|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Frances tell Alice that there are rules about that she needs to learn?
(a) The Upper Class.
(c) Speaking to adults.
(d) Dressing and fashion.
2. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She deparately wants to live with her again.
(b) She dreads having to live with her again.
(c) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
(d) She is angry at having to make a choice.
3. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
(a) He rehangs them in her bedroom.
(b) He sells them at a pawn shop and gives her the money.
(c) He writes his name on the back.
(d) He has them framed for her.
4. Who wears a cracked and smelly leather jacket?
5. What best describes Mother's life in the Mother-Arlette section of Part One?
(a) Anally organized.
6. What does Aunt Frances make Alice do?
(a) Attend an etiquette class.
(b) Take two baths a day.
(c) Cut her hair short.
(d) Let her hair grow long.
7. What best describes Nonna's social life?
(a) She devotes her time to her church.
(b) She is a recluse.
(c) Her home is always overrun with children.
(d) Many visitors come to call.
8. Where does Nonna sleep when Alice lives with her?
(a) In the massive king size bed she had shared with her husband.
(b) In a crib-like bed.
(c) On a twin bed just like Alice's.
(d) On the sofa by the fireplace.
9. What does Mother wear when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) Fuzzy slippers.
(b) A blouse with bleach spots.
(c) Stiletto heels.
(d) A discolored wig.
10. What is the San?
(a) A museum.
(b) A hospital.
(c) An office complex.
(d) A mental asylum.
11. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) A part of the family.
(b) A grandfather.
(c) A slave.
(d) An indentured servant.
12. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
(a) She calls them cheap.
(b) She tosses them aside.
(c) She fusses over silly details.
(d) She beams with pride.
13. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
14. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
(a) One winter when Alice is ten.
(b) One winter after she finishes her painting project.
(c) On the day she dresses for a job interview.
(d) On the day that Alice's father dies.
15. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
(a) She seeks out troubled men.
(b) She avoids all men.
(c) She is angry at all men.
(d) She seeks a father figure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
2. What is The Big House?
3. What happens to Walter?
4. Where does Father die?
5. How old is Alice when her father dies?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)