|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(a) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
(c) Stupid and incompetent.
(d) Needed and nurturing.
2. What is Alice allowed to do with Mother's possessions as they are unpacked?
(a) Decide who to donate them to.
(b) Decide where to keep them.
(c) Look, but not touch.
(d) Select one to keep in her room.
3. What best describes Aunt Frances?
(a) Giving and loving.
(b) Uncertain and lacking confidence.
(c) Orderly and strict.
(d) Firm, but kind.
4. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
(a) Mother's drinking.
(b) Life is embarrasing for Alice.
(c) Life is unpredictable and unstable.
(d) Mother's seizures are getting worse.
5. Who is Nonna?
(a) A foster mother.
(b) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(c) Alice's grandmother.
(d) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
6. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) She's as pretty as dog chew.
(b) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
(c) Her good looks are wasted.
(d) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
7. What best describes Mother's life in the Mother-Arlette section of Part One?
(d) Anally organized.
8. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
(a) Alice and Aunt Frances.
(b) Just Aunt Frances.
(c) Just Alice.
(d) Aunt Frances and Arlette.
9. How is mother treated by her mother and other family members?
(a) She is handled with kid gloves.
(b) She is unappreciated.
(c) She is respected.
(d) She is used and abused.
10. What is true of Mother when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) She is calm.
(b) She is jittery.
(c) She has lost a lot of weight.
(d) She has grown fat.
11. Where is Nonna's house located?
(a) In front of a vast expanse of protected government land.
(b) In the city, next to an art museum.
(c) Down the street from the San.
(d) Across the lake from Uncle Billy's house.
12. What happens to Walter?
(a) He becomes a born again Christian.
(b) He leaves Alice and her mother.
(c) He is mugged and falls into a coma.
(d) He dies from a heart attack.
13. What best describes Walter's appearance?
(a) Fat and overgrown with hair.
(b) Losing hair and scruffy.
(c) Soft curves and sharp eyes.
(d) Disappointed mouth and Einstein hair.
14. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
(b) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
(c) A nude drawing.
(d) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
15. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(b) Her son, Raymond.
(c) Uncle Billy.
(d) Nonna takes care of it herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
2. What does Mother wear when Alice visits her at the San?
3. What does Aunt Frances tell Alice that there are rules about that she needs to learn?
4. What is Walter's favorite drink?
5. What does Arthur call Mother?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)