|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice say that Nonna felt about her children?
2. Who is Mr. Early?
3. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
4. What kind of poets does Alice say Father liked?
5. What does Alice ask Mother to sign in Part Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
2. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
3. Describe Alice's Walter.
4. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
5. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
6. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
7. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
8. Why does Mother tell people that Father was a sculptor?
9. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
10. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money is a constant theme in Florida. Answer the following questions regarding money.
1) Why is Alice so quick to pay her Walter to leave?
2) How would the story be different if Alice's family was poor instead of wealthy?
3) Would Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy still be as greedy if they did not have money?
Essay Topic 2
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
Essay Topic 3
Father's vision of Florida as an escape and symbol of hope lives on through Alice and Mother long after his death.
1) Does Alice's vision of hope and paradise change as she gets older? Explain.
2) How do Mother's sun box and the San allow Mother and Alice to continue their Florida fantasy?
3) Why don't Mother or Alice actually ever go to Florida?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)