|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Arthur do for mother?
(a) Carries her groceries.
(b) Drives her to the San.
(c) Mows her lawn.
(d) Buys her lunch.
2. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
(a) By falling out of a tree.
(b) By choking on her dinner.
(c) By teasing an angry tomcat.
(d) By almost drowning in an innertube.
3. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She deparately wants to live with her again.
(b) She dreads having to live with her again.
(c) She is angry at having to make a choice.
(d) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
4. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
5. What best describes Mother before she goes to the San?
(a) Depressed and suicidal.
(b) Creative and flamboyant.
(c) Thin and bulimic.
6. What does Florida represent to Alice and mother?
(a) Healing and health.
(b) A place to find Alice's father.
(c) A solution to their financial woes.
(d) Utopia and an escape.
7. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(a) Homemade gifts.
(b) Farewell letters.
(c) Expensive boutique clothing.
8. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
(a) Aunt Frances' demands.
(d) Steroid medication.
9. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
(b) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
(c) A nude drawing.
(d) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
10. Why does Aunt Frances say that Alice should call her rather than the nurses?
(a) Because the nurses are unreliable.
(b) Because family should take care of family.
(c) So that Alice doesn't have to watch Nonna die.
(d) So Uncle Billy can lock the house when Nonna dies.
11. What does Arlette suggest is the reason that Mother is mentally unstable?
(a) That Nonna dropped her on her head.
(b) That she was neglected as a child.
(d) That Nonna hit her with an oar.
12. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(b) Needed and nurturing.
(c) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
(d) Stupid and incompetent.
13. What is true about Nonna?
(a) She cannot speak.
(b) She is very active and loves to swim.
(c) She has fostered over 20 children.
(d) She is blind.
14. What is true of Mother when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) She is calm.
(b) She has lost a lot of weight.
(c) She has grown fat.
(d) She is jittery.
15. Who is upset about some of the things that Nonna often gives to Alice?
(a) Miss O'Boyle.
(d) Uncle Billy and Aunt Frances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Arthur?
2. What best describes Walter's appearance?
3. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
4. What is the San?
5. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)