|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss O'Boyle accuse Alice of when she starts coming home late at night?
(a) Looking for trouble.
(b) Being like Mother.
(c) Stealing from Nonna.
(d) Wasting her youth and good looks.
2. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
(a) With Arlette.
(b) In Florida with a woman from the San.
(c) At the Big House.
(d) Someplace warm with a man from the San.
3. Who are the unreliables?
(b) Locals on welfare.
(c) Door to door salesmen.
(d) Hired help.
4. What is true about Father's death?
(a) Father was drinking.
(b) It's a suspected murder.
(c) It's a suspected suicide.
(d) The train driver was drinking.
5. What is true about Nonna?
(a) She cannot speak.
(b) She is very active and loves to swim.
(c) She is blind.
(d) She has fostered over 20 children.
6. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(a) Uncle Billy.
(c) Her son, Raymond.
(d) Nonna takes care of it herself.
7. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
(a) Mother returns to work and the family's financial state is much better after his death.
(b) The family environment becomes troubled.
(c) Alice and Mother fight constantly after his death.
(d) A burden is lifted and there is hope.
8. What happens to Father when Alice is five?
(a) He is abducted.
(b) He drives off one night and never returns.
(c) He goes to meet a business partner and never returns.
(d) He goes to buy milk and is hit by a train.
9. What does Alice promise herself in Part One, when she is 12?
(a) That she will not be like Mother.
(b) That she will be a poet like Father.
(c) That she will live with Mother again.
(d) That she won't let Aunt Frances have Mother's jewelry.
10. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
11. Where does Alice go with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy for an annual trip?
(a) Lake Kerr.
(b) Walt Disney Land.
12. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
(a) Like a showcase home.
(b) As a no-touch house.
(c) Like a museum with off limit ropes.
(d) As a TV family house.
13. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
(b) An orange.
(d) Runny eggs.
14. Who is Walter?
(a) Alice's uncle.
(b) Alice's pet cat.
(c) Mother's boyfriend.
(d) A stray dog.
15. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(a) Farewell letters.
(b) Homemade gifts.
(c) Expensive boutique clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be Arlette's role in the family?
2. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
3. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
4. Who is Aunt Frances?
5. What does Arthur do for mother?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)