|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
2. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
3. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
4. How does Alice's Walter die?
5. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in Florida seem to act the way they do because of painful experiences in their lives. Select three of the following characters. For each, describe the pain that leads them to act and behave in the manner they do and analyze the amount of power they have to choose differently: Mother, Alice, Walter, Nonna, Uncle Billy, the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is seen in both Mother's fondness for naming things and in the use of locations as chapter titles.
1) Compare and contrast the Emerald Gem and the Mouse.
2) How do Arlette's stories differ from the Big House chapters?
3) Define Mother via these items: the Magnavox, the sun box, and her lost glove.
Essay Topic 3
Alice has multiple parental figures, good and bad, in Florida. Answer the following questions using examples from the story.
Who is a better mother: Mother or Nonna?
Who is a better father figure for Alice: Mr. Early or Arthur?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)