|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing the unreliables take from Aunt Frances?
(b) Her television.
2. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(a) Expensive boutique clothing.
(b) Farewell letters.
(d) Homemade gifts.
3. What character trait best describes Walter?
4. What is Alice allowed to do with Mother's possessions as they are unpacked?
(a) Decide who to donate them to.
(b) Select one to keep in her room.
(c) Look, but not touch.
(d) Decide where to keep them.
5. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
(a) The woman Nonna works for.
(b) Alice's social worker.
(c) Nonna's nurse.
(d) Mother's nurse.
6. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
(a) Confused that Mother doesn't stay with her.
(b) Anger that good parents are taken away while bad parents pollute the earth.
(c) Relief that she is no longer abused.
(d) Grief; she barely gets out of bed.
7. Who says, "Here's to you, here's to me, here's to our new home!"?
8. What does Arthur do for mother?
(a) Mows her lawn.
(b) Buys her lunch.
(c) Carries her groceries.
(d) Drives her to the San.
9. How does Alice say that Arthur dies?
(b) He is murdered.
(c) A car accident.
(d) An accidental drowning.
10. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
(a) She calls them cheap.
(b) She fusses over silly details.
(c) She tosses them aside.
(d) She beams with pride.
11. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
(b) Aunt Frances' demands.
(d) Steroid medication.
12. Who is Nonna?
(a) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(b) A foster mother.
(c) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(d) Alice's grandmother.
13. What does Arthur call Mother?
(a) Miss Alice.
(b) Mrs. Bennet.
14. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
(a) As a TV family house.
(b) Like a museum with off limit ropes.
(c) Like a showcase home.
(d) As a no-touch house.
15. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(a) Her son, Raymond.
(b) Uncle Billy.
(c) Nonna takes care of it herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her father?
2. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
3. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
4. Where does Nonna sleep when Alice lives with her?
5. What does Alice promise herself in Part One, when she is 12?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)