|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last word that Mother speaks in the novel?
2. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
3. What does Alice do at the end of Part Two:The Big House- Arthur?
4. How does Alice say she misses her mother?
5. Who does Alice live with at the brownstone at West 76th Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
2. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
3. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
4. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
5. Is it right for Alice to ask her Mother to sign over access to Mother's trust fund?
6. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
7. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
8. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
9. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
10. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is a constant theme in Florida. Answer the following questions regarding money.
1) Why is Alice so quick to pay her Walter to leave?
2) How would the story be different if Alice's family was poor instead of wealthy?
3) Would Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy still be as greedy if they did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Alice has multiple parental figures, good and bad, in Florida. Answer the following questions using examples from the story.
Who is a better mother: Mother or Nonna?
Who is a better father figure for Alice: Mr. Early or Arthur?
Essay Topic 3
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)