|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Walter's favorite drink?
(b) Ginger ale.
2. What is Alice allowed to do with Mother's possessions as they are unpacked?
(a) Select one to keep in her room.
(b) Decide where to keep them.
(c) Look, but not touch.
(d) Decide who to donate them to.
3. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
(a) The family environment becomes troubled.
(b) A burden is lifted and there is hope.
(c) Alice and Mother fight constantly after his death.
(d) Mother returns to work and the family's financial state is much better after his death.
4. What does Alice say is one of her mother's unusual behaviors?
(a) Knocking on a doorway before entering a room.
(b) Licking her fingernails.
(c) Rubbing her back against walls.
(d) Obsessively turning the faucet off and on.
5. What does Mother wear on the last day Alice sees her in Part One (Mother-Arthur)?
(a) A formal ball gown.
(b) A normal looking tee shirt and jeans.
(c) The falling leaves coat.
(d) The fuzzy slippers.
6. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(b) Hit her with an oar.
(c) Dropped her on her head.
(d) Hit her with a car.
7. Who is Miss O'Boyle?
(a) Alice's social worker.
(b) Nonna's nurse.
(c) Mother's nurse.
(d) The woman Nonna works for.
8. What does Miss O'Boyle accuse Alice of when she starts coming home late at night?
(a) Stealing from Nonna.
(b) Wasting her youth and good looks.
(c) Being like Mother.
(d) Looking for trouble.
9. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(a) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
(b) Stupid and incompetent.
(c) Needed and nurturing.
10. What character trait best describes Walter?
11. Who is Arlette?
(a) Mother's roommate at the San.
(b) Her relationship is not defined.
(c) Alice's cat.
(d) Alice's best friend.
12. What does Alice ask Arthur when he looks tired?
(a) If he is taking his medication.
(b) Where the bus stop is.
(c) How he is sleeping.
(d) If he needs to rest.
13. Where does Alice see a lot of family jewelry, precious silverware, and valuable artwork?
(a) The art museum.
(b) Arlette's house.
(c) Nonna's house.
(d) Miss O'Boyle's house.
14. What does Aunt Frances tell Alice that there are rules about that she needs to learn?
(a) Speaking to adults.
(b) The Upper Class.
(c) Dressing and fashion.
15. Why does Aunt Frances say that Alice should call her rather than the nurses?
(a) So Uncle Billy can lock the house when Nonna dies.
(b) So that Alice doesn't have to watch Nonna die.
(c) Because the nurses are unreliable.
(d) Because family should take care of family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about Nonna?
2. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
3. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
4. Why does Miss O'Boyle say that Nonna 's eyes are almost always open, wet and watching?
5. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)