|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Arthur's funeral arrangements?
2. How does Alice describe Mr. Early when he taught high school?
3. What does Alice say was Nonna's opinion of Father?
4. How does Alice's Walter die?
5. What does Mother say was true of Nonna's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
2. Describe the role of poetry in Alice's life.
3. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
4. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
5. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
6. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
7. How does Mother remind Alice of Nonna during her time at the Birdcage?
8. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
9. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
10. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Art is used many times in the novel, for a variety of purposes. For each instance listed below, explain it's significance to the novel and analyze the purpose the author intended.
Mother's straw box creations.
Uncle Billy's collections.
Alice's love of literature.
Mr. Early's love of poetry.
Nonna's valuable artwork.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think 15-year-old Alice's behavior of staying out late and being involved with boys is understandable, immoral or risky? Explain your answers to each of these three judgments with evidence from the story and your own personal opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Does a setting create a character's experience or does a character impact and create parts of their setting? Using specific examples from the story, analyze the impact of setting on Alice in Florida.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)