|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alice refer to her father?
2. Who is Arthur?
(a) An employee of Aunt Frances.
(b) Alice's school friend.
(c) An employee at the San.
(d) Mother's boss.
3. What does Uncle Billy ask Alice at the party the summer that she is 12?
(a) How she feels about living with Mother again.
(b) If she knows how her father died.
(c) What she wants to be when she grows up.
(d) If she is happy living with them.
4. What happens to Father when Alice is five?
(a) He goes to buy milk and is hit by a train.
(b) He drives off one night and never returns.
(c) He goes to meet a business partner and never returns.
(d) He is abducted.
5. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
(a) Depressed and suicidal.
(b) Creative and flamboyant.
(d) Thin and bulimic.
6. What does Arlette suggest is the reason that Mother is mentally unstable?
(a) That Nonna hit her with an oar.
(b) That she was neglected as a child.
(c) That Nonna dropped her on her head.
7. Who is upset about some of the things that Nonna often gives to Alice?
(a) Miss O'Boyle.
(d) Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances.
8. Why did Alice's father want to bring Alice and Mother to Florida?
(a) To create hope and show them sun and warmth.
(b) To get a job at Disneyworld.
(c) To restore Mother's health with the healing sun and fruits.
(d) To escape the misery of his job.
9. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) A slave.
(b) A part of the family.
(c) A grandfather.
(d) An indentured servant.
10. Where does Alice go with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy for an annual trip?
(c) Walt Disney Land.
(d) Lake Kerr.
11. What does Walter do while listening to music?
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Play games.
(d) Rest and stretch.
12. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(a) An honored guest.
(c) A visitor.
(d) The daughter they never had.
13. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(b) To make a wreath for Christmas.
(c) To bake a banana bread.
(d) To bake a fruit cake.
14. Who is Arlette?
(a) Alice's best friend.
(b) Her relationship is not defined.
(c) Alice's cat.
(d) Mother's roommate at the San.
15. Who says, "Here's to you, here's to me, here's to our new home!"?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
2. Where does Alice see a lot of family jewelry, precious silverware, and valuable artwork?
3. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
4. Why does Miss O'Boyle say that Nonna 's eyes are almost always open, wet and watching?
5. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)