|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice's Walter die?
2. Who does she think of to balance her thoughts of the hurtful people in her life?
3. What does Alice want to draw?
4. Where does Alice stay during Arthur's funeral?
5. How does Alice feel about Mr. Early?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
2. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
3. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
4. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
5. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
6. Describe Alice's Walter.
7. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
8. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
9. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
10. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is a constant theme in Florida. Answer the following questions regarding money.
1) Why is Alice so quick to pay her Walter to leave?
2) How would the story be different if Alice's family was poor instead of wealthy?
3) Would Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy still be as greedy if they did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in Florida seem to act the way they do because of painful experiences in their lives. Select three of the following characters. For each, describe the pain that leads them to act and behave in the manner they do and analyze the amount of power they have to choose differently: Mother, Alice, Walter, Nonna, Uncle Billy, the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the following events contributed to Alice's coming of age in the novel.
1) Mother going to the San.
2) Moving to the Big House.
3) Arthur's death.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)