Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mother's unusual behavior in the first chapter of Florida.
2. What do you think Alice's family was like before her father's death, based on information in the first chapter of the book?
3. Why is Florida important to Alice?
4. What is Walter like?
5. Why does Alice call the San Mother's Florida?
6. How would you describe Mother's relationships with men?
7. How does Alice compare Walter and Father?
8. Do you think Father intended to take his family to Florida?
9. Explain the circumstances that lead to Alice becoming an orphan.
10. Why do you think Alice and her mother have the same name?
11. Describe Walter's departure.
12. How is Arthur's presence during Mother's trip to the San in Part One: Mother-Arthur important?
13. Describe some of Mother's strengths.
14. Why do you think Mother makes such extravagant gifts for her family at Christmas?
15. Does Uncle Billy love Alice?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)