|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
(a) Healing and health.
(b) A solution to their financial woes.
(c) A place to find Alice's father.
(d) Utopia and an escape.
2. What does Mother do that embarrasses Alice when she visits her at the San?
(a) Cries in public.
(b) Sits on a piano and sings.
(c) Introduces Alice as "my sister."
(d) Laughs like a crazy woman.
3. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
4. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
(a) Just Aunt Frances.
(b) Aunt Frances and Arlette.
(c) Alice and Aunt Frances.
(d) Just Alice.
5. What happens to Walter?
(a) He is mugged and falls into a coma.
(b) He leaves Alice and her mother.
(c) He dies from a heart attack.
(d) He becomes a born again Christian.
6. What does Alice compare her mother's trip to the San to?
(a) Spring, after a long winter.
(b) The rebirth of a phoenix.
7. What seems to be Arlette's role in the family?
(a) Peace keeper.
(b) To point out everyone's good points.
(c) Book keeper.
(d) To point out everyone's flaws.
8. What does Walter do while listening to music?
(a) Play games.
(b) Smoke cigarettes.
(c) Rest and stretch.
9. What does Aunt Frances tell Alice that there are rules about that she needs to learn?
(a) Speaking to adults.
(b) The Upper Class.
(d) Dressing and fashion.
10. Who does Aunt Frances tell Alice is paying for her living expenses while Mother is in the San?
(b) Mother's Trust.
(d) Uncle Billy.
11. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) Job opportunities for an artist.
(b) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
(c) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
(d) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
12. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
(b) A nude drawing.
(c) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
(d) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
13. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) Her good looks are wasted.
(b) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(c) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
(d) She's as pretty as dog chew.
14. What does Arthur say that Mother gave him?
(a) A Magnavox stereo.
(b) A drawing of his favorite lake.
(c) Money for his medications.
(d) An entire Brittania encyclopedia set.
15. What does Arlette suggest is the reason that Mother is mentally unstable?
(a) That Nonna dropped her on her head.
(b) That she was neglected as a child.
(d) That Nonna hit her with an oar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT something that Alice does in Tuscon?
2. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
3. Who is Arlette?
4. What does Uncle Billy tell Alice her mother needs?
5. What does Alice ask Arthur when he looks tired?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)