|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice feel about Mr. Early?
2. What does Alice do with some of her inheritance?
3. How does Alice's Walter die?
4. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
5. What health problem does Uncle Billy have in the last part of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
2. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
3. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
4. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
5. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
6. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
7. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
8. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
9. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
10. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice has multiple parental figures, good and bad, in Florida. Answer the following questions using examples from the story.
Who is a better mother: Mother or Nonna?
Who is a better father figure for Alice: Mr. Early or Arthur?
Essay Topic 2
Alice and Mother are the most central characters of the novel.
1) Explain how the power of their shared names impacts both figures.
2) Who is more strongly affected by her own mother: Mother or Alice? Explain.
3) Is Mother or Alice a more generous person? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)