|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
2. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
3. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
4. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
5. What does Aunt Frances make Alice do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Aunt Frances selfish?
2. How does Alice feel about going back to live with Mother after she is institutionalized and Alice moves in with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
3. Does Uncle Billy love Alice?
4. Why does Alice call the San Mother's Florida?
5. Is Uncle Billy satisfied with his life?
6. Does Alice relate to the unreliables?
7. Describe the Big House.
8. How does Alice compare Walter and Father?
9. Why is Florida important to Alice?
10. Why are Mother's crystal glasses important to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Father's absence or Mr. Early's presence in Alice's life have a greater impact on the person she becomes by the end of the story? Write an analysis of this question and support your answer with specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Florida is illustrated through the power of contrast. Select two of the pairings below. Compare and contrast the people, places or events and discuss how the resulting contrasts are used to develop characters or plot lines:
Father and Walter.
The Big House and the San.
Mr. Early and Father.
Life before Father's death and life after Father's Death.
Florida and New York, or Florida and Tuscon.
Aunt Frances and Mother.
Aunt Frances and the Unreliables.
Essay Topic 3
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)