|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy live when Alice visits them in Part Four?
(c) The Big House.
2. Where does Alice go to visit Mother in Part Three: West 76th Street?
(c) A mental asylum.
(d) A hospital.
3. What job does Alice have when she visits Mother after Nonna's funeral?
(a) She is a waitress.
(b) She is a social worker.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a counselor.
4. What does Alice expect when she visits her mother in the last chapter?
(a) That Mother will be unable to speak.
(b) That she will pay more than she can afford for Mother's burial.
(c) That the nurses will have plans for Mother's room.
(d) That Mother will die.
5. What does Alice say she and her students mourn?
(a) A culture that appreciated words.
(b) Dead poets.
(c) Leather-bound books.
(d) A teacher like Mr. Early.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of poets does Alice say Father liked?
2. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
3. Where does Mother live at the time of Nonna's funeral?
4. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
5. Who replaces Arthur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the life that Alice creates for herself in New York.
2. Why is Nonna kinder to Alice than she is to Mother?
3. What is Alice's Florida when she is in high school?
4. Explain why Alice finds herself in a lawyer's office when she is 30-years-old.
5. Does Alice love Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances?
6. What does Mr. Early represent to Alice?
7. How is Arthur's death handled by Alice's family?
8. Describe Mother's life when Alice visits her in California.
9. Why does Mother live apart from the family in California in Part Three: The Big House?
10. Describe Alice's Walter.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)