|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alice say she misses her mother?
(a) The way I think I will miss her when she dies.
(b) Like a fish misses a bicycle.
(c) The way I miss a chair when I sit down.
(d) Like a fish misses water.
2. What secret wish does Alice express after Nonna's funeral?
(a) To move to Florida.
(b) To be a poet.
(c) To have a child.
(d) To play with the philharmonic.
3. What does Mother tell Alice was found in Father's car after he died?
(a) A brochure for Daytona Beach.
(b) A present for Mother.
(c) A present for Alice.
(d) His briefcase.
4. Who is Arthur driving when he dies?
(a) No one.
(b) Uncle Billy.
(c) A burn victim.
(d) Aunt Frances.
5. How do Nonna and Alice communicate?
(a) By writing on a spiral notepad.
(b) By writing on a slate.
(c) With Miss O'Boyle as a translator.
(d) With hand gestures.
6. What promise does Alice say she neglected to keep to Mr. Early?
(a) To attend his retirement party.
(b) To meet him for coffee.
(c) To become a poet.
(d) To take his class at a local college.
7. How does Alice say that Nonna described Mother?
(a) As eager to please.
(b) As spirited and energetic.
(c) As shy and withdrawn.
(d) As precocious, loud and boisterous.
8. What item of Uncle Billy's does Alice show to Mother in Part Four?
(a) A card he sent to Mother.
(b) An arrowhead from his collection.
(c) A milk punch recipe.
(d) His birthday card.
9. What does Alice say she is hoping for in the chapter labeled Short Identifications?
(a) A rich uncle from Madeira.
(b) A letter.
(c) A vacation.
(d) Money falling from the sky.
10. Why does Alice first return to the Big House years after leaving?
(a) For Nonna's funeral.
(b) For Uncle Billy's funeral.
(c) To auction off Nonna's remaining possessions.
(d) To visit Mother.
11. Why is Alice in a lawyer's office?
(a) To deal with Arhtur's estate.
(b) To deal with Nonna's estate.
(c) To figure out what she owes Walter's estate.
(d) To avoid forecolsure on her brownstone.
12. Who replaces Arthur?
(c) Mr. Lee.
13. Why doesn't Mother attend the funeral in Part Three?
(a) She has been committed again.
(b) She refuses to step foot in the Big House.
(c) She has not forgiven the deceased.
(d) She is not notified in time.
14. What was Mr. Early doing when he died?
(a) Reciting a poem.
(d) Marching in a parade.
15. What is true of Alice's boyfriend?
(a) He is older and very handsome.
(b) He is older and unattractive.
(c) He is younger and an athlete.
(d) He is younger and acne prone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice express to Mother during their conversation about Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy in Part Three: West 76th Street?
2. Who calls Alice to tell her about Mr. Early's death?
3. Where is Arthur when he dies, according to events in Part Four?
4. How does Uncle Billy believe that Father died?
5. What does Alice say she misses about men in the Any House chapter?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)