|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Walter's favorite drink?
(d) Ginger ale.
2. Who is Nonna?
(a) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(b) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(c) Alice's grandmother.
(d) A foster mother.
3. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
(a) Life is embarrasing for Alice.
(b) Mother's seizures are getting worse.
(c) Mother's drinking.
(d) Life is unpredictable and unstable.
4. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
(b) Thin and bulimic.
(c) Depressed and suicidal.
(d) Creative and flamboyant.
5. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) A grandfather.
(b) An indentured servant.
(c) A part of the family.
(d) A slave.
6. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(a) Stupid and incompetent.
(b) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
(d) Needed and nurturing.
7. Who put coffee in their child's milk bottle?
(b) Arlette's neighbor.
(c) A woman mother meets at the San.
8. What does Alice say is one of her mother's unusual behaviors?
(a) Knocking on a doorway before entering a room.
(b) Obsessively turning the faucet off and on.
(c) Rubbing her back against walls.
(d) Licking her fingernails.
9. What best describes Aunt Frances?
(a) Giving and loving.
(b) Uncertain and lacking confidence.
(c) Firm, but kind.
(d) Orderly and strict.
10. Who is Arlette?
(a) Alice's best friend.
(b) Alice's cat.
(c) Her relationship is not defined.
(d) Mother's roommate at the San.
11. Where does Alice go with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy for an annual trip?
(b) Walt Disney Land.
(d) Lake Kerr.
12. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
(a) That she is glad to be rid of Alice.
(b) That she pays well.
(c) That she is cruel.
(d) That she is like every white woman.
13. Why does Miss O'Boyle say that Nonna 's eyes are almost always open, wet and watching?
(a) She watches her parrot.
(b) She doesn't trust Miss O'Boyle.
(c) She doesn't trust Alice.
(d) She doesn't want to miss anything.
14. What is true about Father's death?
(a) It's a suspected suicide.
(b) Father was drinking.
(c) It's a suspected murder.
(d) The train driver was drinking.
15. What best describes Walter's appearance?
(a) Fat and overgrown with hair.
(b) Disappointed mouth and Einstein hair.
(c) Losing hair and scruffy.
(d) Soft curves and sharp eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
2. What does Uncle Billy ask Alice at the party the summer that she is 12?
3. What does Arthur call Mother?
4. Who is Walter?
5. What does Alice compare her mother's trip to the San to?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)