|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
2. Where does Alice stay during Arthur's funeral?
3. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
4. What does Alice do at the end of Part Two:The Big House- Arthur?
5. What does Mother call her home in Part Four?
Essay Topic 1
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
Essay Topic 2
Alice and Mother are the most central characters of the novel.
1) Explain how the power of their shared names impacts both figures.
2) Who is more strongly affected by her own mother: Mother or Alice? Explain.
3) Is Mother or Alice a more generous person? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in Florida seem to act the way they do because of painful experiences in their lives. Select three of the following characters. For each, describe the pain that leads them to act and behave in the manner they do and analyze the amount of power they have to choose differently: Mother, Alice, Walter, Nonna, Uncle Billy, the Unreliables.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)