|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Early notice about Alice?
2. What does Alice ask Mother to sign in Part Four?
3. What does Alice enjoy?
4. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
5. Where does Alice stay during Arthur's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
2. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
3. How does Mother remind Alice of Nonna during her time at the Birdcage?
4. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
5. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
6. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
7. Describe Alice's Walter.
8. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
9. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
10. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in Florida seem to act the way they do because of painful experiences in their lives. Select three of the following characters. For each, describe the pain that leads them to act and behave in the manner they do and analyze the amount of power they have to choose differently: Mother, Alice, Walter, Nonna, Uncle Billy, the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of creativity, art and literature in Florida.
1)Compare and contrast the way that Father, Alice and Mr. Early use literature in their lives.
2) Do Mother's artistic talents contribute in any meaningful ways to the lives of anyone in the story?
3) How does Alice use her own literary talents in a meaningful way?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates the greed, if you think they are greedy, of the following characters in the story: Uncle Billy, Alice, Mother, Aunt Frances?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)