|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
2. Why does Alice ask Arthur to drive her to the San on a daily drive?
3. Who is Nonna?
4. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
5. What seems to be Arlette's role in the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Arthur's presence during Mother's trip to the San in Part One: Mother-Arthur important?
2. What kind of a person is Arlette?
3. Explain if you believe that Alice is happy living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy.
4. How does Arthur help to form an image of Mother?
5. Why do you think Mother makes such extravagant gifts for her family at Christmas?
6. Describe Walter's departure.
7. Is Alice destined to follow in Mother's footsteps?
8. How does Alice feel about going back to live with Mother after she is institutionalized and Alice moves in with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
9. Who are the primary influences in Alice's life when she is 15?
10. Why is Florida important to Alice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What motivates the greed, if you think they are greedy, of the following characters in the story: Uncle Billy, Alice, Mother, Aunt Frances?
Essay Topic 2
To what degree is Alice's life, personality and destiny shaped by her parents? Analyze the effects of nature, nurture, being a victim, and making choices in Alice's life.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Fivey family legacy? What legacy does Father leave to Alice? To what degree does each character choose to accept or reject the legacy they are given?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)