|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
2. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
3. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
4. What item of Uncle Billy's does Alice show to Mother in Part Four?
5. What does Alice say was Nonna's opinion of Father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
2. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
3. Is it right for Alice to ask her Mother to sign over access to Mother's trust fund?
4. How does Mother remind Alice of Nonna during her time at the Birdcage?
5. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
6. Describe Alice's Walter.
7. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
8. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
9. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
10. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fates of several characters in the book seem to be tied to their will to live and capacity for hope. Evaluate each of the following characters based on those criteria: Mother, Father, Arthur, Alice's Walter, and Alice.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think 15-year-old Alice's behavior of staying out late and being involved with boys is understandable, immoral or risky? Explain your answers to each of these three judgments with evidence from the story and your own personal opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Art is used many times in the novel, for a variety of purposes. For each instance listed below, explain it's significance to the novel and analyze the purpose the author intended.
Mother's straw box creations.
Uncle Billy's collections.
Alice's love of literature.
Mr. Early's love of poetry.
Nonna's valuable artwork.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)