|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Arthur's funeral arrangements?
2. Who is Mr. Early?
3. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
4. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
5. Who does Mother blame for the circumstances of her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
2. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
3. Describe the circumstances of Arthur's death.
4. Describe Alice's coping mechanism for dealing with hurtful memories of people in her past.
5. What is the impact of Mr. Early's death on Alice?
6. How has Mother and Alice's relationship changed when they are living on different coasts?
7. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
8. Is Mother's interpretation of father's death believable?
9. Was living with Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances good for Alice?
10. Describe the relationship between Mother and Nonna.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Fiveys seem to struggle to communicate with one another.
1) How is Nonna's inability to speak reflect on the Fiveys?
2) How do different members of Alice's family attempt to communicate their love for each other?
3) Which member of the family is the best and worst communicator? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the Fivey family legacy? What legacy does Father leave to Alice? To what degree does each character choose to accept or reject the legacy they are given?
Essay Topic 3
What motivates the greed, if you think they are greedy, of the following characters in the story: Uncle Billy, Alice, Mother, Aunt Frances?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)