|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Billy tell Alice her mother needs?
2. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
3. What does Mother wear when Alice visits her at the San?
4. What best describes Nonna's social life?
5. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a person is Arlette?
2. What do you think Alice's family was like before her father's death, based on information in the first chapter of the book?
3. Why do you think Alice and her mother have the same name?
4. Why are the little gifts that Nonna gives to Alice important?
5. Explain if you believe that Alice is happy living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy.
6. Does Alice relate to the unreliables?
7. Describe Mother's unusual behavior in the first chapter of Florida.
8. Who are the primary influences in Alice's life when she is 15?
9. Is Alice a responsible teenager at age 15?
10. How is Arthur's presence during Mother's trip to the San in Part One: Mother-Arthur important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is seen in both Mother's fondness for naming things and in the use of locations as chapter titles.
1) Compare and contrast the Emerald Gem and the Mouse.
2) How do Arlette's stories differ from the Big House chapters?
3) Define Mother via these items: the Magnavox, the sun box, and her lost glove.
Essay Topic 2
The fates of several characters in the book seem to be tied to their will to live and capacity for hope. Evaluate each of the following characters based on those criteria: Mother, Father, Arthur, Alice's Walter, and Alice.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the following events contributed to Alice's coming of age in the novel.
1) Mother going to the San.
2) Moving to the Big House.
3) Arthur's death.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)