|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Solitude is a great thing when you want to solve a problem or master a ____________, according to the author.
2. If memory were not a part of these past cultures, then the __________ nature of many of these cultures would have been lost.
3. For one that is struggling to make ends meet and to keep a roof over their head, striving for _________ may seem like a frivolous luxury.
4. The second group of people who are faced with stress tend to ______________ when faced with it.
5. Freud states quite simply that the recipe for happiness in life was ___________ and work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author believe happens when the mind doesn't have any real demands for its attention?
2. Why does the author say that work is necessarily for a person in this world?
3. What is the one most complex and rewarding relationships one will ever deal with?
4. What does each person have to determine for himself in relation to work and how much to work?
5. What are the two basic responses to stress that people tend to fall into when they are faced with such a challenge?
6. What does striving for flow seem like for a person who is having trouble making ends meet in his life?
7. What does it mean when someone overcomes adversity without any gathering of material possessions?
8. What can the use of one's memory help a person do in his life?
9. What kind of animals does the author say that humans are by nature?
10. What becomes a distant memory as the economy demands more of a person's time at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author says that in order to change the world, one must change himself first.
Part 1: Do you agree with the statement of the author? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think people could begin to change themselves in order to change the world?
Part 3: Why do you think that some people believe that everyone else has to change for them?
Essay Topic 2
Changing your reaction to the events in your life that upset you can lead to happiness even in the face of trauma.
Part 1: Why do you think changing your reaction is a way to create happiness?
Part 2: Do you think it's easy to change your reaction to difficult situations?
Part 3: How can one learn to change their reactions to situations? Or can't they? Is this an inherent quality of only some people?
Essay Topic 3
Freud said that people need to have love and work in order to be happy in their lives.
Part 1: Why is work an important part of being happy according to Freud?
Part 2: Why is love an important part of being happy according to Freud?
Part 3: Do you think you need love and work to be happy? Why? Why not?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)