|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
(a) At the park.
(b) By the pool.
(c) In the car.
(d) On the floor in front of the TV.
2. Who is Walter?
(a) Alice's uncle.
(b) A stray dog.
(c) Alice's pet cat.
(d) Mother's boyfriend.
3. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) She's as pretty as dog chew.
(b) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(c) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
(d) Her good looks are wasted.
4. How does Alice say that Arthur dies?
(a) An accidental drowning.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) A car accident.
5. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
(a) Alice and Mother fight constantly after his death.
(b) A burden is lifted and there is hope.
(c) Mother returns to work and the family's financial state is much better after his death.
(d) The family environment becomes troubled.
6. Who says, "Here's to you, here's to me, here's to our new home!"?
7. Who are the unreliables?
(a) Door to door salesmen.
(c) Hired help.
(d) Locals on welfare.
8. Does Alice want to live with Mother again?
(a) She is conflicted, as her life is now stable.
(b) She deparately wants to live with her again.
(c) She is angry at having to make a choice.
(d) She dreads having to live with her again.
9. What best describes Nonna's social life?
(a) She devotes her time to her church.
(b) Many visitors come to call.
(c) Her home is always overrun with children.
(d) She is a recluse.
10. Who put coffee in their child's milk bottle?
(a) Arlette's neighbor.
(d) A woman mother meets at the San.
11. How is mother treated by her mother and other family members?
(a) She is respected.
(b) She is used and abused.
(c) She is handled with kid gloves.
(d) She is unappreciated.
12. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To bake a fruit cake.
(b) To make a wreath for Christmas.
(c) To bake a banana bread.
(d) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
13. After her mother is gone, what does Alice say is a reason that she should still be around?
(a) Father will come back looking for her.
(b) She was a good mother.
(c) She had promised to take Alice to Florida.
(d) They share the same name.
14. How does Nonna react to the straw bag creations of Mother's?
(a) She beams with pride.
(b) She tosses them aside.
(c) She calls them cheap.
(d) She fusses over silly details.
15. Why does Aunt Frances say that Alice should call her rather than the nurses?
(a) So Uncle Billy can lock the house when Nonna dies.
(b) Because family should take care of family.
(c) Because the nurses are unreliable.
(d) So that Alice doesn't have to watch Nonna die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about Father's death?
2. When does Mother go to the San in Part One?
3. What is NOT something that Alice does in Tuscon?
4. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
5. What does Mother wear on the last day Alice sees her in Part One (Mother-Arthur)?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)