|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice expect when she visits her mother in the last chapter?
(a) That Mother will be unable to speak.
(b) That the nurses will have plans for Mother's room.
(c) That she will pay more than she can afford for Mother's burial.
(d) That Mother will die.
2. Why doesn't Mother attend the funeral in Part Three?
(a) She has been committed again.
(b) She has not forgiven the deceased.
(c) She refuses to step foot in the Big House.
(d) She is not notified in time.
3. Why is Mother's appearance changed when Alice goes to visit her after Nonna's funeral?
(a) She is bald from the chemotherapy.
(b) She is tanned and healthyl
(c) She has bulimia and has lost weight.
(d) She has dyed her hair red.
4. What does Mother tell Alice was found in Father's car after he died?
(a) A present for Mother.
(b) His briefcase.
(c) A brochure for Daytona Beach.
(d) A present for Alice.
5. Who replaces Arthur?
(c) Mr. Lee.
6. Why is Alice in a lawyer's office?
(a) To deal with Nonna's estate.
(b) To figure out what she owes Walter's estate.
(c) To deal with Arhtur's estate.
(d) To avoid forecolsure on her brownstone.
7. How does Alice say she misses her mother?
(a) Like a fish misses a bicycle.
(b) The way I think I will miss her when she dies.
(c) Like a fish misses water.
(d) The way I miss a chair when I sit down.
8. Who does Mother live with when Alice goes to visit her after Nonna's funeral?
(a) Her cats.
(b) Aunt Frances.
(c) Another woman she met at the San.
(d) Mr. Early.
9. What does Alice say that Nonna claimed Mother lied about?
(a) Stealing Nonna's paintings.
(b) Nonna's husband having an affair.
(c) Secretly dating Father.
(d) Mother's abuse.
10. What does Mother say was true of Nonna's husband?
(a) He was a poet.
(b) He was a cruel and abusive man.
(c) He was devoted to Nonna.
(d) He had a mistress.
11. Where does Alice say that Father is buried?
(a) Near the church he attended.
(b) With his parents.
(c) In the plot adjacent to Nonna and her husband.
(d) Far from the church he attended.
12. Alice quotes someone, maybe her father, as saying, "A man sounds like money when he-"
(a) Speaks like a poet.
(b) Is aggressive and loud.
(c) Makes money.
(d) Wears expensive shoes.
13. Who does Mother blame for the circumstances of her life?
(d) Her family.
14. How does Alice describe Mr. Early when he taught high school?
(a) Dancing on his toes, whooping over the sounds the poet makes.
(b) An endless fountain of words, energy and hope.
(c) Bursting out of his ill fitting suit with prose and poetry.
(d) The unexpected man who no one recognizes once he speaks.
15. Who pays for Arthur's funeral arrangements?
(a) Alice sells her pearls to pay for it.
(b) Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances.
(c) Nonna's estate.
(d) Arthur had money set aside.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
2. What kind of poets does Alice say Father liked?
3. How is Nonna described in Part Two:The Big House-Arthur?
4. What was Mr. Early doing when he died?
5. How does Alice feel about Mr. Early?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)