society who are shunned and taken out of the community where they live?
10. What does the author believe happens when the mind doesn't have any real demands for its attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flow can also be generated in the mind, not just in the body through physical activities.
Part 1: Why do you think flow is easier to find during physical activities?
Part 2: How do you think the mind can begin to achieve flow on a regular basis?
Part 3: In what ways do you think you strive to find flow in your own life?
Essay Topic 2
The author asserts that children can be taught from a young age to learn how to create flow in their lives.
Part 1: Do you think the children are naturally better at finding flow in their lives? Why?
Part 2: How do you think a parent could help a child find flow in their lives?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important to help children learn to find flow in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Freud said that people need to have love and work in order to be happy in their lives.
Part 1: Why is work an important part of being happy according to Freud?
Part 2: Why is love an important part of being happy according to Freud?
Part 3: Do you think you need love and work to be happy? Why? Why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)