|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Alice in Part Four: West 76th-Mother?
2. What does Mother call her home in Part Four?
3. Who does Mother blame for the circumstances of her life?
4. What secret wish does Alice express after Nonna's funeral?
5. Why does Alice first return to the Big House years after leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mother remind Alice of Nonna during her time at the Birdcage?
2. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
3. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
4. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
5. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
6. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
7. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
8. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
9. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
10. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
Essay Topic 2
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of creativity, art and literature in Florida.
1)Compare and contrast the way that Father, Alice and Mr. Early use literature in their lives.
2) Do Mother's artistic talents contribute in any meaningful ways to the lives of anyone in the story?
3) How does Alice use her own literary talents in a meaningful way?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)