|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Frances tell Alice that there are rules about that she needs to learn?
(a) Speaking to adults.
(b) The Upper Class.
(c) Dressing and fashion.
2. What does Arthur say about Mother in her defense in Part One?
(a) That she was generous and gave things away.
(b) That her gift was creativity, not accounting.
(c) That she loved to shop for gifts.
(d) That she understood money was meant to spread joy.
3. Where does Nonna sleep when Alice lives with her?
(a) On the sofa by the fireplace.
(b) In the massive king size bed she had shared with her husband.
(c) In a crib-like bed.
(d) On a twin bed just like Alice's.
4. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She is angry at having to make a choice.
(b) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
(c) She dreads having to live with her again.
(d) She deparately wants to live with her again.
5. Who is Walter?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) Alice's uncle.
(c) Alice's pet cat.
(d) Mother's boyfriend.
6. How does Alice refer to her father?
7. What is Alice's mother's name?
8. How old is Alice when she goes to live with Nonna?
9. What does Arthur do for mother?
(a) Drives her to the San.
(b) Carries her groceries.
(c) Mows her lawn.
(d) Buys her lunch.
10. What best describes Nonna's social life?
(a) Many visitors come to call.
(b) She is a recluse.
(c) Her home is always overrun with children.
(d) She devotes her time to her church.
11. Why does Alice ask Arthur to drive her to the San on a daily drive?
(a) To tell Mother she is leaving with the unreliables.
(b) To bring Mother home.
(c) To bring Mother homemade bread.
(d) To be close to Mother.
12. What does Uncle Billy ask Alice at the party the summer that she is 12?
(a) If she knows how her father died.
(b) How she feels about living with Mother again.
(c) What she wants to be when she grows up.
(d) If she is happy living with them.
13. What is Alice's main feeling, as expressed in Part One, about being orphaned?
(a) Grief; she barely gets out of bed.
(b) Confused that Mother doesn't stay with her.
(c) Relief that she is no longer abused.
(d) Anger that good parents are taken away while bad parents pollute the earth.
14. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
(a) By choking on her dinner.
(b) By almost drowning in an innertube.
(c) By teasing an angry tomcat.
(d) By falling out of a tree.
15. Who is Nonna?
(a) A foster mother.
(b) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(c) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(d) Alice's grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character trait best describes Walter?
2. How does Alice say Mother sounds when she speaks?
3. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
4. What best describes Mother's life in the Mother-Arlette section of Part One?
5. What does Alice promise herself in Part One, when she is 12?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)