|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice say was Nonna's opinion of Father?
(a) Upbeat and encouraging.
(b) Mopey and depressed.
(c) Too good for Mother.
(d) Artistic, but unrealistic.
2. What promise does Alice say she neglected to keep to Mr. Early?
(a) To take his class at a local college.
(b) To become a poet.
(c) To meet him for coffee.
(d) To attend his retirement party.
3. What does Alice argue with her aunt and uncle about after Arthur's death?
(a) Who gets his Magnavox.
(b) The reason he died.
(c) Where Arthur is buried.
(d) Who should pay his expenses.
4. What health problem does Uncle Billy have in the last part of the story?
(a) Heart problems.
(b) Breathing problems.
(c) Sleep Apnea.
5. What does Alice express to Mother during their conversation about Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy in Part Three: West 76th Street?
(a) Determination never to become like Mother.
(b) Relief that Mother lost custody of her.
(c) Anger that Mother lost custody of her.
(d) Gratitude for having Mother still in her life.
6. What does Aunt Frances confide to Alice during their last visit in the book?
(a) That she sometimes steals packs of gum.
(b) That she regrets being so strict with Alice.
(c) That she misses Uncle Billy.
(d) That she has cancer.
7. Why doesn't Mother attend the funeral in Part Three?
(a) She is not notified in time.
(b) She has not forgiven the deceased.
(c) She has been committed again.
(d) She refuses to step foot in the Big House.
8. Who does Alice live with at the brownstone at West 76th Street?
(a) Walter, her boyfriend.
(b) Gloria, her talking bird.
(c) Gloria, her roommate.
(d) Walter, her husband.
9. What does Alice want to draw?
(a) Her future.
(b) Her aunt and uncle, their hands, their glasses.
(c) Mother, as she used to be.
(d) The desert at sunset.
10. Alice quotes someone, maybe her father, as saying, "A man sounds like money when he-"
(a) Is aggressive and loud.
(b) Makes money.
(c) Wears expensive shoes.
(d) Speaks like a poet.
11. What does Mr. Early notice about Alice?
(a) That she shows a sensibility for literature.
(b) That she has an eye for art.
(c) That she looks and acts just like her mother.
(d) That she has a habit of going unnoticed.
12. How is Nonna described in Part Two:The Big House-Arthur?
(a) As having a hardened heart.
(b) As being heartless.
(c) As being soft-hearted.
(d) As having a heart of stone.
13. Who is Arthur driving when he dies?
(a) A burn victim.
(b) No one.
(c) Aunt Frances.
(d) Uncle Billy.
14. In the section labeled Father, what does Mother tell Alice to do with her remains when she dies?
(a) Scatter them anywhere.
(b) Scatter her remains near the water.
(c) Bury her in the Fivey family plot.
(d) Bury her with Father.
15. What does Mother say about Nonna's feelings for her children?
(a) That she ignored both of her children.
(b) That she was overprotective and worried constantly.
(c) That she only had room in her heart for Billy.
(d) That she resented both of her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alice first return to the Big House years after leaving?
2. Where does Alice say that Father is buried?
3. Where do Alice and Aunt Frances go together in the final chapter?
4. What does Alice say that Nonna claimed Mother lied about?
5. What was Mr. Early doing when he died?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)