|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
(a) Boring men, unlike Father.
(b) The boys she dates.
(c) The men Mother dated before Walter.
(d) People like Arthur.
2. Who is upset about some of the things that Nonna often gives to Alice?
(a) Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances.
(c) Miss O'Boyle.
3. How old is Alice when she goes to live with Nonna?
4. What happens to Walter?
(a) He becomes a born again Christian.
(b) He leaves Alice and her mother.
(c) He is mugged and falls into a coma.
(d) He dies from a heart attack.
5. Who is Aunt Frances?
(a) Mother's sister-in-law.
(b) The old lady who lives next door.
(c) Father's 98-year-old aunt.
(d) An employee at the San.
6. What does Mother do to ordinary straw bags, as described in Part One?
(a) Makes party favors for Alice's birthday party.
(b) Makes them into stories with dollhouse trinkets.
(c) Weaves them with fishwire and ribbon.
(d) Turns them into masks.
7. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) A slave.
(b) An indentured servant.
(c) A grandfather.
(d) A part of the family.
8. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
(a) He rehangs them in her bedroom.
(b) He writes his name on the back.
(c) He sells them at a pawn shop and gives her the money.
(d) He has them framed for her.
9. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(b) To bake a banana bread.
(c) To bake a fruit cake.
(d) To make a wreath for Christmas.
10. Who beats broomsticks against the floor?
(a) Aunt Frances.
(b) The upstairs neighbor.
11. Who is Nonna?
(a) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(b) Alice's grandmother.
(c) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(d) A foster mother.
12. What things does Alice mention that Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy give her?
(a) An iPod and a cell phone.
(b) Turquoise jewelry and a birthstone ring.
(c) Cochina slippers and ruffled skirts.
(d) A fancy computer and an ATM card.
13. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
(b) Steroid medication.
(d) Aunt Frances' demands.
14. Who is Arthur?
(a) An employee at the San.
(b) Mother's boss.
(c) Alice's school friend.
(d) An employee of Aunt Frances.
15. What character trait best describes Walter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Nonna's social life?
2. What best describes Aunt Frances?
3. What does Uncle Billy ask Alice at the party the summer that she is 12?
4. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
5. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)