|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
2. Where does Alice say that Father is buried?
3. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
4. What does Alice do at the end of Part Two:The Big House- Arthur?
5. What does Alice say that Nonna felt about her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
2. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
3. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
4. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
5. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
6. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
7. Describe Alice's Walter.
8. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
9. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
10. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of Florida is illustrated through the power of contrast. Select two of the pairings below. Compare and contrast the people, places or events and discuss how the resulting contrasts are used to develop characters or plot lines:
Father and Walter.
The Big House and the San.
Mr. Early and Father.
Life before Father's death and life after Father's Death.
Florida and New York, or Florida and Tuscon.
Aunt Frances and Mother.
Aunt Frances and the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is seen in both Mother's fondness for naming things and in the use of locations as chapter titles.
1) Compare and contrast the Emerald Gem and the Mouse.
2) How do Arlette's stories differ from the Big House chapters?
3) Define Mother via these items: the Magnavox, the sun box, and her lost glove.
Essay Topic 3
Defining home and a place she belongs is not easy for Alice.
1) Compare and contrast the brownstone and Uncle Billy's house as homes for Alice.
2) Of all the places Alice lives, choose the two that most and least feel like home. Explain your reasoning.
3) Analyze the extent to which having Mother present is necessary for a house to feel like home to Alice at different times in her life.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)