|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
(a) As a no-touch house.
(b) Like a showcase home.
(c) As a TV family house.
(d) Like a museum with off limit ropes.
2. What best describes Aunt Frances?
(a) Orderly and strict.
(b) Firm, but kind.
(c) Giving and loving.
(d) Uncertain and lacking confidence.
3. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To bake a fruit cake.
(b) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(c) To bake a banana bread.
(d) To make a wreath for Christmas.
4. What does Arlette suggest is the reason that Mother is mentally unstable?
(a) That Nonna dropped her on her head.
(c) That Nonna hit her with an oar.
(d) That she was neglected as a child.
5. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
(a) Creative and flamboyant.
(b) Thin and bulimic.
(d) Depressed and suicidal.
6. Who are the unreliables?
(a) Hired help.
(b) Locals on welfare.
(d) Door to door salesmen.
7. Where is Nonna's house located?
(a) Across the lake from Uncle Billy's house.
(b) In front of a vast expanse of protected government land.
(c) In the city, next to an art museum.
(d) Down the street from the San.
8. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
(a) He sells them at a pawn shop and gives her the money.
(b) He rehangs them in her bedroom.
(c) He writes his name on the back.
(d) He has them framed for her.
9. What is Walter's favorite drink?
(b) Ginger ale.
10. What does Mother wear on the last day Alice sees her in Part One (Mother-Arthur)?
(a) The fuzzy slippers.
(b) A normal looking tee shirt and jeans.
(c) The falling leaves coat.
(d) A formal ball gown.
11. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
(a) In Florida with a woman from the San.
(b) Someplace warm with a man from the San.
(c) At the Big House.
(d) With Arlette.
12. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
(a) That she pays well.
(b) That she is cruel.
(c) That she is glad to be rid of Alice.
(d) That she is like every white woman.
13. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) Nothing; she will have to live with Uncle Billy.
(c) She hopes to live in the Big House with Arthur.
(d) Drama and experience.
14. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
(a) She tosses them aside.
(b) She fusses over silly details.
(c) She calls them cheap.
(d) She beams with pride.
15. Where does Father die?
(a) In bed.
(b) In the ravine by the train tracks.
(c) In the river that flows under Main Street.
(d) In his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT something that Alice does in Tuscon?
2. How do the members of Mother's family react to the gifts she gives them at Christmas?
3. How is mother treated by her mother and other family members?
4. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
5. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)