|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possession of Mother's does Aunt Frances berate Alice for touching?
(a) Thumb-cut crystal glasses.
(b) A nude drawing.
(c) The opal earring that Aunt Frances wants to wear.
(d) Her parent's gold framed wedding photo.
2. Why did Alice's father want to bring Alice and Mother to Florida?
(a) To get a job at Disneyworld.
(b) To create hope and show them sun and warmth.
(c) To restore Mother's health with the healing sun and fruits.
(d) To escape the misery of his job.
3. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
(a) Like a showcase home.
(b) Like a museum with off limit ropes.
(c) As a TV family house.
(d) As a no-touch house.
4. What does Alice say is one of her mother's unusual behaviors?
(a) Licking her fingernails.
(b) Obsessively turning the faucet off and on.
(c) Rubbing her back against walls.
(d) Knocking on a doorway before entering a room.
5. Who beats broomsticks against the floor?
(c) Aunt Frances.
(d) The upstairs neighbor.
6. How does Alice refer to her father?
7. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) An indentured servant.
(b) A slave.
(c) A grandfather.
(d) A part of the family.
8. Who is Walter?
(a) Mother's boyfriend.
(b) Alice's uncle.
(c) A stray dog.
(d) Alice's pet cat.
9. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(b) Her good looks are wasted.
(c) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
(d) She's as pretty as dog chew.
10. How does Walter make Mother feel about herself?
(a) Stupid and incompetent.
(b) Needed and nurturing.
(c) Like she is a better person than she used to be.
11. What is Alice allowed to do with Mother's possessions as they are unpacked?
(a) Look, but not touch.
(b) Select one to keep in her room.
(c) Decide where to keep them.
(d) Decide who to donate them to.
12. What does Alice promise herself in Part One, when she is 12?
(a) That she will be a poet like Father.
(b) That she will not be like Mother.
(c) That she won't let Aunt Frances have Mother's jewelry.
(d) That she will live with Mother again.
13. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(a) The daughter they never had.
(c) A visitor.
(d) An honored guest.
14. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
(a) On the day that Alice's father dies.
(b) One winter when Alice is ten.
(c) On the day she dresses for a job interview.
(d) One winter after she finishes her painting project.
15. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(b) Hit her with an oar.
(c) Hit her with a car.
(d) Dropped her on her head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Frances make Alice do?
2. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
3. What does Miss O'Boyle accuse Alice of when she starts coming home late at night?
4. How does Alice become an orphan?
5. What does Mother do that embarrasses Alice when she visits her at the San?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)