|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret wish does Alice express after Nonna's funeral?
(a) To have a child.
(b) To be a poet.
(c) To play with the philharmonic.
(d) To move to Florida.
2. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
(a) Who should pay his expenses.
(b) The reason he died.
(c) Where Arthur is buried.
(d) Who gets his Magnavox.
3. What is the last word that Mother speaks in the novel?
4. How does Alice's Walter die?
(a) He is hit by a Geryhound bus.
(b) He is killed by thugs over a gambling debt.
(c) He overdoses on Perdocan and Scotch.
(d) He has a sudden heart attack.
5. Why doesn't Mother attend the funeral in Part Three?
(a) She refuses to step foot in the Big House.
(b) She is not notified in time.
(c) She has been committed again.
(d) She has not forgiven the deceased.
6. Why does Alice first return to the Big House years after leaving?
(a) For Uncle Billy's funeral.
(b) To visit Mother.
(c) For Nonna's funeral.
(d) To auction off Nonna's remaining possessions.
7. How old is Alice in Part Four: West 76th-Mother?
(d) Twenty-eight, again.
8. Where do Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy live when Alice visits them in Part Four?
(a) The Big House.
9. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
(a) Someone as messed up as me.
(b) Their money.
(c) Their touching ways.
10. Who does Mother blame for the circumstances of her life?
(c) Her family.
11. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
(a) As eager to please.
(b) As spirited and energetic.
(c) As precocious, loud and boisterous.
(d) As shy and withdrawn.
12. What does Alice do at the end of Part Two:The Big House- Arthur?
(a) She hitchhikes to Florida.
(b) She moves out of The Big House.
(c) She steals one of Nonna's paintings to sell.
(d) She get a job taking tickets at the art museum.
13. Where does Alice stay during Arthur's funeral?
(a) With Arlette.
(b) At the Big House.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) At Uncle Billy's.
14. What does Mother tell Alice was found in Father's car after he died?
(a) His briefcase.
(b) A present for Mother.
(c) A brochure for Daytona Beach.
(d) A present for Alice.
15. What type of a place is the location where Mother lives in Part Four?
(a) A singles apartment.
(b) A trailer.
(c) A rehab clinic.
(d) A nursing home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice enjoy?
2. In the section labeled Father, what does Mother tell Alice to do with her remains when she dies?
3. What does Mr. Early encourage Alice to do?
4. Where is Arthur when he dies, according to events in Part Four?
5. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)