|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Alice have when she visits Mother after Nonna's funeral?
2. What does Mother say was true of Nonna's husband?
3. What item of Uncle Billy's does Alice show to Mother in Part Four?
4. How did Alice and Mr. Early keep in touch until his death?
5. Alice quotes someone, maybe her father, as saying, "A man sounds like money when he-"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alice repeat her mother's mistakes?
2. Is Alice happy at the end of the story?
3. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
4. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
5. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
6. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
7. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
8. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
9. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
10. Who is the most positive father figure in Alice's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
Essay Topic 2
Money is a constant theme in Florida. Answer the following questions regarding money.
1) Why is Alice so quick to pay her Walter to leave?
2) How would the story be different if Alice's family was poor instead of wealthy?
3) Would Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy still be as greedy if they did not have money?
Essay Topic 3
The fates of several characters in the book seem to be tied to their will to live and capacity for hope. Evaluate each of the following characters based on those criteria: Mother, Father, Arthur, Alice's Walter, and Alice.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)