|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is upset about some of the things that Nonna often gives to Alice?
(c) Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances.
(d) Miss O'Boyle.
2. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
(a) The woman Nonna works for.
(b) Nonna's nurse.
(c) Mother's nurse.
(d) Alice's social worker.
3. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Hit her with a car.
(b) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(c) Hit her with an oar.
(d) Dropped her on her head.
4. What does Mother do to ordinary straw bags, as described in Part One?
(a) Turns them into masks.
(b) Makes party favors for Alice's birthday party.
(c) Makes them into stories with dollhouse trinkets.
(d) Weaves them with fishwire and ribbon.
5. What does Miss O'Boyle accuse Alice of when she starts coming home late at night?
(a) Being like Mother.
(b) Stealing from Nonna.
(c) Looking for trouble.
(d) Wasting her youth and good looks.
6. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To bake a banana bread.
(b) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(c) To bake a fruit cake.
(d) To make a wreath for Christmas.
7. What does Mother tell Alice they will get when they go to Florida?
(b) Blonde and skinny.
(c) A house with a pool.
(d) A bird.
8. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(b) Homemade gifts.
(c) Farewell letters.
(d) Expensive boutique clothing.
9. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
(a) That she is cruel.
(b) That she pays well.
(c) That she is glad to be rid of Alice.
(d) That she is like every white woman.
10. What best describes Walter and Mother's relationship?
11. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
(a) Mother's seizures are getting worse.
(b) Life is unpredictable and unstable.
(c) Life is embarrasing for Alice.
(d) Mother's drinking.
12. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
(b) An orange.
(c) Runny eggs.
13. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
14. How is mother treated by her mother and other family members?
(a) She is handled with kid gloves.
(b) She is unappreciated.
(c) She is respected.
(d) She is used and abused.
15. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
(a) Like a museum with off limit ropes.
(b) Like a showcase home.
(c) As a no-touch house.
(d) As a TV family house.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her mother is gone, what does Alice say is a reason that she should still be around?
2. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
3. What kind of music does Walter enjoy?
4. What best describes Mother's life in the Mother-Arlette section of Part One?
5. Where does Nonna sleep when Alice lives with her?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)