Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
2. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
3. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
4. How does Alice's Walter die?
5. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in Florida seem to act the way they do because of painful experiences in their lives. Select three of the following characters. For each, describe the pain that leads them to act and behave in the manner they do and analyze the amount of power they have to choose differently: Mother, Alice, Walter, Nonna, Uncle Billy, the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in the story struggle to be treated with dignity and respect and to treat themselves with self-respect. Answer the following questions with that fact in mind.
1) Which characters in the novel does Alice treat with the greatest and least amount of respect?
2) Which characters in the novel have the most and least self-respect?
3) What factors seem to indicate whether a character is treated with respect or not? Consider things like age, money, treatment of others, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Much of Florida is illustrated through the power of contrast. Select two of the pairings below. Compare and contrast the people, places or events and discuss how the resulting contrasts are used to develop characters or plot lines:
Father and Walter.
The Big House and the San.
Mr. Early and Father.
Life before Father's death and life after Father's Death.
Florida and New York, or Florida and Tuscon.
Aunt Frances and Mother.
Aunt Frances and the Unreliables.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)