|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Walter do while listening to music?
(a) Smoke cigarettes.
(b) Rest and stretch.
(d) Play games.
2. What does Uncle Billy tell Alice her mother needs?
(b) Psychological therapy.
(c) Medical treatment.
(d) A man.
3. What does Alice compare her mother's trip to the San to?
(b) Spring, after a long winter.
(c) The rebirth of a phoenix.
4. Who does Alice refer to as the Bobs and Ricks?
(a) Boring men, unlike Father.
(b) The men Mother dated before Walter.
(c) People like Arthur.
(d) The boys she dates.
5. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) An indentured servant.
(b) A part of the family.
(c) A slave.
(d) A grandfather.
6. What does Arthur say about Mother in her defense in Part One?
(a) That her gift was creativity, not accounting.
(b) That she was generous and gave things away.
(c) That she loved to shop for gifts.
(d) That she understood money was meant to spread joy.
7. What is true about Father's death?
(a) It's a suspected suicide.
(b) Father was drinking.
(c) It's a suspected murder.
(d) The train driver was drinking.
8. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
(a) By falling out of a tree.
(b) By almost drowning in an innertube.
(c) By teasing an angry tomcat.
(d) By choking on her dinner.
9. What is NOT something that Alice does in Tuscon?
(a) Rides horses.
(b) Collects stones for jewelry.
(c) Swims in the pool.
(d) Browses in bookstores.
10. What character trait best describes Walter?
11. What does Arthur call Mother?
(b) Miss Alice.
(d) Mrs. Bennet.
12. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) Job opportunities for an artist.
(b) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
(c) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
(d) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
13. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
(a) She is angry at all men.
(b) She avoids all men.
(c) She seeks a father figure.
(d) She seeks out troubled men.
14. What does Alice say is in it for her if Nonna dies?
(a) She hopes to live in the Big House with Arthur.
(b) Drama and experience.
(c) Nothing; she will have to live with Uncle Billy.
(d) An inheritance.
15. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) Her good looks are wasted.
(b) She's as pretty as dog chew.
(c) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(d) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
2. What does Alice ask Arthur when he looks tired?
3. What does Alice recall eating while her father talked of Florida, in Part One?
4. How is mother treated by her mother and other family members?
5. Why does Miss O'Boyle say that Nonna 's eyes are almost always open, wet and watching?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)