|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice enjoy?
2. How do Alice and her Walter each deal with their troubled relationship?
3. Why does Alice first return to the Big House years after leaving?
4. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
5. How does Alice say she misses her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
2. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
3. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
4. Is it right for Alice to ask her Mother to sign over access to Mother's trust fund?
5. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
6. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
7. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
8. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
9. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
10. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fiveys seem to struggle to communicate with one another.
1) How is Nonna's inability to speak reflect on the Fiveys?
2) How do different members of Alice's family attempt to communicate their love for each other?
3) Which member of the family is the best and worst communicator? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Fivey family legacy? What legacy does Father leave to Alice? To what degree does each character choose to accept or reject the legacy they are given?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story struggle to be treated with dignity and respect and to treat themselves with self-respect. Answer the following questions with that fact in mind.
1) Which characters in the novel does Alice treat with the greatest and least amount of respect?
2) Which characters in the novel have the most and least self-respect?
3) What factors seem to indicate whether a character is treated with respect or not? Consider things like age, money, treatment of others, etc.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)