|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does life after the death of Alice's father compare to life before his death?
(a) Mother returns to work and the family's financial state is much better after his death.
(b) Alice and Mother fight constantly after his death.
(c) A burden is lifted and there is hope.
(d) The family environment becomes troubled.
2. Why does Alice ask Arthur to drive her to the San on a daily drive?
(a) To bring Mother home.
(b) To be close to Mother.
(c) To bring Mother homemade bread.
(d) To tell Mother she is leaving with the unreliables.
3. How does Mother relate to men after the death of Alice's father?
(a) She seeks a father figure.
(b) She seeks out troubled men.
(c) She is angry at all men.
(d) She avoids all men.
4. What does Uncle Billy tell Alice her mother needs?
(a) Medical treatment.
(b) A man.
(c) Psychological therapy.
5. Who does Aunt Frances tell Alice is paying for her living expenses while Mother is in the San?
(b) Mother's Trust.
(d) Uncle Billy.
6. What does Arthur do for mother?
(a) Carries her groceries.
(b) Buys her lunch.
(c) Mows her lawn.
(d) Drives her to the San.
7. How does Mother use overripe fruit, as described in Part One?
(a) To decorate a mantle for Christmas.
(b) To bake a banana bread.
(c) To bake a fruit cake.
(d) To make a wreath for Christmas.
8. What best describes Walter's appearance?
(a) Soft curves and sharp eyes.
(b) Losing hair and scruffy.
(c) Fat and overgrown with hair.
(d) Disappointed mouth and Einstein hair.
9. What is Alice's main concern about living with Mother?
(a) Life is unpredictable and unstable.
(b) Mother's seizures are getting worse.
(c) Life is embarrasing for Alice.
(d) Mother's drinking.
10. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
(b) Job opportunities for an artist.
(c) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
(d) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
11. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
(a) In Florida with a woman from the San.
(b) Someplace warm with a man from the San.
(c) At the Big House.
(d) With Arlette.
12. Where do Alice and Arthur sometimes nap?
(a) By the pool.
(b) At the park.
(c) On the floor in front of the TV.
(d) In the car.
13. What is true about Father's death?
(a) Father was drinking.
(b) It's a suspected murder.
(c) The train driver was drinking.
(d) It's a suspected suicide.
14. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(b) Expensive boutique clothing.
(c) Homemade gifts.
(d) Farewell letters.
15. Who says, "Here's to you, here's to me, here's to our new home!"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who unpacks Mother's things after she goes to the San in Part One?
2. Where does Nonna sleep when Alice lives with her?
3. What is Alice's mother's name?
4. Who put coffee in their child's milk bottle?
5. Who cares for Nonna's property?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)