|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Alice say she neglected to keep to Mr. Early?
2. Who is Arthur driving when he dies?
3. How do Alice and her Walter each deal with their troubled relationship?
4. What does one of Mother's friends ask Alice about?
5. How does Alice describe Mr. Early when he taught high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
2. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
3. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
4. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
5. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
6. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
7. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
8. Describe Alice's Walter.
9. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
10. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is a constant theme in Florida. Answer the following questions regarding money.
1) Why is Alice so quick to pay her Walter to leave?
2) How would the story be different if Alice's family was poor instead of wealthy?
3) Would Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy still be as greedy if they did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Art is used many times in the novel, for a variety of purposes. For each instance listed below, explain it's significance to the novel and analyze the purpose the author intended.
Mother's straw box creations.
Uncle Billy's collections.
Alice's love of literature.
Mr. Early's love of poetry.
Nonna's valuable artwork.
Essay Topic 3
The Fiveys seem to struggle to communicate with one another.
1) How is Nonna's inability to speak reflect on the Fiveys?
2) How do different members of Alice's family attempt to communicate their love for each other?
3) Which member of the family is the best and worst communicator? Explain your answer.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)