|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother do to ordinary straw bags, as described in Part One?
(a) Turns them into masks.
(b) Makes party favors for Alice's birthday party.
(c) Weaves them with fishwire and ribbon.
(d) Makes them into stories with dollhouse trinkets.
2. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
(a) An entire Brittania encyclopedia set.
(b) A drawing of his favorite lake.
(c) A Magnavox stereo.
(d) Money for his medications.
3. What things does Alice mention that Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy give her?
(a) Cochina slippers and ruffled skirts.
(b) An iPod and a cell phone.
(c) A fancy computer and an ATM card.
(d) Turquoise jewelry and a birthstone ring.
4. What kind of music does Walter enjoy?
(a) Show tunes.
5. Who are the unreliables?
(a) Hired help.
(b) Door to door salesmen.
(c) Locals on welfare.
6. Why does Miss O'Boyle say that Nonna 's eyes are almost always open, wet and watching?
(a) She doesn't trust Miss O'Boyle.
(b) She doesn't want to miss anything.
(c) She watches her parrot.
(d) She doesn't trust Alice.
7. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
(a) She seeks a father figure.
(b) She avoids all men.
(c) She is angry at all men.
(d) She seeks out troubled men.
8. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
(a) In Florida with a woman from the San.
(b) At the Big House.
(c) With Arlette.
(d) Someplace warm with a man from the San.
9. What is one thing the unreliables take from Aunt Frances?
(d) Her television.
10. What is the San?
(a) A mental asylum.
(b) An office complex.
(c) A museum.
(d) A hospital.
11. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
(a) One winter after she finishes her painting project.
(b) On the day she dresses for a job interview.
(c) One winter when Alice is ten.
(d) On the day that Alice's father dies.
12. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(b) Hit her with an oar.
(c) Hit her with a car.
(d) Dropped her on her head.
13. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
(b) She is angry at having to make a choice.
(c) She dreads having to live with her again.
(d) She deparately wants to live with her again.
14. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
(a) Just Aunt Frances.
(b) Just Alice.
(c) Aunt Frances and Arlette.
(d) Alice and Aunt Frances.
15. Where does Father die?
(a) In his car.
(b) In the ravine by the train tracks.
(c) In the river that flows under Main Street.
(d) In bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Alice's father want to bring Alice and Mother to Florida?
2. How does Alice become an orphan?
3. What does Walter do while listening to music?
4. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
5. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)