|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother wear on the last day Alice sees her in Part One (Mother-Arthur)?
(a) The fuzzy slippers.
(b) The falling leaves coat.
(c) A normal looking tee shirt and jeans.
(d) A formal ball gown.
2. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) Job opportunities for an artist.
(b) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
(c) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
(d) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
3. Where does Alice see a lot of family jewelry, precious silverware, and valuable artwork?
(a) Nonna's house.
(b) Miss O'Boyle's house.
(c) The art museum.
(d) Arlette's house.
4. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) She's as pretty as dog chew.
(b) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(c) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
(d) Her good looks are wasted.
5. What does Arthur say that Mother asked him to do on the way to the San?
(a) Stop for a milkshake.
(b) Drive faster.
(c) Take her out of state.
(d) Take her home.
6. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(b) The daughter they never had.
(c) A visitor.
(d) An honored guest.
7. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
(a) She hopes to live in the Big House with Arthur.
(b) Drama and experience.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) Nothing; she will have to live with Uncle Billy.
8. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
(a) She avoids all men.
(b) She is angry at all men.
(c) She seeks out troubled men.
(d) She seeks a father figure.
9. What is one thing the unreliables take from Aunt Frances?
(c) Her television.
10. What does Miss O'Boyle accuse Alice of when she starts coming home late at night?
(a) Being like Mother.
(b) Stealing from Nonna.
(c) Wasting her youth and good looks.
(d) Looking for trouble.
11. What does Mother do to ordinary straw bags, as described in Part One?
(a) Makes them into stories with dollhouse trinkets.
(b) Turns them into masks.
(c) Makes party favors for Alice's birthday party.
(d) Weaves them with fishwire and ribbon.
12. Where does Alice go with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy for an annual trip?
(a) Lake Kerr.
(d) Walt Disney Land.
13. Who is Arthur?
(a) Alice's school friend.
(b) Mother's boss.
(c) An employee of Aunt Frances.
(d) An employee at the San.
14. Who does Aunt Frances tell Alice is paying for her living expenses while Mother is in the San?
(a) Mother's Trust.
(d) Uncle Billy.
15. What best describes Alice's life with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(c) An adventure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Walter's appearance?
2. How does Alice refer to her father?
3. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
4. What is true about Father's death?
5. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)