|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice express to Mother during their conversation about Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy in Part Three: West 76th Street?
2. What type of a place is the location where Mother lives in Part Four?
3. How does Walter respond when Alice asks him to move out of her brownstone?
4. How do Alice and her Walter each deal with their troubled relationship?
5. What is the last word that Mother speaks in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
2. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
3. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
4. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
5. How does Mother remind Alice of Nonna during her time at the Birdcage?
6. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
7. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
8. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
9. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
10. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think 15-year-old Alice's behavior of staying out late and being involved with boys is understandable, immoral or risky? Explain your answers to each of these three judgments with evidence from the story and your own personal opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of creativity, art and literature in Florida.
1)Compare and contrast the way that Father, Alice and Mr. Early use literature in their lives.
2) Do Mother's artistic talents contribute in any meaningful ways to the lives of anyone in the story?
3) How does Alice use her own literary talents in a meaningful way?
Essay Topic 3
Father's vision of Florida as an escape and symbol of hope lives on through Alice and Mother long after his death.
1) Does Alice's vision of hope and paradise change as she gets older? Explain.
2) How do Mother's sun box and the San allow Mother and Alice to continue their Florida fantasy?
3) Why don't Mother or Alice actually ever go to Florida?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)