|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(b) Uncle Billy.
(c) Nonna takes care of it herself.
(d) Her son, Raymond.
2. Who is Nonna?
(a) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(b) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(c) A foster mother.
(d) Alice's grandmother.
3. What does Alice compare her mother's trip to the San to?
(b) Spring, after a long winter.
(c) The rebirth of a phoenix.
4. What kind of music does Walter enjoy?
(c) Show tunes.
5. Who put coffee in their child's milk bottle?
(b) Arlette's neighbor.
(c) A woman mother meets at the San.
6. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
(a) A Magnavox stereo.
(b) A drawing of his favorite lake.
(c) An entire Brittania encyclopedia set.
(d) Money for his medications.
7. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(a) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
(b) Needed and nurturing.
(d) Stupid and incompetent.
8. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(a) A visitor.
(b) The daughter they never had.
(c) An honored guest.
9. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Dropped her on her head.
(b) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(c) Hit her with an oar.
(d) Hit her with a car.
10. Where does Father die?
(a) In bed.
(b) In the river that flows under Main Street.
(c) In the ravine by the train tracks.
(d) In his car.
11. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
12. Who beats broomsticks against the floor?
(a) The upstairs neighbor.
(c) Aunt Frances.
13. What does Arthur say about Mother in her defense in Part One?
(a) That her gift was creativity, not accounting.
(b) That she was generous and gave things away.
(c) That she understood money was meant to spread joy.
(d) That she loved to shop for gifts.
14. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
(a) On the day that Alice's father dies.
(b) One winter after she finishes her painting project.
(c) One winter when Alice is ten.
(d) On the day she dresses for a job interview.
15. Who does Aunt Frances tell Alice is paying for her living expenses while Mother is in the San?
(b) Mother's Trust.
(c) Uncle Billy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
2. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
3. What does Arthur do for mother?
4. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
5. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)