|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who put coffee in their child's milk bottle?
(a) Arlette's neighbor.
(d) A woman mother meets at the San.
2. What is true about Father's death?
(a) Father was drinking.
(b) The train driver was drinking.
(c) It's a suspected suicide.
(d) It's a suspected murder.
3. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
(a) Drama and experience.
(b) She hopes to live in the Big House with Arthur.
(c) Nothing; she will have to live with Uncle Billy.
(d) An inheritance.
4. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
(b) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
(c) Job opportunities for an artist.
(d) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
5. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
(a) The woman Nonna works for.
(b) Nonna's nurse.
(c) Mother's nurse.
(d) Alice's social worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character trait best describes Walter?
2. Where does Alice go with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy for an annual trip?
3. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
4. How old is Alice when her father dies?
5. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Father a happy man?
2. How would you describe Mother's relationships with men?
3. Why do you think Mother makes such extravagant gifts for her family at Christmas?
4. Describe Alice's friendship with Arthur.
5. Do you think Father intended to take his family to Florida?
6. Describe some of Mother's strengths.
7. Explain the circumstances that lead to Alice becoming an orphan.
8. Is it good for Alice to spend time with Mother?
9. Who are the primary influences in Alice's life when she is 15?
10. What are Aunt Frances' priorities?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)