|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice expect when she visits her mother in the last chapter?
(a) That Mother will die.
(b) That Mother will be unable to speak.
(c) That she will pay more than she can afford for Mother's burial.
(d) That the nurses will have plans for Mother's room.
2. What job does Alice have when she visits Mother after Nonna's funeral?
(a) She is a waitress.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a counselor.
(d) She is a social worker.
3. What kind of poets does Alice say Father liked?
(a) Hairy, bearish and mad.
(b) Ivy league approved classics.
(c) Senseless men who spouted jibberish.
4. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
(a) To visit Mother.
(b) On a boat tour.
(c) For a walk around the lake.
(d) On a jeep ride to the mountains.
5. Who does she think of to balance her thoughts of the hurtful people in her life?
(a) Arthur carrying her on his back.
(b) Mr. Early and kind teachers.
(c) Her future children.
(d) A storybook family.
6. In the section labeled Father, what does Mother tell Alice to do with her remains when she dies?
(a) Bury her with Father.
(b) Bury her in the Fivey family plot.
(c) Scatter them anywhere.
(d) Scatter her remains near the water.
7. How does Alice feel about Mr. Early?
(a) She is very uncomfortable around him.
(b) She admires him and wants to follow in his footsteps.
(c) She has a crush on him.
(d) She wants to please him.
8. What one subject is mentioned that Nonna and Alice talk about?
(a) Mother and Father.
(b) The history of objects in The Big House.
(c) Mental asylums.
9. What does Alice enjoy?
(d) Playing the piano.
10. Who is Arthur driving when he dies?
(a) A burn victim.
(b) Uncle Billy.
(c) Aunt Frances.
(d) No one.
11. What does Alice do with some of her inheritance?
(a) Buys a house in Florida.
(b) Buys an apartment in Manhattan.
(c) Buys a house for Mother.
(d) Pays for Mother's medical needs.
12. What type of a place is the location where Mother lives in Part Four?
(a) A trailer.
(b) A singles apartment.
(c) A nursing home.
(d) A rehab clinic.
13. What health problem does Uncle Billy have in the last part of the story?
(a) Heart problems.
(b) Sleep Apnea.
(d) Breathing problems.
14. Who does Mother blame for the circumstances of her life?
(b) Her family.
15. What does Alice say that Nonna felt about her children?
(a) She adored her children.
(b) She never wanted to have children.
(c) She felt they deserved a better mother.
(d) She never wanted a second child.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice say she misses her mother?
2. Why is Alice in a lawyer's office?
3. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
4. Who does Mother live with when Alice goes to visit her after Nonna's funeral?
5. What was Mr. Early doing when he died?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)