Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
2. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
3. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
4. How does Alice's Walter die?
5. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
Essay Topic 1
Art is used many times in the novel, for a variety of purposes. For each instance listed below, explain it's significance to the novel and analyze the purpose the author intended.
Mother's straw box creations.
Uncle Billy's collections.
Alice's love of literature.
Mr. Early's love of poetry.
Nonna's valuable artwork.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think 15-year-old Alice's behavior of staying out late and being involved with boys is understandable, immoral or risky? Explain your answers to each of these three judgments with evidence from the story and your own personal opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Father's vision of Florida as an escape and symbol of hope lives on through Alice and Mother long after his death.
1) Does Alice's vision of hope and paradise change as she gets older? Explain.
2) How do Mother's sun box and the San allow Mother and Alice to continue their Florida fantasy?
3) Why don't Mother or Alice actually ever go to Florida?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)