|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Aunt Frances?
(a) Orderly and strict.
(b) Firm, but kind.
(c) Uncertain and lacking confidence.
(d) Giving and loving.
2. After her mother is gone, what does Alice say is a reason that she should still be around?
(a) She was a good mother.
(b) They share the same name.
(c) Father will come back looking for her.
(d) She had promised to take Alice to Florida.
3. What character trait best describes Walter?
4. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
(c) Steroid medication.
(d) Aunt Frances' demands.
5. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
(a) He writes his name on the back.
(b) He sells them at a pawn shop and gives her the money.
(c) He rehangs them in her bedroom.
(d) He has them framed for her.
6. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
(a) In the car.
(b) On the floor in front of the TV.
(c) At the park.
(d) By the pool.
7. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
(a) Nonna's nurse.
(b) Mother's nurse.
(c) The woman Nonna works for.
(d) Alice's social worker.
8. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
(a) A Magnavox stereo.
(b) A drawing of his favorite lake.
(c) Money for his medications.
(d) An entire Brittania encyclopedia set.
9. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
(a) An orange.
(d) Runny eggs.
10. Who says, "Here's to you, here's to me, here's to our new home!"?
11. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
(b) A nude drawing.
(c) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
(d) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
12. What does Alice say is one of her mother's unusual behaviors?
(a) Rubbing her back against walls.
(b) Licking her fingernails.
(c) Knocking on a doorway before entering a room.
(d) Obsessively turning the faucet off and on.
13. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
(a) A place to find Alice's father.
(b) A solution to their financial woes.
(c) Utopia and an escape.
(d) Healing and health.
14. Who is Nonna?
(a) Alice's grandmother.
(b) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(c) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(d) A foster mother.
15. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
(a) Just Alice.
(b) Just Aunt Frances.
(c) Aunt Frances and Arlette.
(d) Alice and Aunt Frances.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
2. What does Mother tell Alice they will get when they go to Florida?
3. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
4. Who cares for Nonna's property?
5. How do the members of Mother's family react to the gifts she gives them at Christmas?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)