|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Early?
2. What does Alice want to draw?
3. What does Alice say that Nonna felt about her children?
4. What secret wish does Alice express after Nonna's funeral?
5. Where does Mother live at the time of Nonna's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
2. Describe Alice's Walter.
3. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
4. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
5. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
6. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
7. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
8. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
9. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
10. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
Essay Topic 2
What motivates the greed, if you think they are greedy, of the following characters in the story: Uncle Billy, Alice, Mother, Aunt Frances?
Essay Topic 3
Defining home and a place she belongs is not easy for Alice.
1) Compare and contrast the brownstone and Uncle Billy's house as homes for Alice.
2) Of all the places Alice lives, choose the two that most and least feel like home. Explain your reasoning.
3) Analyze the extent to which having Mother present is necessary for a house to feel like home to Alice at different times in her life.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)