|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother live with when Alice goes to visit her after Nonna's funeral?
2. What is the last word that Mother speaks in the novel?
3. What does Alice say was Nonna's opinion of Father?
4. What was Mr. Early doing when he died?
5. What does Alice say she is hoping for in the chapter labeled Short Identifications?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
2. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
3. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
4. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
5. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
6. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
7. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
8. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
9. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
10. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
Essay Topic 2
Alice has multiple parental figures, good and bad, in Florida. Answer the following questions using examples from the story.
Who is a better mother: Mother or Nonna?
Who is a better father figure for Alice: Mr. Early or Arthur?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story struggle to be treated with dignity and respect and to treat themselves with self-respect. Answer the following questions with that fact in mind.
1) Which characters in the novel does Alice treat with the greatest and least amount of respect?
2) Which characters in the novel have the most and least self-respect?
3) What factors seem to indicate whether a character is treated with respect or not? Consider things like age, money, treatment of others, etc.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)