|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Nonna's social life?
(a) She is a recluse.
(b) She devotes her time to her church.
(c) Her home is always overrun with children.
(d) Many visitors come to call.
2. Where does Father die?
(a) In the river that flows under Main Street.
(b) In the ravine by the train tracks.
(c) In his car.
(d) In bed.
3. What best describes Alice's life with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(a) An adventure.
4. How does Alice refer to Arthur in Part 1?
(a) A slave.
(b) A grandfather.
(c) A part of the family.
(d) An indentured servant.
5. What does Mother do to ordinary straw bags, as described in Part One?
(a) Weaves them with fishwire and ribbon.
(b) Makes them into stories with dollhouse trinkets.
(c) Turns them into masks.
(d) Makes party favors for Alice's birthday party.
6. What does Alice's family believe is in Florida?
(a) Job opportunities for an artist.
(b) Doctors who understand the healing power of nature.
(c) An abundance of sweet, ripe fruits.
(d) Homes that the working class can afford to buy.
7. What is Walter's favorite drink?
(d) Ginger ale.
8. What does Mother bring to her family members on Christmas?
(a) Farewell letters.
(c) Homemade gifts.
(d) Expensive boutique clothing.
9. Where does Mother live after she checks out of the San?
(a) In Florida with a woman from the San.
(b) Someplace warm with a man from the San.
(c) At the Big House.
(d) With Arlette.
10. Where is Nonna's house located?
(a) Across the lake from Uncle Billy's house.
(b) In the city, next to an art museum.
(c) Down the street from the San.
(d) In front of a vast expanse of protected government land.
11. Who cares for Nonna's property?
(a) Her son, Raymond.
(b) Nonna takes care of it herself.
(d) Uncle Billy.
12. How old is Alice when her father dies?
(b) It's her 7th birthday.
(c) She doesn't remember.
13. What does Mother wear on the last day Alice sees her in Part One (Mother-Arthur)?
(a) A formal ball gown.
(b) A normal looking tee shirt and jeans.
(c) The fuzzy slippers.
(d) The falling leaves coat.
14. Who hosts a party the summer that Alice is 12?
(d) Uncle Billy.
15. What does Arlette say that Nonna once did to Mother?
(a) Hit her with an oar.
(b) Forgot to put her in the car for a family trip.
(c) Dropped her on her head.
(d) Hit her with a car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT something that Alice does in Tuscon?
2. What is true of Mother when Alice visits her at the San?
3. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
4. How does Alice refer to her father?
5. Who are the unreliables?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)