|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice worry will harm Arthur?
(c) Aunt Frances' demands.
(d) Steroid medication.
2. What does Alice say she feels like, living with Aunt Frances and Uncle Billy?
(a) An honored guest.
(c) A visitor.
(d) The daughter they never had.
3. What is true of Mother when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) She is calm.
(b) She has lost a lot of weight.
(c) She is jittery.
(d) She has grown fat.
4. What does Uncle Billy do to some of Nonna's valuable pictures?
(a) He writes his name on the back.
(b) He has them framed for her.
(c) He sells them at a pawn shop and gives her the money.
(d) He rehangs them in her bedroom.
5. How does Alice say Mother sounds when she speaks?
(a) Affected, like she is searching for the proper accent.
(b) Excitedly; she seems to echo off the walls.
(c) Quiet, like she hasn't yet woken up.
(d) Uninflectedly, like she's thinking of something else.
6. Who is Nonna?
(a) Aunt Frances's grandmother.
(b) A nurse who lives with Alice's grandmother.
(c) A foster mother.
(d) Alice's grandmother.
7. What does Mother wear when Alice visits her at the San?
(a) Stiletto heels.
(b) Fuzzy slippers.
(c) A blouse with bleach spots.
(d) A discolored wig.
8. What does Mother tell Alice they will get when they go to Florida?
(a) A bird.
(b) A house with a pool.
(c) Blonde and skinny.
9. What do the unreliables say about Aunt Frances?
(a) That she is glad to be rid of Alice.
(b) That she is cruel.
(c) That she is like every white woman.
(d) That she pays well.
10. What does Arthur call Mother?
(a) Mrs. Bennet.
(b) Miss Alice.
11. How does Alice scare Arlette when she visits her?
(a) By almost drowning in an innertube.
(b) By falling out of a tree.
(c) By teasing an angry tomcat.
(d) By choking on her dinner.
12. Where is Nonna's house located?
(a) In the city, next to an art museum.
(b) Down the street from the San.
(c) Across the lake from Uncle Billy's house.
(d) In front of a vast expanse of protected government land.
13. What does Arlette suggest is the reason that Mother is mentally unstable?
(a) That she was neglected as a child.
(b) That Nonna hit her with an oar.
(d) That Nonna dropped her on her head.
14. What does Mother say of Arlette's appearance?
(a) She's as pretty as a pail of worms.
(b) Her good looks are wasted.
(c) She's as pretty as dog chew.
(d) She chased her good looks away on the last train.
15. Who is Arlette?
(a) Alice's best friend.
(b) Alice's cat.
(c) Mother's roommate at the San.
(d) Her relationship is not defined.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Nonna's social life?
2. How does Alice describe Aunt Frances' and Uncle Billy's house when she first goes to stay with them?
3. What does Alice say is one of her mother's unusual behaviors?
4. What is The Big House?
5. What type of feeling does Walter bring to Alice's home?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)