|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Alice and Mr. Early keep in touch until his death?
2. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
3. What does Alice ask Mother to sign in Part Four?
4. What is true of Alice's boyfriend?
5. Who pays for Arthur's funeral arrangements?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
2. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
3. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
4. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
5. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
6. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
7. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
8. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
9. Is it right for Alice to ask her Mother to sign over access to Mother's trust fund?
10. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice and Mother are the most central characters of the novel.
1) Explain how the power of their shared names impacts both figures.
2) Who is more strongly affected by her own mother: Mother or Alice? Explain.
3) Is Mother or Alice a more generous person? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think 15-year-old Alice's behavior of staying out late and being involved with boys is understandable, immoral or risky? Explain your answers to each of these three judgments with evidence from the story and your own personal opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The Fiveys seem to struggle to communicate with one another.
1) How is Nonna's inability to speak reflect on the Fiveys?
2) How do different members of Alice's family attempt to communicate their love for each other?
3) Which member of the family is the best and worst communicator? Explain your answer.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)