|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice expect when she visits her mother in the last chapter?
(a) That the nurses will have plans for Mother's room.
(b) That Mother will be unable to speak.
(c) That Mother will die.
(d) That she will pay more than she can afford for Mother's burial.
2. What does Mother say about Nonna's feelings for her children?
(a) That she was overprotective and worried constantly.
(b) That she only had room in her heart for Billy.
(c) That she resented both of her children.
(d) That she ignored both of her children.
3. What health problem does Uncle Billy have in the last part of the story?
(b) Heart problems.
(c) Breathing problems.
(d) Sleep Apnea.
4. What job does Alice have when she visits Mother after Nonna's funeral?
(a) She is a counselor.
(b) She is a waitress.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a social worker.
5. Who is Arthur driving when he dies?
(a) Uncle Billy.
(b) No one.
(c) Aunt Frances.
(d) A burn victim.
6. Where is Arthur headed when he dies?
(a) To a Garden Club Meeting.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To the hospital.
7. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
(a) For a walk around the lake.
(b) On a jeep ride to the mountains.
(c) On a boat tour.
(d) To visit Mother.
8. Who makes Alice a cake?
(a) Aunt Frances.
(b) Mrs. Early.
9. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
(a) Someone as messed up as me.
(c) Their money.
(d) Their touching ways.
10. What does Alice do with some of her inheritance?
(a) Buys an apartment in Manhattan.
(b) Pays for Mother's medical needs.
(c) Buys a house in Florida.
(d) Buys a house for Mother.
11. Why is Mother's appearance changed when Alice goes to visit her after Nonna's funeral?
(a) She has bulimia and has lost weight.
(b) She is bald from the chemotherapy.
(c) She has dyed her hair red.
(d) She is tanned and healthyl
12. What does Alice want to draw?
(a) The desert at sunset.
(b) Mother, as she used to be.
(c) Her aunt and uncle, their hands, their glasses.
(d) Her future.
13. How is Nonna described in Part Two:The Big House-Arthur?
(a) As being soft-hearted.
(b) As having a hardened heart.
(c) As being heartless.
(d) As having a heart of stone.
14. Who does Alice live with at the brownstone at West 76th Street?
(a) Walter, her husband.
(b) Gloria, her talking bird.
(c) Gloria, her roommate.
(d) Walter, her boyfriend.
15. Who does she think of to balance her thoughts of the hurtful people in her life?
(a) Arthur carrying her on his back.
(b) Her future children.
(c) Mr. Early and kind teachers.
(d) A storybook family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Alice in a lawyer's office?
2. What does Alice say that Nonna claimed Mother lied about?
3. Where does Alice stay during Arthur's funeral?
4. What does Alice express to Mother during their conversation about Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy in Part Three: West 76th Street?
5. How long does Alice believe it took for Father to die?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)