|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
2. What kind of poets does Alice say Father liked?
3. Who replaces Arthur?
4. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
5. How is Nonna described in Part Two:The Big House-Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art is used many times in the novel, for a variety of purposes. For each instance listed below, explain it's significance to the novel and analyze the purpose the author intended.
Mother's straw box creations.
Uncle Billy's collections.
Alice's love of literature.
Mr. Early's love of poetry.
Nonna's valuable artwork.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is seen in both Mother's fondness for naming things and in the use of locations as chapter titles.
1) Compare and contrast the Emerald Gem and the Mouse.
2) How do Arlette's stories differ from the Big House chapters?
3) Define Mother via these items: the Magnavox, the sun box, and her lost glove.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Fivey family legacy? What legacy does Father leave to Alice? To what degree does each character choose to accept or reject the legacy they are given?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)