|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
(a) The boys she dates.
(b) The men Mother dated before Walter.
(c) Boring men, unlike Father.
(d) People like Arthur.
2. Why is Alice concerned about Arthur in Part One (Father-Mother)?
(a) He seems to be losing his balance.
(b) He is very forgetful.
(c) He has a rash that the doctors can't explain.
(d) He has been ill and looks tired.
3. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She deparately wants to live with her again.
(b) She dreads having to live with her again.
(c) She is angry at having to make a choice.
(d) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
4. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(a) Nonna takes care of it herself.
(b) Uncle Billy.
(c) Her son, Raymond.
5. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Hit her with an oar.
(b) Dropped her on her head.
(c) Hit her with a car.
(d) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
6. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
(a) She beams with pride.
(b) She tosses them aside.
(c) She calls them cheap.
(d) She fusses over silly details.
7. What happens to Walter?
(a) He becomes a born again Christian.
(b) He leaves Alice and her mother.
(c) He dies from a heart attack.
(d) He is mugged and falls into a coma.
8. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
(a) Money for his medications.
(b) A drawing of his favorite lake.
(c) An entire Brittania encyclopedia set.
(d) A Magnavox stereo.
9. What does Arthur say that Mother asked him to do on the way to the San?
(a) Stop for a milkshake.
(b) Take her out of state.
(c) Take her home.
(d) Drive faster.
10. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
(b) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
(c) A nude drawing.
(d) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
11. What is Alice allowed to do with Mother's possessions as they are unpacked?
(a) Decide where to keep them.
(b) Select one to keep in her room.
(c) Look, but not touch.
(d) Decide who to donate them to.
12. What does Alice promise herself in Part One, when she is 12?
(a) That she will be a poet like Father.
(b) That she won't let Aunt Frances have Mother's jewelry.
(c) That she will live with Mother again.
(d) That she will not be like Mother.
13. Where is Nonna's house located?
(a) In the city, next to an art museum.
(b) In front of a vast expanse of protected government land.
(c) Down the street from the San.
(d) Across the lake from Uncle Billy's house.
14. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(b) To bake a fruit cake.
(c) To bake a banana bread.
(d) To make a wreath for Christmas.
15. What kind of music does Walter enjoy?
(c) Show tunes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
2. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
3. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
4. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
5. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)