|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
(a) One winter when Alice is ten.
(b) One winter after she finishes her painting project.
(c) On the day that Alice's father dies.
(d) On the day she dresses for a job interview.
2. Why does Alice ask Arthur to drive her to the San on a daily drive?
(a) To be close to Mother.
(b) To tell Mother she is leaving with the unreliables.
(c) To bring Mother home.
(d) To bring Mother homemade bread.
3. What is true of Mother when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) She has lost a lot of weight.
(b) She has grown fat.
(c) She is jittery.
(d) She is calm.
4. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
(a) Just Alice.
(b) Aunt Frances and Arlette.
(c) Just Aunt Frances.
(d) Alice and Aunt Frances.
5. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
6. What does Uncle Billy tell Alice her mother needs?
(a) Psychological therapy.
(b) Medical treatment.
(d) A man.
7. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(a) Farewell letters.
(b) Expensive boutique clothing.
(c) Homemade gifts.
8. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) She hopes to live in the Big House with Arthur.
(c) Drama and experience.
(d) Nothing; she will have to live with Uncle Billy.
9. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
(a) People like Arthur.
(b) The boys she dates.
(c) The men Mother dated before Walter.
(d) Boring men, unlike Father.
10. How does Alice refer to her father?
11. What things does Alice mention that Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy give her?
(a) Turquoise jewelry and a birthstone ring.
(b) A fancy computer and an ATM card.
(c) Cochina slippers and ruffled skirts.
(d) An iPod and a cell phone.
12. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
(a) Creative and flamboyant.
(b) Depressed and suicidal.
(c) Thin and bulimic.
13. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To bake a fruit cake.
(b) To bake a banana bread.
(c) To make a wreath for Christmas.
(d) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
14. How old is Alice when her father dies?
(a) She doesn't remember.
(d) It's her 7th birthday.
15. What is true about Nonna?
(a) She has fostered over 20 children.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She is very active and loves to swim.
(d) She cannot speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
2. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
3. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
4. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
5. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)